Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Excess of Grok | ICMP Ping echo-request

AuthorMessageTime
Thing
Grok and I had a brief discussion about PING.  I have searched deep into my soul and feel that the following line expresses my true feelings about people pinging me.

ipchains -A INPUT -p -icmp -m -icmp --icmp-type echo-request -j DROP

Edit: oops  :-[
January 31, 2003, 6:21 PM
Yoni
Great! Just invoke ipchains with that command line and it is complete!
January 31, 2003, 6:55 PM
Grok
Ping should not be enabled by default on NICs and routers.  In fact, ISPs should refuse service to anyone responding to PING unless they have prior, arranged, permission(which should be granted on request for a limited time).  It's just one more tool out there for open abuse.
February 1, 2003, 4:15 AM
iago
Ping has it's place :'-(
February 1, 2003, 2:51 PM
Grok
Ridiculous.  With thinking like that, next you'll be saying that Java has it's place.
February 1, 2003, 5:25 PM
iago
Actually, I already did :D

[quote]Of course not.  Get a real language ^^

Actually, Java has it's place in the world, and it's probably better than, say, VB for programming bots, but what do I know? :-)[/quote]
February 1, 2003, 6:50 PM
Thing
Hmmm ... Java has one good use and that is to bring caffeine into the human body.

Ping has one good use also, and that is for systems adminsitrators to verify that their machines are responding.  Nobody else has good reason to ping a box.  If all the network administrators configured their edge routers to filter these packets, there would be a lot less bullshit traffic on the Internet.
February 1, 2003, 7:33 PM
Adron
Hmm, I like pings. I see no reason it should be any more abusable than other available protocols.

February 3, 2003, 6:03 PM
St0rm.iD
Grok you loser. Name one time a ping flood has succeeded.

Name one thing .NET beats Java for (besides UI :().
February 3, 2003, 7:32 PM
Arta
GRC.com was knocked off the net by an ICMP flood, and smurf attacks used to be quite popular and effective AFAIK, although that was before my time.
April 28, 2003, 5:55 PM
Yoni
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=6;threadid=365;start=0#msg2376 date=1044300750]Name one thing .NET beats Java for (besides UI :().
[/quote]Without taking any sides (I dislike both .NET and Java), the above argument is flawed in that you answer yourself (against your own argument). The correct syntax is:

[code]Name two things .NET beats Java at.[/code]
April 28, 2003, 6:49 PM
Grok
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=6;threadid=365;start=0#msg2376 date=1044300750]
Grok you loser. Name one time a ping flood has succeeded.

Name one thing .NET beats Java for (besides UI :().
[/quote]

Multilanguage support.
April 28, 2003, 7:46 PM
St0rm.iD
Java has international support.....
April 28, 2003, 8:22 PM
Skywing
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=6;threadid=365;start=0#msg8722 date=1051561345]
Java has international support.....
[/quote]
Simply supporting something and doing it well are entirely different things.
April 28, 2003, 8:27 PM
St0rm.iD
And does it well.

I've worked on limewire international versions and it works just dandy.
April 28, 2003, 8:33 PM
Invert
I agree with Grok about the PING. Also I like ASP.NET over Java.

Why I use ASP.NET:
Better Language Support
Programmable Controls
Event Driven Programming
XML Based Components
Higher Scalability
Increased Performance - Compiled Code
Uses the new ADO .NET
Supports full Visual Basic
Supports C# and C++.
Supports JScript as before

Now tell me why I would use the slower Java over .NET? ???
May 27, 2003, 10:04 AM
Grok
Don't forget that with ASP.NET, writing postbacks is incredibly simple.
May 27, 2003, 11:16 AM
Yoni
[quote author=Invert link=board=6;threadid=365;start=15#msg10857 date=1054029845]
Now tell me why I would use the slower Java over .NET? ???
[/quote]Perhaps you want it to work (natively) in non-Microsoft platforms?

(I don't consider ports of .NET to other platforms native, nor know whether they exist, and if so, how well they work.)
May 27, 2003, 11:34 AM
Invert
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-960049.html
May 27, 2003, 9:40 PM
Grok
Very good point made.

Recently a company for which I do programming with considered the cost of Linux and possibly replacing Windows on the desktop throughout the corporation. It was rejected. Why? The cost of retraining all the PC developers to learn all new APIs on Linux, the architecture, and get up to speed was much more than the value of switching *might* save on licensing. The cost of finding and hiring Linux pc technical experts in this small town would have been double per person than similar Windows pc technicians.
May 27, 2003, 10:12 PM
St0rm.iD
Why I use PHP:
Better support via forums
XML doesn't saturate everything as it does in .NET
Higher Scalability
Increased Performance - Zend Optimizing Engine
Uses the new PEAR
One unified language
May 30, 2003, 11:07 AM
Invert
Wow, no really, I'm not surprised that some one tried to bring up PHP.

