Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Getting a Job

AuthorMessageTime
iago
In the past week I've had three interviews, and I have four more coming, so I thought I would share a little bit of info that I've noticed.

Mainly this: EVERTHING you do is important.

They ask for examples of everything, and be prepared to give them from anywhere in your life, from school to work to online friends, etc.

I have been asked if I had experience with Encryption and Authentication, so I told them about bot development.
I have been asked about Client-Server systems, again I talked about bots and other stuff I've done.
I have been asked about helping others with troubles, I mentioned this forum.
I have been asked about when, how, and how frequently I've done programming outside of schoolwork.
I have been asked for a sample SQL statement, and what a join is
I have been asked about object orientation, like what's the difference between an object and a class, what is inheritance, what is polymorphism, and how are they used?
I was asked when I had reused old code, and I told them about when I updated my Hashtable for Spht.

My point is that almost everything you do may, at some point, relate to helping you find a job some day. School doesn't teach VB, MS Office, Server-Client systems, Encryption/Authentication, etc, but I have used them all and have been asked to describe my experiences with them. So don't forget the extra work you've done, because it all comes in handy at some point.

November 17, 2003, 6:46 PM
Spht
Did you pronounce my name correctly?
November 17, 2003, 6:50 PM
iago
Yes, sfffft

Actually, I didn't use your name, I referred to you as, "A friend."

Another thing I almost forgot to mention:
I was asked about experience with virii, so I mentioned cleaning Klez off my own computer and Blaster off countless computers, and I also talked about some stuff I had read about SQL Slammer, including how it works/transmits/its downfalls. He actually asked me how I would improve it if I had a chance :)

I was asked about a recent time I had installed a network device, and luckly I had installed and configured a router the day before (thanks tmp! ;))

I was also asked to enumerate network devices, and when I mentioned cable he asked me the difference between crossover and straight through.

Again, none of that stuff involved school work, but it all came into play.
November 17, 2003, 6:59 PM
Spht
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=3671;start=0#msg29718 date=1069095542]
Yes, sfffft
[/quote]

Bah!
November 17, 2003, 7:14 PM
Adron
[quote author=Spht link=board=2;threadid=3671;start=0#msg29723 date=1069096456]
Yes, sfffft
[/quote]

Bah!
[/quote]

speeehat
November 17, 2003, 7:17 PM
Spht
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=3671;start=0#msg29724 date=1069096664]
[quote author=Spht link=board=2;threadid=3671;start=0#msg29723 date=1069096456]
Yes, sfffft
[/quote]

Bah!
[/quote]

speeehat
[/quote]

Wrong. I believe it was warz's friend which was the only one who's ever pronounced it right.
November 17, 2003, 7:35 PM
iago
sif-hit?
sip-hit?
xyphet?
November 17, 2003, 10:24 PM
wut
es pE Ach tE
November 17, 2003, 11:20 PM
j0k3r
Sepht?

[edit]Went off topic, what job are you applying for?[/edit]
November 17, 2003, 11:28 PM
Thing
My guess is:

spit
November 17, 2003, 11:31 PM
iago
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=3671;start=0#msg29795 date=1069111705]
Sepht?

[edit]Went off topic, what job are you applying for?[/edit]
[/quote]

Various. Today was for MPI Software Developer (Manitoba Public Insurance). Thursday was Manitoba Conversation. Sometime before that was Manitoba Information Protection, and a couple weeks ago was Suncor.

Coming up, I have a helpdesk position, canada agri-food programmer, department of national defence (working on a simulator), and Merlin.
November 17, 2003, 11:43 PM
Naem
i'd just pronounce it specific heat
November 18, 2003, 3:13 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=3671;start=0#msg29799 date=1069111892]
My guess is:

spit
[/quote]

Guess stealer!
November 18, 2003, 7:53 PM
Hostile
Iago, I could have told you that. Everything you do is important yes, from working with these people you gradually pick up some tech support type skills, including things as may seem useless Office, you there for know word processing and how to use spreadsheets. Its basically once you get to the point where your resume is becomming your life story in which you must now edit out the more important things, also include your most impressive client-server example but don't include 3 that are all the same principle, and if you're looking for an example number of how long your resume should be, unless you're trying for CEO or department manager for this company I would absolutly under no circumstance make this thing over 3 pages, 1 may end up a bit squished and not allow you to use the format you prefere (altought 1 and 1/8 of a page is hardly worth handing in the second page) but generally you should be able to fit everything in 2. And under no circumstances ... oh wait telephones ringing.
November 19, 2003, 6:04 AM
iago
Your resume should never be more than two pages, and should outline real work experience/education/technical skills. Cover letter should outline experience (both technical and soft skills) that are relevent to the job, and shouldn't be more than a page.

The interview, though, is where it becomes important to be ready to list *anything* you've done.
November 19, 2003, 2:05 PM
Hitmen
What has to suck is when they ask "do you have experiance with x?" and you have to say no. There's always a good chance someone will have everything you do + that. :/
November 20, 2003, 7:39 PM
iago
[quote author=Hitmen link=board=2;threadid=3671;start=15#msg30344 date=1069357140]
What has to suck is when they ask "do you have experiance with x?" and you have to say no. There's always a good chance someone will have everything you do + that. :/
[/quote]

Well, they usually say to us, "We know this is your first work term, so we don't expect you to have experience with x, but we want somebody who is willing to learn new things." Then they ask a question about something you've learned on your own, or learned in school, or something like that.
November 20, 2003, 10:59 PM
St0rm.iD
I'm an independant contractor.

Basically my clients say "make it look like this and make it do this. I'll pay for everything."
November 22, 2003, 2:17 AM

Search