Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Excess of Grok | Miami 22, UWV 20

AuthorMessageTime
Grok
This is why I love college football. What a great ending. That WV Wilson kid touchdown run was one of the best this year.

But this reinforces for the billionth time what everyone knows and all coaches forget in the final 2:00 of every close game ever.

The 2:00 offense ALWAYS works.
The PREVENT defense never prevents.

WHY do they not use it on offense all the time, and why do they ever use prevent on defense?!! All knowing fans want to know.
October 3, 2003, 11:30 AM
DarkMinion
WVU had them beat, but I give Miami credit because of Winslow's outstanding catch. That is easily what sparked them to victory.
October 3, 2003, 7:47 PM
DrivE
The trouble with not using a type of prevent defense is that would make matters worse. A prevent defense is a conservative defense that is to allow no cheap plays and is supposed to not give up long plays. The trouble with running a 2-minute drill for a full game is it is very tiring. Anybody that has played football before can tell you that running a two minute drill is no simple matter. There is almost ZERO time in between plays to regain composure or check your breath. Also you have the problem of play calling in such a short time. These are just a few of the probelms on the offensive side of the ball during a two minute drill. Hopefully it is clear why this could not be run for a full four quarters.
October 3, 2003, 7:55 PM
Grok
On two-minute offense: see "UF: Fun-n-Gun", Houston: "Hurry-up", etc. And yes, I know the distinctions between those and a 2-min offense.

On prevent: West Virginia should have played the same defense they had played all game long, which was pressuring Brock Berlin out of the pocket and making him throw early or make bad decisions. When under the rush, Berlin doesn't have enough game experience to even find his #2 receiver.

Hanging back 15 yards to prevent the long play, when there is 2:00 left on the clock, is insane. In some years, Florida, FSU, Miami, and some other schools have used less than 0:58 per possession(average all year long) to score a touchdown. So two minutes is like all day for them. If it were 2:00 and the opponent were Auburn, then I can see it working.
October 4, 2003, 8:43 AM
DrivE
Ah the glory days of the University of Florida and the Fun-n-Gun offense. Steve Spurrier should be canonized for what he did for the Gator football program.

[Edit]Spelling GROK
October 4, 2003, 7:20 PM
Grok
[quote author=Hazard link=board=6;threadid=2933;start=0#msg22978 date=1065295212]
Ah the glory days of the University of Florida and the Fun-n-Gun offense. Steve Spurrier should be cannonized for what he did for the Gator football program.
[/quote]

Steve Spurrier blows goats.

P.S. If your play on "canonized" mispelling was intentional, then I agree.
October 4, 2003, 9:09 PM
DrivE
[quote author=Grok link=board=6;threadid=2933;start=0#msg22991 date=1065301748]
[/quote]

A typical ignorant Florida State graduate :P

Spurrier was a great coach regardless of any of his other characteristics.

Bowden takes it up the poop chute from little boys wearing cowboy hats though.

Go Gators~
October 4, 2003, 9:41 PM
Grok
[quote author=Hazard link=board=6;threadid=2933;start=0#msg22993 date=1065303684]
[quote author=Grok link=board=6;threadid=2933;start=0#msg22991 date=1065301748]
[/quote]

A typical ignorant Florida State graduate :P

Spurrier was a great coach regardless of any of his other characteristics.

Bowden takes it up the poop chute from little boys wearing cowboy hats though.

Go Gators~
[/quote]

Quite obviously you're desiring me to post Bowden vs Spurrier game results.

Spurrier was the very best he was ever going to be. That means -- never could beat Miami, and never could beat FSU in Tallahassee. The highest he could achieve was splitting with FSU at home and neutral fields, beating Tennessee consistently, and avoiding anyone difficult out of conference.
October 4, 2003, 11:06 PM

Search