Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Hooking up my Computer

AuthorMessageTime
OuTLawZGoSu
Im getting a new comp this month andi nwanna hook that shit up. im talkin about Neon Lights, CLear cases and some other stuff like that.Anyone no a website where ican get those. I tryed searching google but i coldnt get anything Help?
October 29, 2003, 3:37 PM
Grok
ThemalTake, and lots of other places have all that junk.

Put "case mods" in google, I "SUSPECT" it will get you what you want.

Disclaimer: I have not entered "case mods" in google, however I have seen that phrase on various sites I have been looking at this morning!
October 29, 2003, 5:37 PM
Adron
Good job grok :)

You could also say "Try 'case mods' in google and see if it gives you any hits."

It seems to work rather nicely, producing links both to people who will do the modding for you and to the actual mod equipment. On a side note - if I had been answering the original question, where he stated that Google hadn't found anything useful, I would've been sure to try out a google search just to make sure there was something to be found...

Edit: btw, are you into case mods yourself now Grok? Or why have you been looking at sites mentioning that?
October 29, 2003, 8:45 PM
Grok
I was ordering a new power supply so had been on sites specializing in higher-priced items, which include case mods. Trying to find a balance between priorities of temperature control, noise limitation, and cost, I ended up with this power supply:

Enermax EG465AX-VE
http://www.enermax.com.tw/eg365ax-ve-fca.htm

Cost $92.99

While I actually purchased it from newegg, I found the price via pricegrabber.com. Somewhere along the newegg searches I came across the ThermalTake and other case mods, since they also carried CPU cooling supplies.
October 29, 2003, 9:04 PM
Adron
Ah. I just recently bought a new Papst cpu fan (only fan, not heatsink). It's much less noisy than the old one.

edit: About your power supply, are the 110 V models much less efficient than the 230V versions? I just looked at:

Iin=115/230VAC 6.5A/2A 9.5A /2.5A

2A*230VAC = 460 VA while 6.5A*115VAC = 747.5 VA, rather much more.
October 29, 2003, 9:05 PM
Grok
I can not answer that since I don't know much about electrical efficiency anymore, having not used the concepts since about 1990 before I left the Navy.

The power supply should be switchable to use either 115VAC or 230VAC. I relied on a technical comparison of a number of better power supplies in order to pick that one. The link is:

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2003q3/psus/index.x?pg=1
October 29, 2003, 9:19 PM
DarkVirus
[quote author=OuTLawZGoSu link=board=2;threadid=3319;start=0#msg26334 date=1067441873]
Im getting a new comp this month andi nwanna hook that shit up. im talkin about Neon Lights, CLear cases and some other stuff like that.Anyone no a website where ican get those. I tryed searching google but i coldnt get anything Help?
[/quote]

I just wanted to point out it took me an extra few seconds to wade through your babble of crummy english. Anyways, www.newegg.com is where I got/get all my stuff for systems. Also when "hookin the shit up" normally there are guides that show you. But if you can't figure out how to hook up your neon lights to your power supply, I suggest not trying to build a computer because you'll more than likely get shocked or damage the components.
October 29, 2003, 10:02 PM
warz
There's only one way to find out. Prove it!
October 29, 2003, 10:45 PM
Adron
Power = Current * Voltage is the general formula. So if you halve the voltage and double the current, the power is constant. If you halve the voltage and more than double the current, the power increases.
October 29, 2003, 11:53 PM
iago
So to make my computer more powerful, I just have to pump in more voltage? ;)
October 29, 2003, 11:58 PM
Adron
Indeed. Mostly you're not interested in total power though, only in the power that actually produces work that you are interested in. That's the biggest point to be made about the power supply: The desirable power *output* is constant and given, but the power *input* is different for 115VAC and 230VAC.
October 30, 2003, 12:04 AM
OuTLawZGoSu
i no a kid that can do it for me if i get shocked. hehe

and im not building a computer, im making it better.
October 30, 2003, 3:50 AM
DarkVirus
[quote author=OuTLawZGoSu link=board=2;threadid=3319;start=0#msg26435 date=1067485841]
i no a kid that can do it for me if i get shocked. hehe

and im not building a computer, im making it better.
[/quote]

Uhh...if you get shocked theres a good chance of maybe damaging some hardware. Also, if your "making it better" then you should probably buy the component's first and see how the connection is based. Either its via the Power Supply or you hook it directly to your motherboard.

Also your lack of ability to write posts that make sense the first time around offends me. Try using better grammer and spelling next time. Not that I don't myself talk like an idiot in chat rooms, but when asking somewhat logical questions on our forum, please ATTEMPT to use proper english. kthnx 8)
October 30, 2003, 9:48 PM
OuTLawZGoSu
LoL, i was playin' dawg. I know how to install hardware I'm gonna' get. And about the grammer, I was in a rush. Srry :/
October 31, 2003, 1:47 PM

Search