Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Quantum Warp Tunneling

AuthorMessageTime
j0k3r
Ok first off, correct me if I spelled anything above wrong. I was reading through my physics textbook instead of listening to the teacher (she speaks chine-english) and a couple pages ahead of our lesson (this optics stuff is easy) was something about quantum warp tunneling. It explained that a method of travelling faster than light would be to bend space, thereby reducing the amount of distance you have to cover to get to a same location in less time.

Does anybody know how this MIGHT be done (I know it's not currently possible, but with what you've heard, oh and I don't care too much for any math you might post). I spent the rest of the day trying to figure out how you could bend nothing (I'm talking about space here, if I didn't already mention it), or compress it to shorten the distance. The thought of putting space in a balloon and tying the knot, then squeezing it or stretching it came to mind but I couldn't see how that was possible.
November 10, 2003, 11:36 PM
iago
According to theories that are probably already outdated, matter distorts space. For example, a planet creates a deeper area in space, and everything falls into that hole; hence, gravity. But that's only bending space a little bit; a black hole bends space a lot more, to the point where it almost tears.

Hawking mentioned that it is theoretically possible for two black holes, either both in our universe or in different quantum universes, to connect to each other, creating a tunnel. However, if anybody ever tried to get through it, they would be turned into "spagetti" before ever getting close, because of the gravity of their feet and head being different.

Also, read "The Physics of Star Trek" where the author discusses the possibility of warp travel. He says that it's possible, but not practical because of the amount of power required.
November 11, 2003, 12:56 AM
Raven
Don't let CupHead see this. He'll get into another fiasco involving Moebius' and such. ;)
November 11, 2003, 1:05 AM

Search