Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | RedHat says Windows is better than Linux for desktop machines

AuthorMessageTime
Skywing
See this article.

Thoughts?
November 5, 2003, 2:05 PM
Thing
There is more to that story:
RedHat has merged Red Hat Linux with the Fedora project. They are going to discontinue support for all 7.x, 8 and 9 versions very quickly. There main focus will be on their Red Hat Enterprise Linux line which is geared for workstations and servers. When all of this sorts out, the only "free" downloadable version will be Fedora.

I'm glad I bought those 150 entitlements to the Red Hat network 2 months ago. Fuckers!

./edit Here are some links to the stuff I was reading yesterday:
http://www.theregister.com/content/4/33760.html
http://www.itworld.com/Comp/2366/031104redhatenterprise/
November 5, 2003, 2:12 PM
Tuberload
I agree that Windows is the right choice for most people. I mean honestly, what percentage of the people out there who use computers for leisure need Linux? If the hordes of people out there have to call tech support for Windows, how would they manage with Linux?

I am not saying that Windows is a superior operating system compared to Linux, I just think it is the right choice for most people.
November 5, 2003, 8:59 PM
Orillion
Its not a case of need, its a case of choosing to use something different. And that means that Linux isnt necessarly any harder to use than Windows. Its just different.
November 6, 2003, 3:21 AM
Tuberload
You got to be joking... You really think that the average computer user, not interested in anything besides browsing the internet, playing games, etc, could use Linux as easily as Windows? Let alone even install the operating system?
November 6, 2003, 4:38 AM
Raven
[quote author=Orillion link=board=2;threadid=3420;start=0#msg27651 date=1068088913]
Linux isnt necessarly any harder to use than Windows.
[/quote]

Windows compromises efficiency for ease of use. Linux compromises ease of use for efficiency. Need I say more?

As far as Linux being a better desktop operating system, as Tuberload said, the vast majority of PC users use it for leisures and work, for which Windows was designed for, and hence it, vastly superior to Linux at. However, Linux was invented for "power users" and computer enthusiasts, and for the aforementioned group, Linux does it's job extremely well. So essentially, I don't think any either of the big 3 (Windows, Linux, MacOSX) can be considered obviously superior to the other two.

November 6, 2003, 4:41 AM
Crypticflare
Yea that does have a point, but heres the down facts of it:

1. People don't like change

2. Most wont accept it.

It's not that they have to use windows, the fact is they're used to a routine and won't try anything that afflicts it.
November 6, 2003, 4:43 AM
Raven
No, I think it's moreso due to the fact that Linux wasn't made for home users, therefore, home users don't use it, and aren't encouraged to learn it. MacOSX, however, IS doing quite well in the home user market, which proves people aren't afraid of change, as many are switching over from Windows to MacOS, so it doesn't seem like people are generally afraid of trying new a new OS, as long as it's designed to accomodate them.
November 6, 2003, 5:02 AM

Search