Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Remote Shut Down

AuthorMessageTime
j0k3r
I have a computer in the next room which my sisters use, and frankly it gets REALLY annoying sometimes and I'd like to shut them up without them knowing. I would like to know how to shut down their computer from mine. I can see their hard drive from my computer, and all I gotta do is change one setting to allow me to run stuff on that computer from here.

Do I have to make a program to do this (if I do, when I run it from here will it run on that computer or this one), or can I do it easier somehow (sending a packet).
October 5, 2003, 3:45 AM
drivehappy
Either write a program, or try "shutdown -i" (some more optional parameters but the -i gives the ui) in the command prompt. I haven't tested this method though.
October 5, 2003, 3:50 AM
Thing
http://users.pandora.be/jbosman/applications.html

Scroll down until you find Poweroff. I use it on many machines.
October 5, 2003, 3:52 AM
j0k3r
Great stuff Thing, I just can't get it working.

I keep getting connectin refused.

SCORE! IT WORKS!

[me=j0k3r]gives Thing a big kiss[/me]
October 5, 2003, 4:25 AM
iago
It's too late now, but all you would have to do is find a way to run c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe on their computer.

What's more fun, however, is to use VNC to connect to their computer, take control of their mouse and keyboard and let the hilarity ensue :)
October 5, 2003, 12:57 PM
Adron
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=2946;start=0#msg23051 date=1065358672]
It's too late now, but all you would have to do is find a way to run c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe on their computer.

What's more fun, however, is to use VNC to connect to their computer, take control of their mouse and keyboard and let the hilarity ensue :)
[/quote]

Actually, the shutdown.exe that ships with the resource kit, or psshutdown can both schedule remote reboots.
October 5, 2003, 2:40 PM
Thing
I used to use psshutdown but sometimes had difficulty connecting to remote computers. That's why I switched to Poweroff.
October 5, 2003, 2:48 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=2946;start=0#msg23051 date=1065358672]

[/quote]

VNC sounded fun, but I couldn't get it working :(
October 5, 2003, 6:09 PM

Search