Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | BNSimulator: bot development tool

AuthorMessageTime
Tuberload
Thanks
October 21, 2003, 5:09 PM
Grok
Which version of battle.net does it emulate?

Does it support account numbers?
October 21, 2003, 6:02 PM
Adron
As far as I know, account numbers don't apply to the chat protocol, or to the current binary protocol?
October 21, 2003, 9:16 PM
Freeware
sounds intresting, maybe the next BNETed?
October 21, 2003, 11:15 PM
iago
eww@editing out the original post.. I would have liked to read it!
October 22, 2003, 12:46 AM
Grok
I don't like that BBS feature. Non-moderators should not be able to edit posts which have replies.
October 22, 2003, 2:53 AM
Tuberload
I was asking for any suggestions or idea's for a server/development tool that mimic's the chat protocol. This is a learning situation for me, and I figured I would get some feed back I myself might have over looked. I felt like my post wasn't wanted so deleted it. If you like I will repost.
October 22, 2003, 3:36 AM
iago
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=17;threadid=3181;start=0#msg24960 date=1066793791]
I was asking for any suggestions or idea's for a server/development tool that mimic's the chat protocol. This is a learning situation for me, and I figured I would get some feed back I myself might have over looked. I felt like my post wasn't wanted so deleted it. If you like I will repost.

[/quote]

Based on their responses, it doesn't seem like it was unwanted..
October 22, 2003, 4:14 AM
Grok
[quote author=Adron link=board=17;threadid=3181;start=0#msg24894 date=1066770972]
As far as I know, account numbers don't apply to the chat protocol, or to the current binary protocol?
[/quote]

As far as I know, what you know so far is accurate. IIRC, and I might not RC, well now I forgot what I was recalling, so far. Still, when he mentioned he might later add game support, I extrapolated that the 'chat' term in 'chat server' was not specific to mean non-binary, but to mean BNCS emulation overall, but first supporting the chatting features.

That being the case, whether it was the case, is the case, or never was or is not currently the case, there would be choices of which BNCS to emulate. In the stream of time there have been many iterations of BNCS varying by stability and features, account numbers among them.
October 22, 2003, 5:35 AM
Soul Taker
Ergo, concorduntly, vis-a-vis, hope is the quintessential human delusion... that's about all I got from your post Grok =P
October 22, 2003, 7:14 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=Grok link=board=17;threadid=3181;start=0#msg24975 date=1066800943]
[quote author=Adron link=board=17;threadid=3181;start=0#msg24894 date=1066770972]
[/quote]

As far as I know, what you know so far is accurate. IIRC, and I might not RC, well now I forgot what I was recalling, so far. Still, when he mentioned he might later add game support, I extrapolated that the 'chat' term in 'chat server' was not specific to mean non-binary, but to mean BNCS emulation overall, but first supporting the chatting features.

That being the case, whether it was the case, is the case, or never was or is not currently the case, there would be choices of which BNCS to emulate. In the stream of time there have been many iterations of BNCS varying by stability and features, account numbers among them.
[/quote]

I sort of understand what you are saying:

Grok is not doubting my knowledge of the chat protocol, but I was not specific in my projects description. Yada yada, whether Grok was right or wrong, the main point is there are two protocol types, telnet and game.

I thought you were sarcastically telling me I don't know what I am doing, so stfu.

Woops
October 22, 2003, 7:56 AM
Adron
Grok wasn't doubting *my* knowledge .. I don't think he said anything about your knowledge.
October 22, 2003, 8:02 AM
Tuberload
I left out a part of that sentence, my mistake.
October 22, 2003, 8:04 AM
Grok
[quote author=Adron link=board=17;threadid=3181;start=0#msg24995 date=1066809730]
Grok wasn't doubting *my* knowledge .. I don't think he said anything about your knowledge.
[/quote]

Undoubtedly, I don't doubt that.
Thus, it goes without saying that ..
October 22, 2003, 11:53 AM
UserLoser
[quote author=Soul Taker link=board=17;threadid=3181;start=0#msg24987 date=1066806860]
Ergo, concorduntly, vis-a-vis, hope is the quintessential human delusion... that's about all I got from your post Grok =P
[/quote]