Why PHP blows compared to ASP.NET? Let's see... Object Oriented Programming vs Scripting. Should I even continue? If you like OOP, you can use ASP.NET and all your pages are defined as classes and instantiated on the server so that they can have their own instance variables that you can use as you would multiple objects with their own properties per instance. The OOP design also makes it easier to work with other objects (such as files) where, in PHP, you have to use several methods even to setup your file pointer and use it.

Why I would not use PHP over ASP.NET
1) You don't have to use those ridiculous $ signs in front of variables.

2) Session and cookie management is light years easier and more powerful in ASP.NET.

3) Speed: ASP.NET apps are compiled, and much much faster than their PHP equivalent.

4) It's easy to confine your business logic to high performance, compiled objects.

5) Using ASP.NET probably means you won't have to use that shitty MySQL database engine.

I can go on if you'd like...

Just don't imply that PHP is better than ASP.NET and you won't sound stupid.
May 31, 2003, 11:29 PM
herzog_zwei
[quote author=Thing link=board=6;threadid=365;start=0#msg2368 date=1044037308]
Grok and I had a brief discussion about PING. I have searched deep into my soul and feel that the following line expresses my true feelings about people pinging me.

ipchains -A INPUT -p -icmp -m -icmp --icmp-type echo-request -j DROP
[/quote]

On my personal network, I'd go with the DROP policy for all but certain IPs (so I can remotely check if my connection is still up instead of assuming that if the web server is down, the machine is also down). Private networks should never respond to public echo-request queries from strangers because they might be checking out your network to prepare for an attack. However, for public servers, I"d rather see a default policy of something along the lines of:

iptables -A BAD -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -m limit --limit 4/s --limit-burst 10 -j RETURN
iptables -A BAD -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -j ATTACKED

This would lessen the damage of ping floods by the same amount that an indiscriminate DROP would do during an attack (well, not quite the theoretical 50%, but close enough), but still allow for non-abusive queries to the public network so you can at least verify that the network/servers are up. If you were to do something similar, you should make sure your ATTACKED tables are set up to not cause a DoS due to the amount of attack data you wish to log (you can do this by making rules similar to the icmp one where it allows up to a certain rate of data logging and drops any that exceed that rate). You might also want to drop echo-requests with large loads.
June 12, 2003, 11:15 AM
Arta
[quote author=Invert link=board=6;threadid=365;start=15#msg11284 date=1054423748]
you have to use several methods even to setup your file pointer and use it.
[/quote]

Um, explain?

[quote author=Invert link=board=6;threadid=365;start=15#msg11284 date=1054423748]
Why I would not use PHP over ASP.NET
1) You don't have to use those ridiculous $ signs in front of variables.
[/quote]

That's a silly reason (entirely aesthetic)

2) Session and cookie management is light years easier and more powerful in ASP.NET.
[/quote]

Howso?

4) It's easy to confine your business logic to high performance, compiled objects.
[/quote]

Since when did PHP not support OO? PHP's OO support is not complete, I grant you, but it's entirely adequate for 'confining business logic'.

5) Using ASP.NET probably means you won't have to use that shitty MySQL database engine.
[/quote]

Enumerate, please, the ways in which MySQL is shitty.

PHP is an excellent language. I won't compare it to ASP because I don't know enough about ASP (with or without .NET) but the points you have made here are mostly irrelevant.
June 12, 2003, 3:47 PM
Grok
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=board=6;threadid=365;start=15#msg12172 date=1055432851]
[/quote]

Howso?[/quote]

With .NET, you can cluster servers and maintain session state with no added effort by the website architect. Thus if you're running a bank of 12 web servers and a user first connects to #1, then his next click is sent to #2, the cluster treats his session as the same.

[quote author=Arta[vL] link=board=6;threadid=365;start=15#msg12172 date=1055432851]
[/quote]

Since when did PHP not support OO? PHP's OO support is not complete, I grant you, but it's entirely adequate for 'confining business logic'.[/quote]

Does PHP support distributed transaction processing?

[/quote]

Enumerate, please, the ways in which MySQL is shitty.[/quote]

The query compilation and optimization is patently (your favorite word today) slower than Oracle and MSSQL.

PHP is an excellent language. I won't compare it to ASP because I don't know enough about ASP (with or without .NET) but the points you have made here are mostly irrelevant.
[/quote]

PHP is a toy language for toy programmers writing toy websites. Very few CIOs will last long in their positions by allowing their programming staff to write PHP applications for their corporate servers.
June 12, 2003, 6:04 PM

Search