[Edit: Thread title]
October 6, 2003, 11:18 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Yoni link=board=2;threadid=2978;start=0#msg23226 date=1065482294]
This is a very neat MMC snap-in that I didn't know about until today:

Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc

Many UI tweaks, and more.
[/quote]
<correction>Note that it's [u]group[/u] policy and not [u]global[/u] policy.</correction>

Group Policy is one of the major benefits of domains and Active Directory, since you can setup a policy that is automatically distributed and applied to all member computers or member domain controllers.

You can use this to, for instance, ensure all computers on the domain don't allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts. Simply put, you only need to configure something in one place (e.g. the domain controller) and it will automatically be applied to all member computers. Very handy for large networks.
October 6, 2003, 11:46 PM
j0k3r
Skywing, do you spend your freetime reading a dictionary definition book? You seem to know EVERYTHING lol.
October 6, 2003, 11:56 PM
Yoni
I don't know anything about active directories or domains yet. My network consists of 2-3 computers (one of which is insecure by definition, but cannot accept network connections so I don't mind).

Maybe I'll study them and set one up sometime in the future for educational purposes...

gpedit.msc has cool things regardless of whether they're used for domain purposes or not, though. :)
October 7, 2003, 12:22 AM
Grok
The MSDN Subscription has a CD in it titled "Enterprise Group Policy Manager (Beta)" or something like that. I saw it today while browsing through the CDs. If someone's really interested, I'll get the help file from it and you can decide if it's something you want.
October 7, 2003, 3:02 AM
Arta
Speaking of gpedit:

I need to set up automatic updates client using my SUS server on a WinXP Home machine. It has no group policy editor (Home edition == poo), so I can't set the autoupdate server location key. Anyone know of a workaround?
October 7, 2003, 10:15 AM
Adron
Presumably it's just a registry key you have to know where it is? You could also try adding the group policy snap-in with mmc on the machine, if that works.
October 7, 2003, 4:37 PM
Arta
Tried that, it doesn't. I googled for the registry key with no success.
October 7, 2003, 11:08 PM
Yoni
[quick hack] Add a hosts file entry <your SUS IP> windowsupdate.microsoft.com ?

Better solution: XP Home sux... Use something better? 2000 is good, XP Pro is tolerable.
October 7, 2003, 11:29 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Yoni link=board=2;threadid=2978;start=0#msg23342 date=1065569392]
[quick hack] Add a hosts file entry <your SUS IP> windowsupdate.microsoft.com ?

Better solution: XP Home sux... Use something better? 2000 is good, XP Pro is tolerable.
[/quote]
I don't think the SUS interface is the same as regular Windows Update.
October 7, 2003, 11:31 PM
Arta
Yeah, it's not. This isn't my machine to reinstalling just for SUS would probably not be welcomed - and it's overkill anyway, really. I'll use regmon or something to see which key gpedit changes.
October 8, 2003, 1:33 PM

Search