Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Advanced Programming | "Low-level" Win32 Unicode text output - DrawTextW?

AuthorMessageTime
Skywing
I've tracked down a problem in displaying some Unicode characters in my MSN messenger program to DrawTextW.

Specifically, if I pass, say, an Arabic or a Japanese character to DrawTextW, it outputs a box.

A Rich Edit control has no trouble correctly displaying these. What am I supposed to be using if DrawTextW isn't working right, or is there some special thing I need to do to make it work properly? In both cases, I used the "MS Shell Dlg" font.

If necessary, I can post portions of the code.
October 9, 2003, 1:20 AM
TheMinistered
Did you try using DrawTextEx?
October 9, 2003, 2:56 AM
Skywing
[quote author=TheMinistered link=board=23;threadid=3008;start=0#msg23512 date=1065668171]
Did you try using DrawTextEx?
[/quote]
No. Unless I'm mistaken, the extra formatting options (tab length, margins) that DrawTextEx provides should not matter here.
October 9, 2003, 3:58 AM
drivehappy
"Windows 2000/XP: There is a new interface font called MS Shell Dlg 2. This maps to Tahoma, which is the default font used throughout the system. For an application that runs only on these systems, you can specify DS_SHELLFONT with MS Shell Dlg 2 to map to Tahoma. "
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/intl/nls_4qcn.asp

Maybe try the font-face "MS Shell Dlg 2"?
October 9, 2003, 4:41 AM
Skywing
[quote author=drivehappy link=board=23;threadid=3008;start=0#msg23529 date=1065674462]
"Windows 2000/XP: There is a new interface font called MS Shell Dlg 2. This maps to Tahoma, which is the default font used throughout the system. For an application that runs only on these systems, you can specify DS_SHELLFONT with MS Shell Dlg 2 to map to Tahoma. "
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/intl/nls_4qcn.asp

Maybe try the font-face "MS Shell Dlg 2"?
[/quote]
I'll give it a try, but a) the program should run on Windows NT4 (and Windows 98), and b) "MS Shell Dlg" works with RichEdit.
October 9, 2003, 4:56 AM

Search