Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Chili Con Queso Recipe

AuthorMessageTime
Grok
I have tried and tried to make that milky creamy white chili con queso you get at Mexican restaurants and keep failing. Sometimes it's looking good but gets chunky very fast as it cools down. It should be able to stay milky but sufficiently thick for dipping chips into it, even after it cools down.

Does someone KNOW how to make this THEMSELVES? Please , don't give me a recipe that you haven't done yourself, as I only want to know what works without having to try every posted recipe on the web.

Much thanks,
Grok
November 3, 2003, 5:09 PM
Thing
I'm lazy and want it fast so I use this recipe frequently.

Quick Queso

Ingredients:
1 lb Velveeta Cheese
1 10oz. can RoTel Tomatoes & Green Chiles

Cut cheese into 1” cubes and put into sauce pan. Open can of RoTel tomatoes and put in sauce pan with cheese. Heat on low and stir frequently. You can add whatever else you want like ground beef or diced onions, etc. Transfer yummy goodnes from the pan into a microwave safe container and enjoy. It will get thicker as it cools but you can blast it in the microwave to loosen it up again. You can store the unused portion in the refrigerator and nuke it again when you want some more.
November 3, 2003, 11:34 PM
iago
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=3392;start=0#msg27263 date=1067902473]
I'm lazy and want it fast so I use this recipe frequently.

Quick Queso

Ingredients:
1 lb Velveeta Cheese
1 10oz. can RoTel Tomatoes & Green Chiles

Cut cheese into 1” cubes and put into sauce pan. Open can of RoTel tomatoes and put in sauce pan with cheese. Heat on low and stir frequently. You can add whatever else you want like ground beef or diced onions, etc. Transfer yummy goodnes from the pan into a microwave safe container and enjoy. It will get thicker as it cools but you can blast it in the microwave to loosen it up again. You can store the unused portion in the refrigerator and nuke it again when you want some more.
[/quote]

What if it gets thick on the way to my bowels? How do I blast it out when it's there?
November 3, 2003, 11:40 PM
Thing
[quote]What if it gets thick on the way to my bowels?[/quote]
Have no fear. What you do not realize is that you are only munching on your chips and queso while you wait for the wings to finish. They are guaranteed to remove anything that may be lingering in your intestines. If anybody wants the recipe for Thing's wings, I'll post it.
November 4, 2003, 12:20 AM
DrivE
I'd like that recipe actually.
November 4, 2003, 12:26 AM
Grok
Thing I have the Velveeta recipes down cold. If you mix some jack and some skim milk, it won't thicken so quickly. I also like putting chopped jalapenos in there to liven things up. But I'll try the tomato and green chilis, that sounds yummy.

*waits to see the Things Wings reply*
November 4, 2003, 1:44 AM
Thing
Thing's wings

Notice! This is not like the crap wings that Hooters tries to sell you. They suck! This is a broiler recipe not fried.

Stuff you need:
1 - Broiler Pan
20 - Chicken wings, complete (You will cut these up later and make 40 sections.)
1 cup - Cayenne pepper sauce
4 tbsp. - Worcestershire sauce
½ cup – Butter
1 – Roll paper towels

Preparation:
I use fresh chicken wings but you can use frozen if you want. Thaw them out first. Cut the wings into the two logical sections and trim off excess fat. I use a pair of kitchen scissors for this. Wash the chicken in water and let drain.

Lets Cook:
Preheat oven 425 degrees. Arrange the chicken pieces on the broiler pan in a single layer. Place on the center rack and bake for 30 minutes. Flip the chicken and bake for 30 more minutes.

About ten minutes before the final phase of cooking, melt butter on low heat in a small sauce pan. Whisk in Cayenne pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Do not use Tabasco sauce! Durkee Red Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce or Louisiana Pure Crystal Pepper Sauce are the best.

Put the chicken in a large mixing bowl and drown them with the sauce. Serve with sides of celery stalks and baby carrots. I like to have some ranch dip for the celery and carrots. Some people like to dip the wings in bleu cheese dip but I think that is just nasty.

For those of you who need guidance:
Broiler Pan
Kitchen Scissors
Chicken
November 4, 2003, 4:32 AM
Hitmen
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=3392;start=0#msg27291 date=1067920339]
Thing's wings

Notice! This is not like the crap wings that Hooters tries to sell you. They suck! This is a broiler recipe not fried.