What the hell does that mean?
October 22, 2003, 10:07 PM
Soul Taker
It's a reference to a popular movie.
October 22, 2003, 10:36 PM
iago
[quote author=Grok link=board=17;threadid=3181;start=0#msg24975 date=1066800943]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Since, according to the subject, it's a bot development tool, I'd think that the most likely emulation would be the current BNCS implementation.
October 22, 2003, 10:58 PM
Grok
That's a guess. We don't know that he wasn't planning on writing a binary bot and sending it back through time to 1997 to beat Adron to the punch. If that is the case then he'd want to support account numbers.
October 23, 2003, 12:28 AM
Yoni
[quote author=UserLoser link=board=17;threadid=3181;start=0#msg25066 date=1066860438]
[quote author=Soul Taker link=board=17;threadid=3181;start=0#msg24987 date=1066806860]
[/quote]

What the hell does that mean?
[/quote]See: MTV Movie Awards Reloaded. If you missed it it's on the Matrix: Reloaded DVD and probably the Internet.
October 23, 2003, 12:29 AM
CrAz3D
So, from what I've gathered it's a BNETD type program yes? Anyone mind posting the originaly post back?
October 23, 2003, 1:26 AM
Tuberload
Name: BNSimulator
Language: Java
Platform: Created on windows so may have issues running on other OS's
Description: It is supposed to simulate the Battle.net Chat Protocol (0x3) to help developers create their bot's without having to connect to battle.net itself. It also has support for simulating users/channels/events, so you don't need people to test your application. If you like it can be used just as a chat server, but it's main goal is to be a development tool.

This is not meant as an advertisement because obviously a development tool for creating bots that use the chat protocol is no longer relevant. Maybe someday I will be able to implement some of the game protocol. I was just looking for suggestions/features/requirements anyone might have. This will give me added challenges and add to my learning experience.
October 23, 2003, 2:17 AM
Spht
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=17;threadid=3181;start=15#msg25147 date=1066875448]
[/quote]

Yeah, maybe...
October 23, 2003, 3:07 AM
Yoni
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=17;threadid=3181;start=15#msg25147 date=1066875448]
[/quote]
Hmm, isn't one of the main features of Java its platform-independence? So what's the point of making a platform-dependent program, especially a server, in Java?
October 23, 2003, 4:10 AM
Tuberload
Let me explain what that meant... I said it is being developed on windows, so it might have issues when running on other OS's. It will work yes because the language is platform independent, but that does not mean that some of my programming practices when it comes to accessing files and such will not cause problems. Understand? The only reason I put that description was to let people know what platform it is being developed on...
October 23, 2003, 5:06 AM
iago
[quote author=Yoni link=board=17;threadid=3181;start=15#msg25161 date=1066882250]
[/quote]
Hmm, isn't one of the main features of Java its platform-independence? So what's the point of making a platform-dependent program, especially a server, in Java?
[/quote]

Our prof told us that Java occasionally get confused when doing platform-specific stuff (GUI's and Sockets spefically) but for the most part it should be ok :)
October 23, 2003, 5:35 AM
Tuberload
Ok, because I have read that sometimes if you don't make your program handle certain situations differently depending on the operating system it could cause bugs in the software. I just wanted to make people aware of the development circumstances if that were the case.
October 23, 2003, 5:53 AM
iago
For Java, it shouldn't matter. But, in rare cases it does.

Incidently, you can also cause memory leaks in Java. It's hard, but possible.
See:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-leaks/
October 23, 2003, 7:25 AM
Tuberload
Thanks, iago, for the article. It is the most useful thing this thread has produced for me so far.
October 23, 2003, 7:32 AM
Adron
Seems to me like java's memory management is very bad. It will allocate lots of memory from the system and not bother to return memory to the system even if the system is running low on memory and the memory has no references inside java.
October 23, 2003, 10:34 AM
Tuberload
From what I have been reading alot of that has to do with the JVM you are using. I just started reading on the subject, so I have no real opinion except what do you concider to be worse: a program that hogs memory, and only returns it when finished, or, a program that may have a leak somewere and never return the memory?
October 23, 2003, 11:48 AM
St0rm.iD
[quote author=Adron link=board=17;threadid=3181;start=15#msg25202 date=1066905259]
Seems to me like java's memory management is very bad. It will allocate lots of memory from the system and not bother to return memory to the system even if the system is running low on memory and the memory has no references inside java.
[/quote]

"Java" is a lot of different things, which is hard for a lot of people to realize.

