Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Windows OS

AuthorMessageTime
Archonist
I didn't list a few because these are the only ones I can choose from, List reasons why you would pick one over the other!
November 11, 2003, 5:50 AM
Kp
Based on NT technology, it actually has a chance of being stable if you get good drivers. I've never had fortune keeping a 9x stable. Though WinXP is also based off NT technology, I distrust their registration/anti-piracy scheme as being more than just anti-piracy. So, I prefer 2k. It's the last of the NT line that doesn't have that sort of policy.
November 11, 2003, 6:01 AM
Denial
I've played with a few and for windows, windows 2000 professional is the stablest ive seen. Ive checked windows 2003 but that hasnt offically been released publicly in stores and such so i wouldnt pick it since i havent really tested it. I would go with windows 2000 because it's the operating system that i use and it's pretty stable since ive had it. also windows xp has a built in firewall i dont like that either. Windows 98 is ok but you cant run everything you want on 98
Windows 95 i used that a long time ago it was ok but if you want to do something that are more compatible then i wouldn't ask for this one.

Windows 2000 Professional builds on the reliability of Windows NT technology through an improved design process and the introduction of several new features, such as improved memory management.

With its impressive price/performance, Windows 2000 Professional offers an extremely attractive alternative to UNIX technical workstations.

Windows 2000 Professional offers faster performance, simplified deployment, easier maintenance, and more robust security than earlier Windows desktop operating systems.

#1: Value. The number one reason to move to Windows 2000 Professional is the overall value it offers your business. As this list proves, Windows 2000 Professional can help you reduce costs through improved management and increase productivity through improved reliability and ease of use. For example, analysis conducted at Credit Suisse First Boston predicted that using Windows® 2000 Professional could reduce the firm's directly related IT costs by 15 percent, as well as improve employee productivity by cutting computer-related unproductive time by as much as 41 percent. For more about return on investment, see this report from Arthur Andersen .

#2: Reliability. An essential requirement for business users is a personal computer they can count on. That's why Windows 2000 Professional includes fundamental improvements—such as modifications to the operating system core to prevent crashes and the ability for the operating system to repair itself—that make it the most reliable desktop operating system Microsoft has ever produced. On comparative reliability tests conducted by ZD Labs, the average system uptime of Windows 2000 Professional was over 50 times that of Windows 98 and 17 times that of Windows NT Workstation 4.0.

#3: Mobility. Mobile computing is simpler and more efficient with Windows 2000 Professional. This means you can work anywhere, anytime while also saving time and increasing productivity. As described in these news articles, "Finally, a Notebook OS" and "Mobile Users In Love with Win2K" , Windows 2000 Professional offers mobile users key productivity and time-saving features, including the ability to hibernate and restart the system without a reboot and the ability to easily take files and folders offline.

#4: Manageability. Windows 2000 Professional is easier to deploy, manage, and support. Centralized management utilities, troubleshooting tools, and support for self-healing applications all make it simpler for administrators and users to deploy and manage desktop and laptop computers. These improvements pay off in reduced costs, as illustrated by this Eastman Chemical total cost of ownership analysis.

#5: Performance. The advancements made throughout Windows 2000 Professional are accentuated by the operating system's speed. As shown in ZD Labs tests running the most popular business applications, with 64 MB of RAM, Windows 2000 was 32 percent faster than Windows 95 and 27 percent faster than Windows 98. It is also significantly faster than Windows NT 4.0 on configurations with 32 MB of RAM.

#6: Security. Windows 2000 Professional provides comprehensive security features to help protect your sensitive business data, both locally on your desktop computer and as it is transmitted over your local area network, phone lines, or the Internet. With its support for Internet-standard security features such as IP Security, Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol, and Virtual Private Networking, Windows 2000 is equipped with such effective security technologies that banks, such as Credit Suisse First Boston , use it. For some organizations, such as the law firm Dorsey & Whitney LLP, security is a key reason for moving to Windows 2000.

#7: Internet. The familiar user interface of Windows 98 combined with all the capabilities of Internet Explorer 5, makes using the Internet and your local desktop a unified user experience, as described by PC Magazine . This user interface, combined with integrated search capabilities, makes it easier to find and use information locally and on the Web.

#8: Usability. As described in this Windows 2000 Magazine review , Windows 2000 Professional combines the power and security of its predecessor, Windows NT Workstation, with the traditional ease of use of Windows 98. It also provides more wizards, a centralized location for common tasks, and menus that adapt to the way you work.

#9: Data Access. When you use Windows 2000 Professional in conjunction with Windows 2000 Server, you can take advantage of IntelliMirror® technologies. By letting you store your important information and desktop settings on a central computer, IntelliMirror lets you work on any computer attached to your network as if you are at your own desk. The centralized management savings made possible by Windows 2000 IntelliMirror technologies are one of the reasons WFofR, Inc. is using Windows 2000 Professional.

#10: Hardware. Windows 2000 Professional lets you take advantage of new hardware devices, such as those with universal serial bus (USB) and IEEE 1394 (Firewire) connections. In addition, support for existing hardware makes Windows 2000 ideal for companies, such as Panasonic , that want to standardize on a single operating system across their organizations.

- This info was brought to you by - http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/evaluation/business/default.asp

November 11, 2003, 6:08 AM
iago
2k - smaller hard drive space, better security :)
November 11, 2003, 6:53 AM
UserLoser.
XP - really the only one i've had expirence on, otherwise the crappy schools computers which i believe have 2000
November 11, 2003, 7:07 AM
Moonshine
I'll have to go with XP; faster boot time, fast user switching, built in firewall (not sure if this is in 2000), better UI features.
November 11, 2003, 8:24 AM
iago
[quote author=Moonshine link=board=2;threadid=3541;start=0#msg28644 date=1068539053]
I'll have to go with XP; faster boot time, fast user switching, built in firewall (not sure if this is in 2000), better UI features.
[/quote]

The firewall is awful, and 2k boots faster, and fast user switching has done more harm than good.
November 11, 2003, 9:03 AM
Trance
Can disable firewall, I personally prefer XP Pro on systems with 512mb or more. Windows XP Pro can be quite stable. Getting rid of the annoying blue GUI and all of its special effects that slow the computer down help performance a lot too.
November 11, 2003, 9:24 AM
Archonist
Well, Thanks guys. I've decided to go with 2k Pro and it's been running alot faster than XP Pro ever did on my computer.

Thanks for your input.
November 11, 2003, 1:19 PM
warz
I like XP.
November 11, 2003, 1:40 PM
Arta
2k, for the same reasons as Kp, plus that I hate the fluffy bunny-rabbit GUI in XP. I know you can turn it off but it's presence still annoys me :)
November 11, 2003, 3:01 PM
iago
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=board=2;threadid=3541;start=0#msg28661 date=1068562861]
2k, for the same reasons as Kp, plus that I hate the fluffy bunny-rabbit GUI in XP. I know you can turn it off but it's presence still annoys me :)
[/quote]

hmm, we've always called it "Crayola" :)
November 11, 2003, 7:22 PM
Arta
rofl!
November 11, 2003, 9:07 PM

Search