Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Need some video card advice

AuthorMessageTime
Naem
I've just purchased a GeForce4 Ti 4200 128MB DDR 4X AGP video card to compensate for poor image quality and framerates in games such as Counter-Strike. I had a Radeon LE before this, which was basically 32MB and 2X AGP.

With the Radeon, I'd get framerates (in CS) ranging from 15-70. With the Ti, though, my framerates are only about 20-60. I do have the latest drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_41.09 ), however, should I use the Detonator drivers instead of those drivers, or are they the same?

I had installed quite a few different Radeon tweakers that changed some registry settings to "speed up" the card. I'd also uninstalled and reinstalled different drivers countless times. I hooked up my Ti after uninstalling all my drivers and tweakers, but I'm thinking that maybe some registry settings for my Radeon are conflicting with the Ti or slowing me down somehow. I don't know, that's why I came here :)

GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128MB DDR 4X AGP
633MHz Celeron
256MB SDRAM
WinXP Pro SP1

I should really be getting better FPS than 20-60 in CS. The framerates take a huge drop when there are a lot of players on my screen (more than 5 or so). I'll have ~60 FPS while by myself, and 20 FPS when there are 6 models on the screen.  ???
February 28, 2003, 10:22 AM
Grok
Replace that motherboard.
February 28, 2003, 1:41 PM
pileofcrap
eh, it could be the motherboard but I dont know. First let me as a few questions......

Do you have alot of other shit running while you play CS. The motherboard can and should handle the game good but with that speed I wouldnt run other programs whlle gaming.

Next, did your other video card take a drop like that? from 60 to 20. If not, then why change just for a game?

3rd try a newer Service Pack for WIndows XP. I think I remember reading somewhere that ALOT of PC's had trouble with that service pack, but I dont remember why. Also it could just be Windows XP.

Last, I doubt that the reg. settings are conflicting. Im not saying it isnt possible, but I'd make that my last resort.

hope ive helped.
February 28, 2003, 2:24 PM
Naem 
Yeah, my motherboard is really crappy. My processor's pretty old, too, so it's hard to find a good motherboard that supports the same socket as my processor. I'm probably just better off getting a motherboard and processor combo, probably an Athlon XP something-or-other.

Guess it's time for me to get a job...
February 28, 2003, 6:22 PM
dRAgoN
it mightn't evin support that card, i would email the company that built your computer and ask if it does or not, give them the specs of the card / model number and crap of your box.
February 28, 2003, 6:28 PM
kamakazie
Turn off vertical sync and you should be able to get 99 frames.  I have a Geforce2 (and a XP 1800 cpu) and have constant 99 frames, with vsync off that is.  Vsync on is mich nicer looking however, as you don't see the tearing as you would with it off.  It seems that biggest bottleneck in your computer is the slow CPU by todays standards.  I suggest upgrading or even replacing the whole mobo/cpu like Grok suggested.
February 28, 2003, 6:40 PM
Yoni
A CPU upgrade (without upgrading motherboard) isn't recommended. If the Celeron 633MHz is compatible with that motherboard, it can't be a great motherboard.
February 28, 2003, 6:52 PM
pileofcrap
last time i checked www.tigerdirect.com was having a really nice sale on motherboard bundles (MB and CPU)

Check it out
February 28, 2003, 7:45 PM
Grok
That's why I said replace the motherboard.  It's certainly a 66mhz or 100mhz bus at best, and I really doubt it supports 2x or 4x AGP.

It's like his video card is a 20-lane highway, but there's only one toll booth open.
March 1, 2003, 2:35 AM
Atom
Celeron is pretty crappy for gaming, its really meant for internet Pc's.
March 3, 2003, 1:08 AM
pileofcrap
Thats ridiculous of you to say. Its just a different style/build processor than the pentium. I mean, yeah there are better choices, but to say that its "more for the internet" is just ridiculous.
March 3, 2003, 2:36 AM
Naem
I looked in my BIOS and it had an option to enable 4X AGP (it was enabled, of course).

I'll plop down $150 for an Athlon XP 2100+ with motherboard combo, sometime in the future..
March 3, 2003, 3:02 AM

Search