Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Screen Resolution Lock

AuthorMessageTime
Naem
The computer lab at my school has atrocious monitors. They can display 800x600 at a reasonable 85Hz, but 1024x760 is a maximum of like 50Hz. A kid who sits next to me in my first period class always has his resolution set to 1024x768 with the horrible refresh rate. He must be blind.

This crap gives me a huge headache with black, white, black, white.. flickering on a monitor in my periphreal vision all period. I need a program for Win95 that will restrict a user from changing their resolution, whether it be via a password prompt, error message, somehow making Windows think the monitor can't support that resolution, whatever. It can't require you to reboot after you install it because the computers have a program that basically sets everything on the computer to a predefined default when you reboot.

Does anyone know of such a program, or, is anyone bored enough to create one? ;D
November 6, 2003, 8:25 AM
iago
How about:
a) slapping the guy
b) poisoning the guy
c) asking him
d) sitting somewhere else
e) you'll get over it

I think that, because of cuphead's situation with messing with school computers, those would be the best plans.
November 6, 2003, 8:28 AM
Naem
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=3448;start=0#msg27687 date=1068107315]
a) slapping the guy
b) poisoning the guy
c) asking him
d) sitting somewhere else
e) you'll get over it
[/quote]

a) I haven't tried this yet. I don't think it'd be too wise seeing as how he weighs about three times as much as me and if he sat on me every bone in my body would be crushed.

b) Due to his weight I do not believe I could afford enough poison to significantly detract from his health.

c) Tried it. I believe he said something like "mhmhpjghhhhhhh nooo go awayyyghhh" as he ate a cookie, on multiple occasions.

d) It works, sometimes. Usually by the time I get there (and I get there as fast as I can) the other computers are occupied.

e) The timeless question: will I get over it or will my brain explode first?
November 6, 2003, 8:44 AM
iago
[quote]e) The timeless question: will I get over it or will my brain explode first?
[/quote]

Either way, I don't see the problem! :P
November 6, 2003, 9:19 AM
Grok
Go to the monitor manufacturer support website and download the .INF for the given monitor. Inside it you will see the supported resolutions and vertical sync frequencies.

Edit the INF as appropriate, update the monitor driver with the INF. The offending resolution+frequency will no longer be available.

However, you may find that by downloading the proper monitor driver, you can get ~70hz @ 1024x768 or better.
November 6, 2003, 12:06 PM
Yoni
This post estimates they run Win2k or above, that you have admin access, and that the other person won't figure out how to fix this.

Run gpedit.msc, and...
[img]http://yoni.valhallalegends.com/stuff/NoDisplaySettings.png[/img]

On Win95/98/ME, poledit.exe might be used to achieve similar effects (can't test it here though due to lack of computers with Win9x).
November 6, 2003, 2:31 PM
Kp
have you checked with the lab administrators? Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll take offense that this guy is changing their settings (even if it is only display resolution). ;) Even if they don't mind it, you might ask them if there's any solutions for the issue (i.e. maybe they can long-term fix the monitor not to suck at that resolution, as was suggested earlier in the thread). Technical solutions might be the most satisfying, but they aren't always the most practical.
November 6, 2003, 4:09 PM
Adron
[quote author=Yoni link=board=2;threadid=3448;start=0#msg27702 date=1068129086]
On Win95/98/ME, poledit.exe might be used to achieve similar effects (can't test it here though due to lack of computers with Win9x).
[/quote]

For both win2k and win9x, these are just some registry values that you set. So it can be done quicker by just importing the right .reg file.
November 7, 2003, 4:29 PM

Search