Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Smoking

AuthorMessageTime
iago
I'm just curious :)
March 5, 2003, 10:48 PM
Atom
I dont see why people would ever want to. If you like the effect so much then you could pop a caffeine pill. Smoking just speeds up the heart, giving you the "smokers high".
March 6, 2003, 10:28 AM
iago
Yes, I totally agree, but what the heck?

And eew@Arta modifying it :P
March 6, 2003, 11:43 AM
Yoni
[quote]I dont see why people would ever want to.[/quote]
A dude (who has never smoked but had/has friends who were/are heavy smokers) explained it to me once: Supposedly, they smoke for the "pose" of it.
When he was with them he would embarrass them by "smoking" cigarettes that weren't lit, his car keys, and such similar items. Same pose, no effect on health.

Maybe the appeal is the fire. There's something very scary and exciting about fire. People always run to see a fire. They're proud that they have a fireplace. This is what smoking is really all about. The power of "I've got some fire right here in my hand. Smoke and fire is literally coming right out of my mouth." And it's very intimidating to the nonsmoker because it's like talking to someone who's going, "My head could open up, lava could explode out, pour right down my face, doesn't bother me a bit."

-Jerry Seinfeld
March 6, 2003, 3:41 PM
iago
Your two statements are in total conflict with eachother!  On one hand, it's the pose and has nothing to do with the fire, on the other it's the fire thing.

How does "smoking" his carkeys embarass his friends, btw?
March 6, 2003, 4:21 PM
Yoni
The fire contributes to the pose. What I meant is they don't smoke for whatever real pleasure they gain from it.

Would you want to be seen in public with some nut that smokes his car keys?
March 6, 2003, 4:45 PM
iago
[quote]Would you want to be seen in public with some nut that smokes his car keys?[/quote]

Well, if he actually managed to smoke them, then yes :D
March 7, 2003, 1:11 AM
MrRaza
Smoking weed with other people is fun, you'll see if you try it.
March 7, 2003, 12:47 PM
iago
Hanging out with people and NOT smoking weed is also fun, I've noticed.
March 7, 2003, 2:25 PM
MrRaza
That's true also.  :)
March 7, 2003, 3:17 PM
Eibro
Nothing beats hanging out with your friends and sucking on a fag.
March 7, 2003, 3:35 PM
warz
Robbing banks, drive by shootings and raping is fun also.
March 7, 2003, 9:20 PM
UserLoser
You're basically throwing away your life if you smoke :-/
March 7, 2003, 11:25 PM
iago
[quote]You're basically throwing away your life if you smoke :-/[/quote]

I wouldn't go QUITE that far, but you're throwing away a good chunk of it.

In retrospect, I should have added an option, "I'm high right now".  Ah well, next time :)
March 8, 2003, 4:14 AM
Yoni
Oh man... I'm so high right now, I have no idea what's going on...

-Towelie, South Park
March 8, 2003, 9:30 AM
Eibro
[quote]You're basically throwing away your life if you smoke :-/[/quote] I don't quite see how this is true. Some people smoke a pack per day and live a relatively long life; others die of some smoking-related disease young.
You're taking a risk, a risk like any other risk... you're not 'throwing your life away'
March 8, 2003, 12:58 PM
UserLoser
It will in the long run, it just takes more out of your lungs every smoke...
March 8, 2003, 5:53 PM
iago
The point is, it's stupid! :)

I'm actually impressed at the number of "no"'s I got.  I thought a lot higher percentage of people smoked weed at least occasionally, but I guess that's what happens when you work at a yucky bar for too long.
March 9, 2003, 5:21 AM
dRAgoN
never argue with a dude that is high, they go on and on with the sentance "You don't understand man yeaaaaaaaa<< extend on the aaaaa>>" i cant tolerate cirtain people when their high like that.

and you forgot "do you drink?" on the poll lol.
March 9, 2003, 5:42 AM
iago
I was planning on a "What do you drink" poll sometime this week, just haven't gotten around to it yet :P
March 9, 2003, 3:21 PM
Arta
Sigh.

All things in moderation. Smoking one cigarette a year isn't going to shorten your lifespan at all. Smoking 1 an hour certainly will.

Weed is sometimes fun, I think for some people it can be bad if it reduces their entire social life to getting stoned, but then again, if they're happy with that, what business is it of mine?
March 9, 2003, 3:33 PM
MrRaza
I used to be like that, i almost was smoking 2 or 3 grams of weed a day, then i had to kick myself in the butt and start quiting. It's not easy btw, its all over my highschool. And I don't think there a quiting Marijuana patch.
March 9, 2003, 3:48 PM
iago
[quote] link=board=general;num=1046918890;start=15#20 date=03/09/03 at 13:33:39]Sigh.

All things in moderation. Smoking one cigarette a year isn't going to shorten your lifespan at all. Smoking 1 an hour certainly will.

Weed is sometimes fun, I think for some people it can be bad if it reduces their entire social life to getting stoned, but then again, if they're happy with that, what business is it of mine?[/quote]

There are a lot of people who's entire social life IS getting stoned.  They may think they're happy with that, but after awhile I'm reasonably sure that it catches up to them and they suffer for it.  Short term gain, long term pain, so to speak.

And a lot of people (I'm assuming) can't smoke once a year, they can TRY but they always end up doing more.  I speak from observation rather than experience, though.
March 9, 2003, 7:56 PM
Arta
Well, that's addiction, it's different. One cigarette a year won't make you addicted to cigarettes, but if you already are, then once a year is probably unworkable. I don't really see the appeal, either, though.

As for weed, I'm not sure suffer would be an accurate word. I think it comes down to state of mind - If you need weed in order to have a good time, or in order to be sociable, or in order to feel happy, then yes, I'd agree. If you're as happy without it as you are with it, then I'm not sure your statement applies.
March 9, 2003, 11:48 PM
iago
[quote] link=board=general;num=1046918890;start=15#23 date=03/09/03 at 21:48:32]As for weed, I'm not sure suffer would be an accurate word. I think it comes down to state of mind - If you need weed in order to have a good time, or in order to be sociable, or in order to feel happy, then yes, I'd agree. If you're as happy without it as you are with it, then I'm not sure your statement applies.[/quote]

I was actually referring to people who do it daily.  

I know a lot of people (let's take the DJ at my work), he spends tons of money on weed, and smokes it every day (that he works) outside in the cold, usually alone.  He's the type of person that I would consider to be in that rank.
March 10, 2003, 2:28 AM

Search