Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Assembly Language (any cpu) | 68k (680x0) sucks

AuthorMessageTime
iago
There, I said it.  

I write my homework in x86 then convert it! grrr@learning outdated archetectures (I'm so mad I can't even spell it! :))
February 10, 2003, 8:50 PM
Adron
It doesn't really suck. It's a much nicer architecture to learn than ix86. It just suffers from ibm pc getting popular. Besides, as far as I know, x86 assembler has a very small share of todays total assembler instruction sets.
February 10, 2003, 8:56 PM
Grok
As I understand it, a significant emphases of the design of the motorola 68000 was for programmers.
February 10, 2003, 9:25 PM
iago
Ok, it doesn't suck then.  It's just a pain to have to learn if after knowing something that's more difficult.  Although "blt" is must better than the x86 equivolant because it makes me think of a sandwich, and "bra" is the best instruction in any set by far :)
February 10, 2003, 10:08 PM
KaSiaL
LOL, I'm a student of Authomation & Robotics at the Silesian Technical University in Poland. Last year on the Microprocessor Techniques classes we programming 68k-s, too. ;D We were also messing with i805x, AT91x, Analog-Digital Converters, serial port communication and bunch more.
February 19, 2003, 10:16 PM
Grok
YES!!  Now we have a pole to make fun of   :P
February 19, 2003, 10:31 PM
Etheran
grrr, everybody has these interesting classes but me.. I'm stuck with CIS-1A (introduction to computers)!!!!
They made me take it, btw.
February 20, 2003, 3:54 PM
Yoni
Err, is that introduction to computers, or introduction to computer science?
February 20, 2003, 4:15 PM
Grok
[quote]grrr, everybody has these interesting classes but me.. I'm stuck with CIS-1A (introduction to computers)!!!!
They made me take it, btw.[/quote]

You dummy.  Have you ever heard of going to the dean to get permission to skip the class?  Also, if computer science is your major and you can test out of the class, just ask for the final exam.  Either the dean writes a waiver or you test out of the class.  Don't waste valuable time and money being stupid taking classes designed for stupid people.

Not intended to flame here, just to say man that's stupid taking classes you can already pass.  You're a student there to learn, not a potatoe to be processed.  You DON'T have to go through the assembly line.
February 20, 2003, 4:29 PM
iago
You're making the assumption that it's a College/University level course.  Chances are, he's in Highschool and they don't care how much you know, you have to take the course if it's required :)
February 20, 2003, 5:42 PM
Grok
Oh. LOL.  Damn good point Iago.
February 20, 2003, 7:18 PM
Etheran
But I'm not and I'm taking it anyways.  It would be a hassle to try and get into another class now because I need 12+ units.  If I drop CIS-1a it brings me down to 9 and that's not cool with FSA.
February 22, 2003, 6:27 PM
Grok
[quote]But I'm not and I'm taking it anyways.  It would be a hassle to try and get into another class now because I need 12+ units.  If I drop CIS-1a it brings me down to 9 and that's not cool with FSA.[/quote]

Only 12 units?  That explains why you're a compsci student and have time for so much counterstrike.
February 22, 2003, 9:25 PM
Etheran
hehe.. I'll have more units next semester.
February 23, 2003, 12:14 AM
St0rm.iD
"OK class, open visual basics"
February 25, 2003, 11:14 PM
Etheran
First class assignment: email the teacher!!
February 26, 2003, 6:43 PM
iago
[quote]First class assignment: email the teacher!![/quote]

Should mailbomb her, might get bonus marks!
February 26, 2003, 10:09 PM
Yoni
[quote]

Should mailbomb her, might get bonus marks![/quote]
Write a program in 680x0 assembly that does that!
February 27, 2003, 1:13 PM
iago
[quote]
Write a program in 680x0 assembly that does that![/quote]

Impossible; for 68k we're using an ugly virtual machine, so we can't do anything outside of it.
February 27, 2003, 2:31 PM
Nova1313
actualyl some highschools care. I tested out of vb coarse at my school pricipal gave me permission. If you goto guidence if you are a senior in highschool some colleges let you take courses there at night for college and highschool credit it's what im doing..

I have school from 8-3 then I take 3 college classes at night during the week(all year but 1 last semester 2 this semester) . This semester I have cs 2 and a calc class.

They all ended up getting paid for by the college as When you do it you get excepted into the dean scholars program there. Most colleges offer this they just dont tell you about it.

It's hard and it takes alot of time management skill and be prepared to have no life but in the long run i think it's worth it. If honors physics 2 in highschool wasn't 8th period they would let me out 4th period so id have more time but there are scheduling restrictions for me.

As for the outdated processors yes i know they suck. We just got through assembly on a mac - 1 machine which is a simple machine that was made up in a book a really long time ago. Someone actually went and implimented it made a little emulator and you can write assembly for it. Things like that I'll never use but boy was it an experience.
April 3, 2003, 5:15 AM
Grok
Big mistake, in my opinion. This is a little off topic of assembly.

You only are 17-18 once in your life. You damn well ought to be having fun, dating girls, going out with friends, living carefree. Don't give up the best time of your life to be sitting in classrooms.

You may learn a little more knowledge but you won't get any smarter for the effort. Your 'career' will be just as on-track whether you start it at 17 or 18, so just have fun and then study hard in college.

Grok has spoken.
April 3, 2003, 9:44 AM
St0rm.iD
What should I do, being 15?
April 5, 2003, 3:46 AM
iago
You should jump off the biggest cliff you can find onto some pointy rocks.
April 5, 2003, 9:13 AM
St0rm.iD
Already did that.
April 6, 2003, 1:18 AM
iago
Do it again, but make sure you do it head first this time.
April 7, 2003, 12:28 AM
Etheran
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=7;threadid=374;start=15#msg7066 date=1049514391]
What should I do, being 15?
[/quote] Grok said 17-18, so you have two to three more years left. :p
April 7, 2003, 12:05 PM

Search