Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Community Project?

AuthorMessageTime
n00blar
I'm bored-- I have no projects-- all I do is help people out =P I wouldn't mind starting a 'community' project if you guys have any ideas thats cool =P just post them here!

[Edit]
Oh and don't worry about languages now-- I'm sure we can work something out even if it requires using two languages (dlls)
December 23, 2002, 8:11 PM
Thing
Why not create a web based chat client for battle.net?
December 23, 2002, 10:00 PM
iago
It's been done by Skywing.
Everything's been done by skywing.

:'-(
December 24, 2002, 1:53 AM
MrRaza
heh, move onto another game...
December 24, 2002, 10:23 AM
n00blar
If you didn't notice i didn't mention the word "starcraft" or "battle.net" anywhere i just want to work on a 'community' project!
December 24, 2002, 11:50 AM
MrRaza
it was a suggestion  8 ;)
December 24, 2002, 1:10 PM
dRAgoN
[quote]It's been done by Skywing.
Everything's been done by skywing.

:'-([/quote]

i dont beleve skywings was the first, someone else had one for a chat bot way back when, and that someones name i can't remember as crude as it was for looks it worked.

anyhow as for this community project what type of project are you looking to do?

~l)ragon
December 24, 2002, 1:27 PM
n00blar
My technical skills are widely ranged so anything really =p
December 24, 2002, 1:28 PM
iago
[quote]

i dont beleve skywings was the first, someone else had one for a chat bot way back when, and that someones name i can't remember as crude as it was for looks it worked.

anyhow as for this community project what type of project are you looking to do?

~l)ragon[/quote]

But skywing still DID it before now, and that's what I meant..
December 24, 2002, 2:57 PM
n00blar
How about we don't argue over what skywing did and did not do! How about we brain storm for ideas on a community project instead =P
December 24, 2002, 3:32 PM
n00blar
Well this might help as to anyone trying to think about something to make are you guys wanting to make a game, hacks for a game (plz not sc =p), develop chatting services, develop tools to make hacking games easier, develop a pcode vb6 decompiler, anything the world is your limits! just post suggestions here =p

I'm highly stressing the 'make a game' part =p all it requires is some knowledge on math, directx or a already existing 3d engine, and a language-- oh possibly a little creativity and don't worry about 3d models and such I have access to tons =p that is if the community wants to do this =p
December 24, 2002, 3:43 PM
Noodlez
lets make an mmmorpg
December 24, 2002, 4:04 PM
Nova1313
Urgh mmorpg did one for my grad project almost in it's beta state now. Horrible horrible project and massive undertaking there is a screenshot on my site. www.novaslp.net it's in the backround.

I have a client running on unix based systems one on mac through delphi and one on windows.

I love multiplatform

but yeah if you decide on mmorpg just realize it can be a huge undertaking when you thinking out.

The bandwidth i use to run a test server monthly is immense. The cpu's needed to run it can get pricey. I'm using sun 1u ultra 10's that i bought off ebay so for 500 a pop for 3 it's not bad. I'm hosting them at home right now to so i can save on collocation and bandwidth costs for testing purposes. But really consider all the factors before you start something like that and don't finish. I hate seeing projects get started and not finished.
I'm not saying you can't do it either im sure you are very well experienced and definatly could. IT's not that it was hard just took lots of time and work. I developed mostly everything from scratch. The chat network the game servers the clients. I got graphics from an rpg site. But it gets to be a big mess that you have to pull together after a while.
December 24, 2002, 7:34 PM
n00blar
I don't stop a project because its hard or frusterating or im short handed! I will continue to code on into the night wether or not =p
December 25, 2002, 11:21 AM
n00blar
Ok-- I'm down with the creating of a game, right now im working on some server code (C++) -- that way we don't have to deal with network problems later on!  If your wanting in on this project just private message me... Is their any suggestions dealing with the server ???

Im planning on, for now, just writing some code dealing with winsock i'll be using overlapped i/o sockets thats all i really have planned for now =p if you think i should do this another way just pm me the suggestion
December 25, 2002, 4:14 PM
Etheran
Start a webpage for this project.  Maybe vL would be kind enough to grant a forum for it?  Post code suggestions and maybe some art concepts.  Also, I think openGL is a better choice than directX, but both would be even better.
December 26, 2002, 7:25 AM
n00blar
DirectX > OpenGL =)
December 26, 2002, 12:48 PM
Etheran
I've never even read any of the SDK's on DirectX.  Since DirectX keeps getting updated you're probably right :).  Oh well, I'm about to go check it out, the OpenGL API was a bit tedious (but things like GLUT made it all better).

Oh, and: Unlike Microsoft's Direct3D, which only works on Windows, OpenGL works across all platforms.

Like I said before, We should consider both!

December 26, 2002, 9:01 PM
st0rm
[quote]DirectX > OpenGL =)[/quote]

DIE NOW
December 26, 2002, 10:44 PM

Search