Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Re:Scientology - condemning things you don't know

AuthorMessageTime
iago
[quote author=Hitmen link=board=4;threadid=2752;start=0#msg21747 date=1064027472]
1. Orthodox Judaism (100%)
2. Orthodox Quaker (96%)
3. Sikhism (93%)
4. Islam (90%)
5. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (88%)

5 is the closest, I'm Roman Catholic in belifes which came up as number 7:
7. Roman Catholic (84%)

And this is an insult!
20. Scientology (49%)
Scientology is the one and only religion I belive is truly stupid.

[/quote]

What, exactly, do you know about scientology? I find a lot of people who condemn things without actually knowing things about them :-P
September 20, 2003, 3:37 AM
Hitmen
The real reason I've always thought scientology is "stupid" is mainly because of all the bad things I've heard about them. My dad had always read me all these stories about them doing stupid things. I remember lots of stuff about plotted murders or something, nothing really specific.

Mostly crap like this that my dad seemed to think I needed to know. Thinking about it, yes I am jumping to conclussions, but I don't like thinking! :P

Since then I've always seen scientology as an eliteist religion.

A few seconds on "Scientology.org" and I found somewhat of an example.
"The goal of Scientology is to reverse this diminishing awareness and, in that sense, wake the individual up. As one becomes more and more alert, his abilities increase and he is capable of greater understanding and thus better able to handle his life"
Kind of like saying:"If you're a scientologist you're better at life"

Other religions don't seem to specificly advertising making you you better at life.
Lets have some fun with the statement though anyways.

Converse: "If you're better at life you're a scientologist"
Inverse: "If you're not a scientologist, you're not better at life"
Contrapositive:"If you're not better at life, you're not a scientologist"

Well, you can make it sound worse that it really does.
Yea... whatever :P
September 20, 2003, 4:52 AM
Adron
[quote author=Hitmen link=board=2;threadid=2768;start=0#msg21758 date=1064033549]
Other religions don't seem to specificly advertising making you you better at life.
[/quote]

The goal of most "religions" that don't directly involve praying/sacrificing to or worshipping a god is actually to make you better at life. For example, to bring you into better harmony with yourself/the world (meditating).
September 20, 2003, 10:38 AM
Naem
Scientology sucks because it censored Google.

Edit: Hmm.. Google used to censor xenu.net. Oddly enough, when you search for "xenu" you still get a result for xenu.net, but you also get a "In response to a complaint we received under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaint for these removed results" message.
September 20, 2003, 2:03 PM

Search