Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | DarkVirus Fan Forum | Moron in my class...

AuthorMessageTime
DarkVirusHere's a quote from a kid, or possibly an older adult considering his ending paragraph... This is in my online Management of Information Systems class where he's making a poor attempt of comparing languages..

Programming isn’t that hard. Once you learn something like C. The rest of the languages at the same level are relatively the same. The concepts behind the languages work in the same way. Object orientated programming was done before they came up with the title. It was a little more work, because it was mainly done in DOS and they were called structures. Now you have a graphical user interface, which is easier to program and which gave birth to the title Object Orientated Programming. Still it doesn’t matter if its Pascal, Visual Basic(Microsoft’s version of C++), C, C++, Visual C++, Java, JavaScript, Jscript(Microsoft’s version of JavaScript) all the basic concepts are the same. In a way programming has changed quite a bit. I wish I could have learned any of the languages I’ve talked about in High school, but all they taught was old GWBasic. That was only nine years ago and now they teach all kinds. I still have a floppy with programs I wrote in GWBasic.
Me, I would love to be programming somewhere for AI or anything, but unfortunately I'm stuck here in the lovely city of SpringVegas(Springfield) at a job that’s not even close to my talent, my field of interest. I enjoy staring at a computer for hours writing and debugging code. It’s all about the feeling you get when you finally get it to work. Hopefully someday I'll get to experience that feeling again, but till then....

Now here's my response:

Not that I enjoy starting a potential fight...but I can't agree with about 90% of your statement.

First of all C++ and Visual Basic are totally different. C++ was created back in the early 80's while Visual Basic was created in the early 90's. While both C and C++ were created at Bell Laboratories while Visual Basic was a spin off of BASIC (which was created in the early 60s). Visual Basic was created by Microsoft though.

Visual Basic was actually the birth of RAD programming, and while the use of a friendly GUI setting was developed in coordination with RAD (Rapid Application Developemt), its actually an Event driven programming language. OOP techniques are used in VB obviously, but the use of a GUI isn't by any means what I would call the birth of Object-Orientated Programming. I can write OOP codes in C++ while using command line coding with absolutely no graphical user interface.

I think I understand where you would get the idea that GUI's and OOP are closely related... but they really are two very different concepts.

While some languages share very similar looking syntaxes, the use of each language has its purpose and have a LOT of differences between them. The concepts behind programming (either structured or Object-Orientated) may be similar in various languages, but again they are all very different languages.

I'll keep ya all posted on his response  Cool
November 14, 2003, 05:53 pm
AdronVB is much more like hypercard and other simple languages than like C++...November 14, 2003, 06:05 pm
DarkVirus
VB is much more like hypercard and other simple languages than like C++...

How dare you talk about any Mac based software ANYTHING on my forum! *SMACK*   Cool
November 14, 2003, 06:08 pm
Grok
VB is much more like hypercard and other simple languages than like C++...

How dare you talk about any Mac based software ANYTHING on my forum! *SMACK*   Cool

Heh, ok, you got on MSN and asked me to reply, so don't smack me when I do.  I agree with about 60% of that guy's statements, and about 60% of yours.  From what I can tell, the two of you aren't even arguing, you're both on different topics.  There's not much overlap in your points and counterpoints.

But right now I have to go swim my laps.  If I remember later, I'll put in my 10 cents worth of opinion here.
November 15, 2003, 10:12 am
AerNRelitively Old topic, by 2 months but heres a moron quote from our programming class. It's the first day and so teacher is like "How many of you have ever programmed before?" Some girl raises her hand, bleh he's like "what language?" and she goes "English" no that right there goes to tell you that some people really are dumbfounded -.-January 09, 2004, 02:10 pm
ChopzHahahahahaha, I wouldn't ask that girl for help in your programming class... *Brandon*...

PS- Gimme an FTP Account! -.- Wink
February 08, 2004, 09:35 pm