Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Totally annoying IE behavior

AuthorMessageTime
Grok
Even after I removed "search.msn.com" from everywhere in the registry, and set all search strings to google's advanced search page, Internet Explorer STILL would go to SEARCH.MSN.COM whenever you typed a bad URL.

This kept happening even if you set the Do404Search binary value to 00 00 00 0 in the registry. It seemed nothing could stop Microsoft from serving themselves up as your default search engine.

Even if you try to customize the search engine using their wizard, it does NOT offer google.com as a valid search engine, nor does it let you add it to the list of available choices.

What, google not a search engine???

Finally found what to remove ... there's a key you can change that fixes this.
find "Microsoft Url Search Hook" and change the InProcServer32 DLL away from %SystemRoot%\system32\shdocvw.dll to anything else and it will stop going to SEARCH.MSN.COM.

HTH, and fuck you very much Microsoft.
September 12, 2003, 7:31 PM
Hitmen
So... you went through all of that just because it wouldn't let you set the default page as google? Seems like a waste of time. I can't remember the last time I typed an adress in the bar wrong and would rather go to google than correcting the adress.
September 12, 2003, 7:43 PM
DrivE
Actually I sympathize with Grok. God forbid that Microsoft gives up one of their many ways of self-advertisment.
September 12, 2003, 8:18 PM
mynameistmp
grok, i heard rumours MS can't buy google out, so they're pulling monopoly status as a trump card. like that 'netscape vs explorer' deal... integrated webbrowsing, why purchase ? integrated searching, why type www.google.com ? =/

http://www.loftesness.com/radio/2003/06/18.html
September 12, 2003, 10:39 PM
Hitmen
[quote]integrated searching, why type www.google.com [/quote] Because search.msn.com sucks? :-\
September 12, 2003, 10:42 PM
hismajesty
yeah it does. In fact I used to not matter it that much untill recently It is like a white page with blue links, it used to have a pretty little layout that I still didn't use but didn't mind. But I do hate how it does that, I think Ill try Groks method for removal.
September 12, 2003, 10:56 PM
Eibro
I've always preferred an error page with the erroneous URL in the address bar. Searching for the mistyped URL, and taking me to a page which erases what I incorrectly typed is not only annoying, but it takes time. Time to load the page, and time to cut and paste the incorrect URL to the address bar and correct it.

I thought it was kind of funny that I still ended up at search.msn.com even after doing what Grok said earlier...
September 12, 2003, 11:16 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=Eibro link=board=2;threadid=2673;start=0#msg21031 date=1063408565]
I've always preferred an error page with the erroneous URL in the address bar. Searching for the mistyped URL, and taking me to a page which erases what I incorrectly typed is not only annoying, but it takes time. Time to load the page, and time to cut and paste the incorrect URL to the address bar and correct it.

I thought it was kind of funny that I still ended up at search.msn.com even after doing what Grok said earlier...
[/quote]

Just more proof of how Microsoft screws us all.
September 12, 2003, 11:36 PM
Hitmen
I actually just tried typing a few misspelled URL's on purpose and I didn't get the msn search brought up, just the "cannot find server" error page. And I haven't really messed with any settings.
September 13, 2003, 1:00 AM
Thing
Do what I did and install the Google toolbar (it blocks popups also):
http://toolbar.google.com/

Then change the setting like this:
[img]http://www.vpnsys.com/images/google.jpg[/img]

I am LMAO@IE

<edit>Don't install the "I'm tracking every move you make on the Internet" advanced features.
September 13, 2003, 2:14 AM
SNiFFeR
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=2673;start=0#msg21056 date=1063419290]
Don't install the "I'm tracking every move you make on the Internet" advanced features.
[/quote]

Why dont they just call it Stalking mode.
September 13, 2003, 2:34 AM
Yoni
I use Avant Browser.

[list][*]Uses the IE control, so internally it's IE with a different front-end.
[*]Search bar that searches in Google.
[*]Enter stuff in address bar and press Ctrl-Q for "Quick Search" (in Google).
[*]Lots of cool things that make me not want to ever use plain IE again.[/list]

Btw, before this, I used IE with the Google toolbar.
September 13, 2003, 3:10 PM
drivehappy
Anyone know how to take off the Links folder in the IE favorites menu? The damned thing keeps coming back.

If you wanted, you could just make your own browser that uses the IE control in VB6.
September 13, 2003, 8:44 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=drivehappy link=board=2;threadid=2673;start=0#msg21143 date=1063485898]
Anyone know how to take off the Links folder in the IE favorites menu? The damned thing keeps coming back.
[/quote]

I have the same problem.
September 13, 2003, 8:49 PM
Hitmen
Hmmm thanks yoni, new default browser :P
September 13, 2003, 9:16 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=Hitmen link=board=2;threadid=2673;start=0#msg21151 date=1063487797]
Hmmm thanks yoni, new default browser :P
[/quote]

Likewise.
September 13, 2003, 9:25 PM
Camel
I've never liked Avant because it is too bulky. The majority of what I do with my browser is test PHP code anyways, so it doesn't really matter to me. Google toolbar essentially blocks all popups (not *technicly* as well as Avant/Mozilla can, but I've not seen once since I started using it).
September 14, 2003, 9:51 PM

Search