Java is:
- A syntax definition, the sematics of declaring a class, etc
- A standard library definition, the class names and what they do
- A class file format definition, the bytecode that is in .class files
- A virtual machine definition, a description of the behavior of a VM

You're probably talking about how sucky the Sun "reference implementation" is. This is the package you get from java.sun.com. I agree with you, it's pretty bad. There are alternatives you can use for each component of java. For the syntax definition (source code compiler), I've found that IBM's jikes compiler is about a bazillion times better than javac. The classpath.org GNU classpath is a GNU implementation of the Java standard library. The class files and VMs have been implemented by several third parties, like BEA, GNU, kaffe, etc.

I agree that Sun's tools really suck, but if there was a truly good implementation, Java could take off.
October 23, 2003, 7:09 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=17;threadid=3181;start=30#msg25242 date=1066936161]
I agree that Sun's tools really suck, but if there was a truly good implementation, Java could take off.
[/quote]

Faster than it already is.
October 23, 2003, 9:42 PM
Adron
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=17;threadid=3181;start=15#msg25209 date=1066909719]
From what I have been reading alot of that has to do with the JVM you are using. I just started reading on the subject, so I have no real opinion except what do you concider to be worse: a program that hogs memory, and only returns it when finished, or, a program that may have a leak somewere and never return the memory?
[/quote]

A program that has a leak somewhere and never returns the memory is just the same as a program that hogs memory and only returns it when finished in at least 95% of the cases. Reading that article, it seems that every Java program will by default leak <insert java interpreter heap size> megabytes of RAM before starting to free up memory that *should* be free.
October 24, 2003, 10:23 AM
Adron
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=17;threadid=3181;start=30#msg25242 date=1066936161]
You're probably talking about how sucky the Sun "reference implementation" is.
[/quote]

I was talking about this quote from the article Iago posted a link to:

[quote]
The Sun JDK 1.1.8 uses a default 1 MB startup setting and a 16 MB maximum setting. The IBM JDK 1.1.8 uses a default maximum setting of one-half the total physical memory size of the machine. These memory settings have a direct impact on what the JVM does when it runs out of memory. The JVM may continue growing the heap rather than wait for a garbage collection cycle to complete.
[/quote]

Given this, an application running in IBM JDK could use up half the physical memory before the IBM JDK considers returning some memory to the operating system, even if the application only really needs 1 megabyte or so.
October 24, 2003, 10:29 AM
Skywing
[quote author=Adron link=board=17;threadid=3181;start=30#msg25343 date=1066991029]
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=17;threadid=3181;start=15#msg25209 date=1066909719]
[/quote]

A program that has a leak somewhere and never returns the memory is just the same as a program that hogs memory and only returns it when finished in at least 95% of the cases. Reading that article, it seems that every Java program will by default leak <insert java interpreter heap size> megabytes of RAM before starting to free up memory that *should* be free.
[/quote]
I remember a certain person explaining to me how NBBot's unlimited size command history was completely different from a memory leak...
October 24, 2003, 7:52 PM
Tuberload
I doesn't make sense why Sun doesn't just allocate the needed amount of memory at run time, and then re-allocate more as needed... Then again a lot of things don't make sense.
October 24, 2003, 10:21 PM
Adron
[quote author=Skywing link=board=17;threadid=3181;start=30#msg25443 date=1067025142]
I remember a certain person explaining to me how NBBot's unlimited size command history was completely different from a memory leak...
[/quote]

Hmm? It is indeed very different from a memory leak. That's memory in use, not just memory hogged. You can go through all those commands using the up and down arrows. Memory hogged would be like the java compiler allocating memory up to half the physical ram (say 512 MB) when it could really just garbage collect and reuse a single megabyte 512 times instead.

October 25, 2003, 1:58 AM

Search