Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Writing a C++ Split function

AuthorMessageTime
Sidoh
Does anyone know (or have) a function writen (or in their posetion) in C++ similar to the visual basic Split() function?
September 26, 2003, 8:12 PM
Zakath
What does Split do?
September 26, 2003, 8:26 PM
iago
No, it would be pretty difficult to write something like that in c++. I would recommend looking into the "foreach" command in perl, or this clever use of strtok:
[code]   for(char *p = strtok(Packet, " "); p; p = strtok(NULL, " "))
{
// ...
}
[/code]

In that, it will run that loop once for each token in the string, much like perl's foreach.

Warning: This will modify the original string.
September 26, 2003, 8:33 PM
K
I wrote this just for you. ;D Shouldn't be hard to modify it to take multiple delimeters -- look at basic_string::find_first_of() if you want to do that.
[code]
#include <string>
#include <vector>

std::vector<std::string> SplitStr(const std::string& text, const std::string& delimeter)
{
   size_t pos = 0;
   size_t oldpos = 0;
   size_t delimlen = delimeter.length();

std::vector<std::string> result;
   while(pos != std::string::npos)
   {
      pos = text.find(delimeter, oldpos);
      result.push_back(text.substr(oldpos, pos - oldpos));
      oldpos = pos + delimlen;
   }

return result;

}[/code]

Edit: come on iago, character arrays and strok in c++? ::)
September 26, 2003, 8:39 PM
iago
Mine is muchm much more efficient, which tends to be a major factor in my code! :-P
September 26, 2003, 8:41 PM
K
Or if you only want to split on whitespace (end of line, space, tab, etc) you could use a stringstream:
[code]
#include <string>
#include <sstream>
#include <vector>

vector<string> SplitStr(const string& text)
{
   stringstream stream;
   vector<string> result;
   string tmp;

stream << text;
   while(!stream.eof())
   {
      stream >> tmp;
      result.push_back(tmp);
   }
   return result;

}
[/code]
September 26, 2003, 8:52 PM
iago
That's even more eew!
September 26, 2003, 10:05 PM
Sidoh
lol iago

stupid c++, can't make a split() function, lazy bastards... i actually like C++ better then vb, "funner" to code..

hey iago, do you use strtok to split bnet returns? or do you have your own writen function?
September 26, 2003, 11:26 PM
iago
To split bnet returns? What are you talking about?

I use a buffer class I wrote to process b.net packets, if that's what you mean. It can be found at http://iago.valhallalegends.com .
September 26, 2003, 11:45 PM
Maddox
[quote author=Sidoh link=board=17;threadid=2843;start=0#msg22295 date=1064618810]
lol iago

stupid c++, can't make a split() function, lazy bastards... i actually like C++ better then vb, "funner" to code..

hey iago, do you use strtok to split bnet returns? or do you have your own writen function?
[/quote]

I think you are refering to extracting strings from packet data, but why would you use strtok() to do that? The strings are null terminated.
September 27, 2003, 3:04 AM
Arta
You're still thinking in VB. Stop it. Think in C++. Don't go "This is how I'd do X in VB, what's the equivalent in C++?". Do something more like: "What facility does C++ provide that will allow me to do X?". Your code will end up being much more efficient if you change your mindset a bit.
September 27, 2003, 3:07 AM

Search