Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Internet Broadcasting

AuthorMessageTime
Thing
I am working on a deal with a small record company. One of the things they would like to accomplish is broadcasting their artists music via the Internet. They don't want the listener to be restricted to one type of player (RealPlayer, Winamp, etc.)

Does anybody have any experience with server side software that can accomplish this? If so, can you point me in the right direction. I would prefer a Linux solution but I will succomb to Winders if I have to.
October 4, 2003, 2:01 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=2940;start=0#msg22965 date=1065276066]
I am working on a deal with a small record company. One of the things they would like to accomplish is broadcasting their artists music via the Internet. They don't want the listener to be restricted to one type of player (RealPlayer, Winamp, etc.)

Does anybody have any experience with server side software that can accomplish this? If so, can you point me in the right direction. I would prefer a Linux solution but I will succomb to Winders if I have to.

[/quote]
I know that somebody (Grok?) set up something like that for Acid on the server (Windows) awhile ago. You might ask him or Acid how compatible it is (with a variety of players, and with being hosted on non-Win32).
October 4, 2003, 9:14 PM
St0rm.iD
ShoutCast is your best bet, I think. I'm pretty sure that Winamp as well as windows media player support it, and I'd be surprised if RealPlayer didn't.

www.shoutcast.com, basically you set up a server daemon and configure it, and then have winamp connect to it and play.
October 5, 2003, 12:13 AM
Thing
I looked at shoutcast and it looks good. I'm also looking at Helix.
October 5, 2003, 2:54 PM
Thing
I found SAM2 and have been testing it for two days now. It will encode different formats at different bit rates simultaneously to different streaming servers. You can really suck some bandwidth with it. :)

I am pleased with it so far.
October 11, 2003, 5:35 AM
Adron
But SAM2 is an encoder, and needs a separate software to do the actual streaming?
October 11, 2003, 2:05 PM
Thing
Actually it will do both at the same time, Adron:
Shoutcast
Windows Media

I have two encoders running on it right now. One of them will accept client connections using mms and the other is pushing to a shoutcast server I set up on .50. ;D

You can request songs and look at the artists that are currently in the playlist at this location. Any requests that meet the rotation guidlines that I have set, will be placed next in the queue.
Oh and don't give me crap about New Age music, I just broadcast it.
October 11, 2003, 5:04 PM
Adron
"There are currently 0 listeners tuned into this station!" - even though I'm listening!

And, it can't stream titles to wmp?
October 11, 2003, 11:53 PM
Thing
I'm only pulling stats from the Shoutcast relay. That's why you don't see yourself. I don't know why it won't stamp the titles in wmp. I'm working on that part. This is just a demo right now so I'm not too worried about it.

One other thing, the html is regenerated after every song so you will have to wait until the next song to see your connection in the total.
October 12, 2003, 3:28 AM
Newby
I knew of a really good broadcast .. I forgot it though. :(
October 12, 2003, 3:33 AM

Search