Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Can you say ridiculous?

AuthorMessageTime
Skywing
Check this out.

Because you know that something's seriously screwed up when this comes true:
[quote]"I expect I will be well-represented in the case of a lawsuit," Halderman said. "If pressing the Shift key is a violation of the DMCA, then the law needs to be changed."[/quote]

I also like how they claim that they can also file a lawsuit "since Halderman concluded that the technology was ineffective without knowing about future enhancements". Apparently deciding that something is "ineffective" is also illegal now.
October 10, 2003, 5:36 AM
hismajesty
[quote]On Thursday, SunnComm CEO Peter Jacobs said the company plans legal action and is considering both criminal and civil suits. He said it may charge the student with maligning the company's reputation and, possibly, with violating copyright law that bans the distribution of tools for breaking through digital piracy safeguards. [/quote]

Uh oh, they're going to ban the shift key. ::)
October 10, 2003, 10:21 AM
Grok
Note that in SunnComm's NEWS postings, there's nothing about the Shift-key circumvention --

http://www.sunncomm.com/news/listnews.asp

Also -- You have to click "I have read this statement" indicating your know the risk of their company's position -- before you are allowed to view the website.
October 10, 2003, 12:57 PM
Etheran
Of course their rep went down.. lmao this is funny!!
October 10, 2003, 1:19 PM
iago
From the original article:
[quote]Under normal circumstances, the antipiracy software is automatically loaded onto a Windows machine whenever the Hamilton album is run in a computer's CD drive, making traditional copying or MP3 ripping impossible. However, simply holding down the Shift key prevents Windows' AutoRun feature from loading the copy-protection software, leaving the music free to copy, Halderman said. [/quote]

If anything, THAT should be illegal, installing un-authorized software onto somebody's computer. If I was that student, I would counter-sue.

And that's why I disable autorun, and just because autorun is annoying to begin with :)
October 10, 2003, 1:38 PM
Skywing
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=3020;start=0#msg23649 date=1065793082]
[quote]Under normal circumstances, the antipiracy software is automatically loaded onto a Windows machine whenever the Hamilton album is run in a computer's CD drive, making traditional copying or MP3 ripping impossible. However, simply holding down the Shift key prevents Windows' AutoRun feature from loading the copy-protection software, leaving the music free to copy, Halderman said. [/quote]

If anything, THAT should be illegal, installing un-authorized software onto somebody's computer. If I was that student, I would counter-sue.

And that's why I disable autorun, and just because autorun is annoying to begin with :)
[/quote]
Since it installs a driver, and only Administrators can do that, I suppose running as a limited user is illegal, too.
October 10, 2003, 2:52 PM
Grok
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=3020;start=0#msg23649 date=1065793082]

[/quote]

Careful there Iago --- disabling autorun on your computer might get you sued.
October 10, 2003, 3:14 PM
iago
But if windows is installed for too long, Autorun eventually stops working. At least, I've talked to several people who that's happened to.

Therefore, you should be forced to reinstall windows every month or risk being sued!
October 10, 2003, 9:16 PM
JunkyardDog
SO CREATING A SERIES OF CAPITAL LETTERS LIKE THIS BY HOLDING THE SHIFT KEY IS ILLEGAL? UH OH :O
October 10, 2003, 10:07 PM
iago
[quote author=JunkyardDog link=board=2;threadid=3020;start=0#msg23698 date=1065823625]
SO CREATING A SERIES OF CAPITAL LETTERS LIKE THIS BY HOLDING THE SHIFT KEY IS ILLEGAL? UH OH :O
[/quote]

It's also rude :D

And only if you're putting a cd in your computer at the time!
October 10, 2003, 10:07 PM
Crim-Training
well, i hope they remove the shift key, im sick of accidntly pressing shit 5 times and getting stuck with sticky keys in the middle of a game
October 12, 2003, 7:55 PM
Newby
I hate stickykeys =P
October 12, 2003, 8:03 PM
iago
[quote author=Crim-Training link=board=2;threadid=3020;start=0#msg23938 date=1065988515]
well, i hope they remove the shift key, im sick of accidntly pressing shit 5 times and getting stuck with sticky keys in the middle of a game
[/quote]

When you press it 5 times, there's an option to "Disable Stickykeys" .. click it :P
October 12, 2003, 8:22 PM
Yoni
Just go to Control Panel -> Accessibility and disable all those things there, then remove Accessibility from the Control Panel using TweakUI and you won't ever have to see it again.
October 13, 2003, 12:26 AM

Search