Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Weird Bnet Stuff

AuthorMessageTime
Soul Taker
I was hanging out in my channel, and a friend whispered me asking me to come to his channel (a popular War3 channel often full). I joined after getting the 'Channel is full.' error a couple times, and he tells me 'i cant ban them'. I inquire who 'them' is, and he left.

He then tells me he can't get back in the channel, because it is full. I only saw 33 people in the channel. He then went to The Void (on real War3, not a bot), and told me he could see 142 people in The Void, talking and everything. I thought this was just some weird anomaly of The Void, and went on chatting.

Then I started getting random whispers from people on USEast (I was on Azeroth), talking about seeing people in the void and being banned from the void and such. I whispered a couple people back, and they were like 'who are you? i never whispered you?'.

So apparently I was getting whispers from random people. Just thought I'd share this weirdness! I know there was a topic about intercepting whispers and the weirdness of The Void, but I couldn't find it with a search, so oh well.

Edit: broke this into a few paragraphs because it turned out to be one large hunk of text and I didn't think anyone would want to read that.
November 21, 2003, 10:08 PM
UserLoser.
might have something to do with all these random server drops on east, just in the past half hour 63.240.202.120 dropped along with another one. last night some dropped too
November 21, 2003, 10:51 PM
Spht
This is known issue. On a related note: under correct circumstances, while being in The Void, you can receive all chat & channel-specific events from a random channel without that channel having any idea of your presence. The channel Battle.net feeds you appears random, but is most likely chosen as something like "first or last channel in memory."
November 22, 2003, 1:44 AM
Skywing
I'd guess that it's got a bad pointer or overflowed a buffer somewhere. Eventually, the affected server seems to crash after exhibiting this behavior.
November 22, 2003, 3:28 AM
Denial
Yes i would have to agree, i've done it before as well. Whenever you start to see people in the void the server you are on is about to crash that's my idea
November 22, 2003, 7:18 AM
hismajesty
[quote author=Denial link=board=2;threadid=3743;start=0#msg30645 date=1069485502]
Yes i would have to agree, i've done it before as well. Whenever you start to see people in the void the server you are on is about to crash that's my idea
[/quote]

Not so, last time I noticed this happening I waited for the server to drop and it didn't.
November 22, 2003, 9:38 PM
iago
Buffer overflow, eh? Wonder if it's possible to execute arbitrary code when that happens :)
November 22, 2003, 10:39 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=3743;start=0#msg30737 date=1069540795]
Buffer overflow, eh? Wonder if it's possible to execute arbitrary code when that happens :)
[/quote]
Do I smell "Iago's Balrog Skin Of PwNaGe"?
November 22, 2003, 11:44 PM

Search