Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Packet logger

AuthorMessageTime
Stealth
Can anyone recommend a packet logging program?

Many thanks in advance.
January 17, 2003, 9:45 PM
Spht
CommView is decent and easy to use with a number of features.
January 17, 2003, 9:53 PM
Yoni
www.ethereal.com
January 17, 2003, 10:08 PM
MesiaH
ill go with ethereal myself, it has a horrible gtk UI, but thats what u get for using something made on some crappy unix platform.

But aside its looks, it is awesome, it has like intellegence, it knew all the frame names, and layers for oscar protocol when i logged aim, and pretty much parsed it out. It is the best.
January 17, 2003, 11:28 PM
St0rm.iD
Crappy unix platform lol.
January 18, 2003, 5:09 PM
Spht
Ethereal enjoys harassing my computer by periodically forcing it to reboot randomly.

So therefore, CommView > Ethereal.
January 18, 2003, 5:36 PM
dRAgoN
[quote]Ethereal enjoys harassing my computer by periodically forcing it to reboot randomly.

So therefore, CommView > Ethereal.[/quote]

I have yet to find a packet logger that likes my network card neither of those do. ^^
January 18, 2003, 6:13 PM
UserLoser
WPE PRO!
January 18, 2003, 8:12 PM
Spht
[quote]WPE[/quote]

WPE is a piece of *bleap* that logs by program instead of IP / Port / Protocol / etcetera. I believe it only has the ability log TCP messages, aswell.
January 18, 2003, 8:58 PM
MesiaH
yes i use wpe pro also, cause i dunno how etheral filters work yet, so i just target the program with wpe, and read the logs :-p

i guess its alright if u know how the protocol works, but no, theres nothing special about it.

also, wpe pro does log udp protocol, but doesnt show very much on it.
January 19, 2003, 12:08 AM
iago
WPE is handy if you're downloading a file, or have a network passing through your computer (which is what happens to me unless I feel like getting a router (which I don't)), since it'll only log from the target program :-)
January 19, 2003, 4:37 AM
Naem
Ethereal stopped working once I got WinXP Pro.
(yeah, I have the newest winpcap stuff)

Therefore, WPE > Ethereal. :)
January 19, 2003, 1:01 PM
Yoni
Your conclusion is wrong.
It should say:

"Therefore, Ethereal > WinXP Pro"
January 19, 2003, 1:31 PM
iago
I have winxp pro and ethereal works fine :P
January 19, 2003, 1:56 PM
Noodlez
commview and wpe = thx
if only i didnt lose commview in a format
January 20, 2003, 3:05 AM
MesiaH
commview was excellent, but i had a goddamn trial version, so it only showed half the packets i logged, which was no good whatsoever, and maybe you should try re downloading ethereal, and reinstalling, cause ive had winxp ever since it was beta, and its always worked for me.
January 20, 2003, 4:00 PM
Zakath
People should stop using Windows XP. That would solve all these problems.

Win2k > WinXP, kthx.
January 20, 2003, 4:59 PM
MesiaH
whats so wrong with winxp? win2k was designed most efficient over all win9.x systems, but winxp uses the same nt based platform, and made it 10x better and user-friendly. What problems do you oppose winxp has that win2k can handle?
January 20, 2003, 5:12 PM
Zakath
I'm not saying WinXP isn't a workable OS - I'm saying Win2k is better. It's less bloated, more stable - and the "user friendliness" you mention is extremely distasteful to me. They screwed up the whole way the interface works.

I'm sure it works fine for you...I was just trying to be funny. :-/
January 20, 2003, 5:54 PM
MesiaH
o, in that case;

;D

i guess it all depends on who knows how to tweak theyre system just right ;)
January 21, 2003, 12:59 AM
iago
I like XP better, but if I wanted to run a server or do serious work, I would use 2K.  Even if you turn off the frills, it's still hard to take Windows XP seriously :D
January 21, 2003, 11:50 AM

Search