Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | C++

AuthorMessageTime
ArC
I'm interested in learning C++, could anyone suggest some any books or sites to me?
January 24, 2003, 12:23 AM
Zakath
The book I learned the basics from isn't bad...Deitel and Deitel's Object Oriented Programming in the UML, as I recall, is the title.
January 24, 2003, 12:49 AM
Noodlez
The C++ Programming Language
January 24, 2003, 1:22 AM
Eibro
Websites off the top of my head...
http://www.cprogramming.com
http://www.cpp-home.com
http://www.cplusplus.com

Books... I wouldn't recommend "The C++ Programming Language" as a first book. Look here: http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/0sb/beginner_s_c__.htm#recbook
January 24, 2003, 1:34 AM
Etheran
[quote]The book I learned the basics from isn't bad...Deitel and Deitel's Object Oriented Programming in the UML, as I recall, is the title.[/quote]
lol, I have that book.  It's sooo long and you'll want to stop reading it once you get done with the history of cpp section(like me).  hehehe if you're not a big reader then I wouldn't really recommend this book.  It's great for reference, but too detailed for my liking.  I got started with a book called teach yourself c++ in 24 hours by liberty.  It's a lot shorter and it covers a lot about standard c++.
January 24, 2003, 3:18 AM
Grok
I've recommended Sam's Publishing "Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days" to a dozen people, and each has been happy with the book.  It's an excellent kick-start.
January 24, 2003, 10:52 AM
Zakath
[quote]
lol, I have that book.  It's sooo long and you'll want to stop reading it once you get done with the history of cpp section(like me).  hehehe if you're not a big reader then I wouldn't really recommend this book.  It's great for reference, but too detailed for my liking.  I got started with a book called teach yourself c++ in 24 hours by liberty.  It's a lot shorter and it covers a lot about standard c++.
[/quote]

I like this book...I've chewed through pretty much the whole thing since I've had it, and it's an excellent reference on standard library stuff. Pity you didn't like all the detail...
January 24, 2003, 12:03 PM
MesiaH
ill go with grok, i dont own a c++ book of sams, but ive read html and vb ones, and it comes with a lil extra's cd to get u started as well, sams is a very nice book, not the cheapest though.
January 24, 2003, 5:32 PM
Etheran
[quote]

I like this book...I've chewed through pretty much the whole thing since I've had it, and it's an excellent reference on standard library stuff. Pity you didn't like all the detail...
[/quote]
I had already read more then 9 chapters out of the sams book when I had the chance to read deteil & deteil.  I have no question that this a great book to learn c++ with, but it just wasn't for me.
January 24, 2003, 6:06 PM
ArC
Well.
I went to Barnes and Noble, only books i could find there was C++ How To Program Fourth Edition By H.M Deitel and P.J Deitel. I hope am on the right track. :)
January 24, 2003, 8:27 PM
Grok
Your Barnes & Noble must really suck.  Mine has about 8 isles of computer books, about 6 racks per idle, 4 shelves per rack, and 18-20 books per shelf.  Of those, at least 3 racks are nothing but C/C++.
January 25, 2003, 12:24 AM
Eibro
[quote]Your Barnes & Noble must really suck.  Mine has about 8 isles of computer books, about 6 racks per idle, 4 shelves per rack, and 18-20 books per shelf.  Of those, at least 3 racks are nothing but C/C++.[/quote]
Haha, and the largest bookstore around here has a single isle of programming books. I usually just order off of amazon, they have free shipping deals from time to time, plus in most cases it's cheaper.
January 25, 2003, 12:25 PM
WolfSage
2 things.

Borders has many computer books. (About 8 shelves)

And Sams Teach your-self C++ owns. :)

(Eth! Borders! Gogo you lazy bastard!)
January 26, 2003, 12:33 AM
iago
[quote]Your Barnes & Noble must really suck.  Mine has about 8 isles of computer books, about 6 racks per idle, 4 shelves per rack, and 18-20 books per shelf.  Of those, at least 3 racks are nothing but C/C++.[/quote]

eeew, you counted? :P

My local book store has a decent sized wall covered in computer books :-)

I find it best to learn from example, though.. www.planet-source-code.com was good for that, if it's still around.
January 26, 2003, 4:18 AM
dRAgoN
i still recomend MicrosoftPress ^^
January 26, 2003, 4:25 AM
Invert
When i was learning programming in college they used Deitel and Deitel books. I have a nice array of the Deitel and Deitel books, I like them all.

I did get started with Sams C++ in 24hrs book on my own. Someone stole that book from me  :(
January 29, 2003, 9:37 PM

Search