Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Excess of Grok | This Week in Brief

AuthorMessageTime
DrivE
I was fooled. Originally I sided with some of the pros and thought that the Big 10 would have arguably the best games this week. Turned out I was off.

My interest turned early to the see Michigan State oust Iowa 20 - 9. This year it seems that you can never count out the double digit underdogs.

The Florida vs. Kentucky game was interesting... nothing spectacular. The Gators mounted an impressive comeback in the last 5 minutes to beat the Wildcats for the 17th straight season.

I was upset to see that Arkansas managed to come back in the second half. The razorbacks rallied back from a 31-17 defecit early in the 4th quarter to score 2 unanswered touchdowns to tie the game and send it to overtime where they kicked a prayer of a field goal and nailed it to edge past the Crimson Tide 34-31. Bama just can't seem to catch a break...

UT just managed to hold on against SC 23-20. I'm not liking how UT is playing. They are a high ranked team but they are struggling. They are beating teams that aren't that incredible by a very narrow margin. In my opinion they won't be able to hold on much longer.

The no brainers were of course Florida State crushing Duke 56-7 and Texas' dominance over a weak Tulane team 63-18.

I hope for better football next week. Thats what I think we all love about the NCAA so much over the pros. Every week its something new. Every week could be the end of your season. It's always a brutal battle to be #1.
September 28, 2003, 1:10 PM
Grok
So you completely missed USC vs UT single OT game, and SouthernCal @ Cal triple OT dramatics? Those were the two best finishes. In the first, UT pulled it out with a TD after the Gamecocks field goal in the first OT. In the latter game, Cal won it with a field goal at the bottom of the third OT, after the Trojans failed to put anything on the board. I have doubts you watched the Tennessee win, or you'd have less to complain about.

Great stuff.
September 28, 2003, 3:16 PM
DrivE
I watched only about the first half of the UT vs USC game. I didn't view it as impressive football. Just my opinion you know?
September 28, 2003, 4:08 PM
Grok
[quote author=Hazard link=board=6;threadid=2873;start=0#msg22456 date=1064765288]
I watched only about the first half of the UT vs USC game. I didn't view it as impressive football. Just my opinion you know?
[/quote]

The OT showed why the pass interference rule in CFB needs to be tweaked. As a USC receiver was wide open and about to catch the game winning TD, the UT defender had the smarts to simply mug the receiver to prevent the catch. This resulted in a mere penalty and automatic first down. USC settles for a FG.

UT then takes the ball and throws their own TD pass, and this time the defender tried to cover the play instead of commit a blatant foul. Touchdown UT, and they win.

Still, it was fun to see USC almost win in Knoxville.
September 28, 2003, 4:35 PM
DrivE
I am going to watch the replay on Sunshine Network later. The pass interferance rule does need to be modified and this must be just another example. UT's narrow win is definetly the basis for my saying that they wont be able to play like that when their schedule gets tougher... they aren't playing good football.
September 28, 2003, 5:02 PM

Search