Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Hooking winsock in VB?

AuthorMessageTime
k0ld phuzi0n
Anyone know if there exists an VB project that hooks winsock?  So that you can read datapackets from a game?/

I just want to be able to see the games incoming data so i can create an assistant progrma based on the protocol.  Also.. proxying wont work.  Ive done it for quite a few games, but some wont let you edi them enough to proxy the connection.
January 23, 2003, 12:09 AM
Adron
[quote]Anyone know if there exists an VB project that hooks winsock?  So that you can read datapackets from a game?/

I just want to be able to see the games incoming data so i can create an assistant progrma based on the protocol.  Also.. proxying wont work.  Ive done it for quite a few games, but some wont let you edi them enough to proxy the connection.[/quote]

Yes. Such project exists. There's probably more than one, but I know there is at least one because I started on one. It needs porting to a few more operating systems though.

January 23, 2003, 7:22 AM
n0nphyxi0n
Can I see this source anywhere bychance?  Can I chat with your somehow to try to learn how to do this?
January 25, 2003, 7:53 PM
Adron
[quote]Can I see this source anywhere bychance?  Can I chat with your somehow to try to learn how to do this?[/quote]

It's not on a web page as far as I can remember. What operating system do you want it to run on? It uses a dll written in msvc++, so to port it to more operating systems than it already runs on you'd have to know some c++.

You can try looking for me in the channel some time. Remember to state your business, don't just pop in and get banned.

January 26, 2003, 3:24 PM
St0rm.iD
I'm working on that project, but it's in C. I might be able to write a DLL, callable from windows, but that's unlikely, because I'm using TONS of pointers, hehe.
January 27, 2003, 11:56 AM
Skywing
[quote]I'm working on that project, but it's in C. I might be able to write a DLL, callable from windows, but that's unlikely, because I'm using TONS of pointers, hehe.[/quote]
Huh?  How's using pointers make a DLL unusable in Windows?
January 27, 2003, 1:56 PM
St0rm.iD
Bah, typo

windows = vb
January 27, 2003, 6:01 PM
Noodlez
pointers in DLLs and vb get along fine if you know how to use them.
January 27, 2003, 11:12 PM
St0rm.iD
Noodlez, you've never experienced the true pointer then ;)
January 28, 2003, 5:28 PM
n00blar
Storm, noodlez is correct and you are wrong, sadly said.  However, visual basic does use the windows api.. last time I checked there were a few functions that help in that area =p
January 29, 2003, 2:44 PM
St0rm.iD
It has _references_, which are kind-of-sort-of pointers, unless you use those odd ObjPtr and AddressOf keywords that, if you're using them, you might as well switch languages, as you're going outside of VB's realm.

Of course VB uses the windows api.
January 29, 2003, 4:36 PM
Adron
I just decided to give you a chance to try and see if the hook project i made would work for you.

Files:

WSHook.dll
Winsockhook.ocx
WinsockhookSamples.zip

It's 3.5 years old, so don't expect me to remember anything about how they work...

February 3, 2003, 5:45 PM
Noodlez
adron that works perfect, i use it all the time :)

thanks for it btw
February 3, 2003, 10:03 PM
St0rm.iD
Argh adron, I wanted to do it myself!

Psst...what DLL should I hook? heh.
February 3, 2003, 11:06 PM
Adron
[quote]adron that works perfect, i use it all the time :)

thanks for it btw[/quote]

What OS are you using it with? Tried any that didn't work?

Feels good to know it's appreciated too :)
February 4, 2003, 6:44 PM
Adron
[quote]Argh adron, I wanted to do it myself!

Psst...what DLL should I hook? heh.[/quote]

I hook winsock... And sure, do it yourself, I'm not stopping you. You may want to do it yourself just to get support for something that doesn't work in my version.
February 4, 2003, 6:55 PM
St0rm.iD
Wsock32, winsock, or ws2_32!? I can't figure this damn thing out! sonofabitch!

lol
February 4, 2003, 7:48 PM
dRAgoN
wsock32 ^^
February 4, 2003, 8:35 PM
Skywing
[quote]Wsock32, winsock, or ws2_32!? I can't figure this damn thing out! sonofabitch!

lol[/quote]
I'd suggest hooking whichever the program in question uses.
February 4, 2003, 8:59 PM
Noodlez
Adron, its worked on 2k,XP,98 so far
February 4, 2003, 9:21 PM

Search