Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | file sharing services

AuthorMessageTime
warz
If somebody was looking to develop their own file sharing application, but wanted it to use some service that already exists, which services are available to use freely? What does kazaa/winmx/bearshear use? What did Napster use? Is what Napster used still out there, available to use?

Any information is appriciated.
February 28, 2003, 6:01 PM
Yoni
The Kazaa protocol is closed.
Attempts to duplicate it (i.e. to try developing a Linux client) were discouraged by the Kazaa developers.
Don't know about the other things you mentioned.

You can try using the eDonkey network.
It's not exactly an open protocol, but an open-source client (eMule) exists for it. You can learn from it and add to it as well.
www.emule-project.net
February 28, 2003, 6:05 PM
warz
I've heard of something called open nap. Apparantly it's an open source napster protocol, that's still in use. Anyone heard of it?
February 28, 2003, 6:45 PM
St0rm.iD
No one uses opennap. I suggest you use Gnutella.
February 28, 2003, 7:00 PM
iago
dcplusplus.sourceforge.net <-- open source file sharing client for Direct Connect network
February 28, 2003, 10:37 PM
pileofcrap
along with many of the VB projects im doing, im writing a file sharing program.

basicly.... everyone is there own server... people tell others there IP or have there ip redirected and tell them that.

THEN a user connects to it and searches ther efiles.... for whatever they want.... then they can have a list of other users and it search there files for the same file to maximize upload. im also trying to write some sort of whatever that will show other users on my website and add them somehow..... i know it sounds complicated or doesnt make any sense, but in my head it does.......
February 28, 2003, 11:55 PM
warz
What a fucking genious concept...
March 1, 2003, 1:30 AM
Spht
[quote]im also trying to write some sort of whatever that will show other users on my website and add them somehow.....[/quote]

Uh-huh.
March 1, 2003, 2:18 AM
pileofcrap
yeah yeah, it wont be an easy process, but it can and will be done my friends. =D
March 1, 2003, 1:24 PM
Heres a very popular c++ client (Direct Conect ++)
source
http://www.dcplusplus.com
March 2, 2003, 12:52 AM

Search