Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | I Can decide which book to buy :(

AuthorMessageTime
MrRaza
I need a VB book for my programming class but have no idea which one's are going to be useful, and I've thought about buying this book "The C Programming Language" but havent decided yet.
February 23, 2003, 12:45 PM
warz
[quote]"I Can decide which book to buy :("
I need a VB book for my programming class but have no idea which one's are going to be useful, and I've thought about buying this book "The C Programming Language" but havent decided yet.
[/quote]

That's nice.
February 23, 2003, 2:21 PM
Yoni
For a C/C++ book, "The C Programming Language" by Ritchie and "The C++ Programming Language" by Stroustrup are great, however they might not be as newbie friendly as other books.

For a VB book, depends how far you're going into VB. If all you're going to do is Label1.Caption="l33t hax0r bot" or stuff like that you probably could do without a book. If you're going into the more advanced aspects of VB then you might need one, but don't ask me which. :)
February 23, 2003, 2:31 PM
MrRaza
I don't plan on making any bots. Any recommendations on a VB book to buy would be nice.
February 23, 2003, 2:36 PM
dRAgoN
Microsoft Press's Visual Basic reference library its $80 US $120 Canadian (3 Books).
they also have a programer's guide which is $40 US and $60 Canadian (1 Book).

for C++ Yoni's suggestion is best.
February 24, 2003, 12:09 AM
JoeCool
Get the book called "Visual Basics for Dummmies" it suits you :o
July 9, 2003, 3:27 AM
St0rm.iD
shut up
July 11, 2003, 2:34 PM
Crypticflare
Sams released a series of intermediate and advanced Visual Basic books, I have one of the intermediate series its a pretty good tool

- 10101010101 to JoeCool for pluralizing Basic
July 11, 2003, 4:14 PM
CupHead
As far as most books go, there are entire online books (PDFs) or sample chapters at sites that will give you an idea of the kind of writing and content a book has. It may be to your benefit to look into these before you make an actual purchase so that you can form your own opinion rather than having it handed to you by the people here.
July 13, 2003, 6:26 AM
j0k3r
I had a VB book when I was taking lessons... It was horrible, like 1/5 of the book was programming and the rest showed you how to make the background a different colour using the options panel thing on the right side. I can't remember what the book is called but before you buy a book, spend half an hour reading/fipping through it in the store, and make sure it has actual content.
July 13, 2003, 11:50 AM
laurion
As a matter of fact, I'm reading one now, called

Sams Teach Yourself Beginning Programming (Second Edition) In 24 hours.

It talks about vb, java, html, liberty basic, c, c++, but I'm mainly focusing on the C\C++ part..It also comes with a cd full of examples of coding. I rented it from my library, its $29.99 USD, $44.95 Canadian dollars, and *(pound sign?)21.99 Net UK (inc of VAT). HTH
July 14, 2003, 1:30 PM
Grok
You have to rent books from the library?!
July 14, 2003, 4:33 PM
laurion
[quote author=Grok link=board=5;threadid=277;start=0#msg14790 date=1058200383]
You have to rent books from the library?!
[/quote]
?!
which would you rather do, spend $30 on a book or keep it for 3 weeks for free from your city library? -.-
July 14, 2003, 4:41 PM
Grok
You said rent. That implies paying a fee for using a book from the public library. Our libraries in the United States are free to borrow books from if you have a library card.
July 14, 2003, 10:00 PM

Search