Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | New to Programming (Looking For Classes)

AuthorMessageTime
Hellbound
I've been learning C++ from the book "Learn to Program with C++. Looking for some online programming classes. Doesnt have to be C++, Vb and Java would be fine. My senior year which is next year im taken Ap Computer Science which Java is taught there. - Thanks
October 16, 2003, 3:50 AM
Etheran
"
November 3, 2003, 10:41 PM
Tuberload
My first question is, Etheran what exactly was that post about? I'm sure you meant to post something else.

To Hellbound, if you are really interested in learning to program just start reading books and articles about whatever language it is you want to learn. Then use what you have read to write new programs, or update old ones. Practice makes perfect, which in turn takes time. If you are truly serious about learning the language you will not rush into making battle.net chat clients/bots to try and prove your coolness. You will actually learn the language.

Now I am assuming someone will post saying I am stupid because I didn't give you step by step instructions on how to learn a language, but if you are serious hopefully this post will help get you pointed in the right direction. Read and apply, read and apply. Then some day you might be able to write something for someone else to read. ;D
November 4, 2003, 8:32 AM
Etheran
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=5;threadid=3110;start=0#msg27306 date=1067934735]
My first question is, Etheran what exactly was that post about? I'm sure you meant to post something else.

To Hellbound, if you are really interested in learning to program just start reading books and articles about whatever language it is you want to learn. Then use what you have read to write new programs, or update old ones. Practice makes perfect, which in turn takes time. If you are truly serious about learning the language you will not rush into making battle.net chat clients/bots to try and prove your coolness. You will actually learn the language.

Now I am assuming someone will post saying I am stupid because I didn't give you step by step instructions on how to learn a language, but if you are serious hopefully this post will help get you pointed in the right direction. Read and apply, read and apply. Then some day you might be able to write something for someone else to read. ;D
[/quote]He forgot to close his quote... sorry it just bugged me.
November 4, 2003, 11:32 PM
Tuberload
I was just wondering. Maybe if I would have looked more closely I would have noticed that. ;D
November 5, 2003, 8:26 AM
MoNksBaNe_Agahnim
a CC is always a good option (Community/City College -- one in the same). If you are 16 and atleast a junior in highschool they will except you in taking classes there. There are two types of classes, credit and non-credit. Credit classes give you college credit for taking them (because you get a grade) but usually you need a certain amount of highschool credits for those (Texas you need 17 credits i believe which is nothing). Or you can take a non-credit class which is just for your entertainment. Don't get graded or college credit or anything just a fun class to take. I took a none credit class (because freakin texas screwed me my losing a bunch of credits when i moved here from california) and i learned a lot. Good start for me because i am not the kind of person who can sit and read and do it, i ask a lot of annoying a stupid questions :P. Also as a student (technically) you usually get student discounts for software. My friend got C++ .Net for 50 bucks at his CC (doesn't contain all the libraries though i think or header files) but it will get you easily through begginer stuff and most of intermediate.
November 15, 2003, 8:28 PM

Search