Stuff you need:
1 - Broiler Pan
20 - Chicken wings, complete (You will cut these up later and make 40 sections.)
1 cup - Cayenne pepper sauce
4 tbsp. - Worcestershire sauce
½ cup – Butter
1 – Roll paper towels

Preparation:
I use fresh chicken wings but you can use frozen if you want. Thaw them out first. Cut the wings into the two logical sections and trim off excess fat. I use a pair of kitchen scissors for this. Wash the chicken in water and let drain.

Lets Cook:
Preheat oven 425 degrees. Arrange the chicken pieces on the broiler pan in a single layer. Place on the center rack and bake for 30 minutes. Flip the chicken and bake for 30 more minutes.

About ten minutes before the final phase of cooking, melt butter on low heat in a small sauce pan. Whisk in Cayenne pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Do not use Tabasco sauce! Durkee Red Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce or Louisiana Pure Crystal Pepper Sauce are the best.

Put the chicken in a large mixing bowl and drown them with the sauce. Serve with sides of celery stalks and baby carrots. I like to have some ranch dip for the celery and carrots. Some people like to dip the wings in bleu cheese dip but I think that is just nasty.

Broiler Pan
Kitchen Scissors
Chicken
[/quote]

What do you suggest for removing the wings from a live chicken?
November 4, 2003, 4:58 AM
iago
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=3392;start=0#msg27282 date=1067910287]
Thing I have the Velveeta recipes down cold. If you mix some jack and some skim milk, it won't thicken so quickly. I also like putting chopped jalapenos in there to liven things up. But I'll try the tomato and green chilis, that sounds yummy.

*waits to see the Things Wings reply*
[/quote]

If it turns out well, you should mail me a sample!
November 4, 2003, 5:01 AM
warz
Creamy, WHITE chili con queso? The chili con queso around here is generally a brown, close-to-chili color!
November 4, 2003, 5:13 AM
Thing
warz what are you talking about? I know where around here is because I can smell your packets on Verizon's network. Where do you live, Carrollton, Coppell, Farmers Branch?
November 4, 2003, 5:49 AM
iago
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=3392;start=0#msg27299 date=1067924977]
warz what are you talking about? I know where around here is because I can smell your packets on Verizon's network. Where do you live, Carrollton, Coppell, Farmers Branch?
[/quote]

Do they smell bad?
November 4, 2003, 6:07 AM
hismajesty
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=3392;start=0#msg27291 date=1067920339]
Broiler Pan
Kitchen Scissors
Chicken
[/quote]

I have those scissors. ;D
November 4, 2003, 12:12 PM
Soul Taker
Me too!
November 4, 2003, 12:17 PM
Grok
Thing's wings

Notice! This is not like the crap wings that Hooters tries to sell you. They suck! This is a broiler recipe not fried.[/quote]

I love this part:

[quote]About ten minutes before the final phase of cooking, melt butter on low heat in a small sauce pan.[/quote]

That's equivalent of giving someone directions "go straight down that road, take a left two miles before it ends."
November 4, 2003, 12:46 PM
warz
Welp, out of those three choices you happened to mention where I live. You live near? And you could tell that just by the color of our queso around here? :P
November 4, 2003, 1:52 PM
Thing
warz, we are both pulling our IP from the same DHCP server. You must be nearby! I am near Josey and Hebron. By the way, stop turning off your computer.
November 4, 2003, 2:55 PM
warz
I always turn off my computer. Stop keeping yours on! Josey and Hebron, near Vista Ridge mall eh? I live off of Denton Tap. We should converse sometime!
November 4, 2003, 4:34 PM
Grok
[quote author=warz link=board=2;threadid=3392;start=15#msg27329 date=1067963642]
I always turn off my computer. Stop keeping yours on! Josey and Hebron, near Vista Ridge mall eh? I live off of Denton Tap. We should converse sometime!
[/quote]

Ah, finally I know where to send the FBI.

:P j/k
November 4, 2003, 7:02 PM
warz
[me=warz]puts magnet up to computer.[/me]

Actually, I don't think I have anything programming / bnet / hacking related on this computer! Although, they'd prolly stiff me about the mp3's, but other than that.. send 'em! :P

Torque works at the golf course near Josey & Hebron. I don't remember how close, though.
November 4, 2003, 8:50 PM
Grok
Man, I ruined a pound of cheese last night thinking I had the solution to my queso. Turned out all watery and I couldn't recover its consistency. Although I should've thrown it in a saucepan and simmered the water off, I didn't think of that until now.

WHY AREN'T ANY OF YOU MEXICAN CHEFS? WHAT GOOD ARE YOU?
November 4, 2003, 9:03 PM

Search