Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | OSCAR protocol

AuthorMessageTime
MesiaH
Anybody know how it works? I know it, and have an aim client im working on, but i was wondering if anybody had any newer information or documents since aim 5.0 came out.

The document i was using is like the only ull find if u look on google, its the FAIM page thing, all black and white, and all OLD.

Anybody who uses it, dont.

Anybody interested in learning it? Or does anybody have anything more than that crappy doc?
January 8, 2003, 1:16 AM
n00blar
From what I've heard, from my brother, its quite crazy!
January 8, 2003, 1:20 AM
MesiaH
its crazy alright, makes bnets protocol look easy (it is kinda ez..)

thats why im looking for as much help as i can get  :-/
January 8, 2003, 1:55 AM
Noodlez
http://www.pscode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=27981&lngWId=1

Not only is that a fully working AIM client but it also has the protocol documentation in it.
January 8, 2003, 3:14 PM
MesiaH
Noodlez, aim has 2 protocol gateways, like battle.net

TOC/TIK which is a string protocol, like battle.nets CHAT protocol

OSCAR which is in binary format, like battle.net binary protocol (cept much MUCH more complicated)

TOC/TIK is mega ez, and has already been done, plus it only allows few things, chatting, lookup profile, warning, and blocking. Thats about it.

OSCAR is the protocol that lets u do everything AIM does, im looking for help with OSCAR protocol.
January 8, 2003, 4:48 PM
indulgence
You need to pretty much attempt this in C++ (it could be done in vb -- but its harder)...

Look at the old libfaims... The FLAP is pretty hard to comprehend -- but once you get the hang of it... Look at particularly the logon sequence first and try to make a client that will logon and build from there...
January 9, 2003, 4:19 PM
MesiaH
i understand how flap works, snac, tlv's, and any other thing that looks weird.

just them libfaims dont have everything updated, like newer capabilities, options, buddy icons, things like that.

and i dont really like logging the real aim, but if it boils down to that, i guess i got no choice, cause aim has these weird http type packets that send every so often, and they confuse the hell out of me when im looking for certain packets.

so im just checkin to see if anybodys knows anything else that hasnt been documented yet, or if they have a newer document.
January 9, 2003, 10:39 PM
Arta
I know a lot of work has been done with OSCAR, i'm sure better docs are available someplace. Try checking out opensource OSCAR-using projects on sourceforge (etc).

Probably can find something useful from that
January 10, 2003, 7:33 PM
St0rm.iD
Packet log it with ethereal. It automatically parses it so you can look at the fields.

Besides, reversing engineering a non-encrypted protocol is easy++.
January 10, 2003, 7:46 PM
MesiaH
lol i dont know asm or whatever those weird languages are that show all that screwy shit, nor do i know c/c++

and i looked all over sourceforge, there are a ton of oscar projects, but do u think theyd have any files in them? nooooooooo not a damn one.
January 11, 2003, 12:42 AM
indulgence
Gaim did -- it used the libfaim library

most oscar-enabled open source projects dropped the idea when AOL added an AIM data request to its "keepalive". Basically requested a hashed section of data from the aim.exe... That sent most opensourcers to the TOC protocol pretty fast -- it was really an attempt by AOL to prevent MSN from using OSCAR...

Most new rendezvous features arent going to be found/supported by open source apps...

When you packetlog make sure you have run AIM+ or something similar to stop the Advertising connections...
www.bigosoftware.com
January 11, 2003, 12:59 AM
MesiaH
i didnt know the keepalive packets were hashed...

and i downloaded the ethereal (it actually detected my onboard ethernet, unlike 90% of the other ones), and it is fucking sweet. it parses everything, like it knows how every protocol works, thats damn leet, i just made a new best friend :-P

and as for clients switching to toc, i beleive gaim now uses oscar, as well as trillian. they used to use toc, then realized how ez, and lame it is..
January 11, 2003, 1:13 AM
indulgence
Trillian has used OSCAR for a while...

Gaim keeps flip-flopping... If you read the archived updates you'll see.
January 12, 2003, 12:56 AM

Search