Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | CPU 100% Usuage and overheating

AuthorMessageTime
Krush
My laptop seems to have a problem lately where programs that used to run fine now suck up 100% of the cpu time and end up overheating it and causing it to powerdown. Does anyone have any idea of what to do to fix this?
October 2, 2003, 6:19 AM
Alkoholik
Are your cooling fans running properly?
Not sure if that could cause a slow down, or just a complete shut down.
October 2, 2003, 3:49 PM
iago
On my laptop the bottom is a heatsink, so if it's not screwed on tight enough the heat won't dissipate right. It says the recommended torque in my manual.
October 2, 2003, 3:51 PM
Grok
[quote author=Krush[LM] link=board=2;threadid=2921;start=0#msg22799 date=1065075584]
My laptop seems to have a problem lately where programs that used to run fine now suck up 100% of the cpu time and end up overheating it and causing it to powerdown. Does anyone have any idea of what to do to fix this?
[/quote]

Always use your laptop on a hard flat surface, because in too many instances, manufacturers put the cooling vents underneath.

My first laptop overheated because I travelled with it, and would sit in the hotel and program on the bed while watching TV. That blocked the vents and started the meltdown.
October 2, 2003, 5:15 PM
Adron
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=2921;start=0#msg22823 date=1065114919]
Always use your laptop on a hard flat surface, because in too many instances, manufacturers put the cooling vents underneath.

My first laptop overheated because I travelled with it, and would sit in the hotel and program on the bed while watching TV. That blocked the vents and started the meltdown.
[/quote]

You can also put it in your lap like your supposed to with a lap top and you'll notice when it starts getting too hot...
October 2, 2003, 8:20 PM
iago
I keep mine on a thick book when I'm at home, allowing air to circulate underneath.

And at school I keep it on a desk.
October 3, 2003, 12:33 AM
K
You may not want to keep it on your lap all the time ;)
October 3, 2003, 1:08 AM
Adron
LOL

I wonder if he wasn't really surfing to all those "forbidden" sites....
October 3, 2003, 1:21 AM
Raven
[quote author=Krush[LM] link=board=2;threadid=2921;start=0#msg22799 date=1065075584]
[/quote]

If everyone else's advice doesn't explain the problem, I would certainly recommend you check your computer for any malicious programs or scripts that may have somehow found their way onto your computer. I believe there is atleast one virus out there that was designed to purposely eat resources and try to overwork your CPU with the sole purpose of trying to cause physical damage to it. Most likely not the case, but I don't think that it should be ruled out as well.
October 3, 2003, 4:04 AM
Krush
I think it's a Fan issue cause I contacted sony and it appears that the fan is no longer able to kick on it's higher setting.
October 3, 2003, 8:31 AM

Search