Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | BNLS & Java

AuthorMessageTime
peofeoknight
Just wondering (I am fluent in vb by the way) if I wanted to design bot with java is it possible to work with bnls? It said to use csb you can use other technologies besides vb but you seem to only want users to use vb.
September 8, 2003, 11:52 PM
Soul Taker
BNLS is just a server...
CSB is not really related to BNLS.
September 9, 2003, 12:27 AM
Yoni
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=17;threadid=2631;start=0#msg20647 date=1063065174]
It said to use csb you can use other technologies besides vb but you seem to only want users to use vb.
[/quote]
Quite the contrary. Everybody seems to want to use VB, which sux. A Java client would be a welcome and refreshing change. :)
September 9, 2003, 12:49 AM
peofeoknight
Well I know vb but I just would not be able to connect a bot to battle net with bnls then to a remote data base (on my server) if I made my own type of webbot that could keep track of clan member stats. I guess its possible in vb, I just think it would be easier to do in java since i am not going for a increadable interface since I would probably be the only one using it.
September 9, 2003, 1:15 AM
Camel
[quote author=Soul Taker link=board=17;threadid=2631;start=0#msg20655 date=1063067256]BNLS is just a server...[/quote]
BNLS is much more than just a server, it is a way of life and a passion.
September 9, 2003, 1:15 AM
peofeoknight
The one thing I dont get is what is the text box at the bottom called? I mean how can... well never mind Ill have to dysect someone elses code to figure out all of that stuff.
September 9, 2003, 4:02 AM
Myndfyr
I don't see why you couldn't use Java to connect to BNLS provided you could set up the socket connections correctly.
September 10, 2003, 5:30 AM
St0rm.iD
import java.nio.ByteBuffer;
September 11, 2003, 1:42 AM
Nova1313
yeah it can be done from java. And you can have a great interface in java. I got an almost duplicate of my bots interface when i ported it to java. I even got icons in a multi column list box too (that was the hard part). so it can be done. and most likly easier in vb. It dpdpends which you are more fluent in.
September 11, 2003, 3:34 AM
peofeoknight
Well I am still a novice in java but I am learning, Maybe I can make two parts and use a vb bot to update a local data base then have the java doing my server stuff. See if I do this I am going to integrate it with my site so I can log when members join to track activity, I would also be tracking records and rank (I would have them put rank in the location box or something). It would make things more organized and conveiniant.
September 13, 2003, 2:30 PM
Camel
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=17;threadid=2631;start=0#msg21109 date=1063463451]Well I am still a novice in java but I am learning, Maybe I can make two parts and use a vb bot to update a local data base then have the java doing my server stuff. See if I do this I am going to integrate it with my site so I can log when members join to track activity, I would also be tracking records and rank (I would have them put rank in the location box or something). It would make things more organized and conveiniant.[/quote]
Or in other words, you want to rip off this and this, right?
Well, if you want to do that, the way I did it anyways, you will need to:
[list][*] Have a working copy of MS Access.
[*] Know some SQL.
[*] Have a www server either running on the same computer as the bot or having access to the database file (although the former is more effective and easier to manage).[/list]
Next, you will need to figgure out how to use ODBC; this will allow PHP to read and modify data from tables/queries.
Hint: [img]http://camel.ik0ns.com:84/images/odbchint.jpg[/img]

You will also need to be able to connect to your database from your bot. If you are using VB, you can simply use a DataEnvironment:
[code]Private Sub DataEnvironment_Initialize()
Database.ConnectionString = _
"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
"Data Source=" & App.Path & "\bnubot.mdb;" & _
"Persist Security Info=False"
Database.Open
End Sub[/code]
Otherwise, you may have to figgure out how to connect via ODBC in your own language (search google).

Once you have all your tables created and the bot is modifying them on an as-need basis, you will need to write the PHP scripts so that people can see the information. If you are stuck, you can look here.

HTH, Camel.
September 13, 2003, 6:45 PM
peofeoknight
You are hosting that page off of your computer. That isnt what I am going for. I want this to update an sql server data base on my server not my regular computer. By the way this is my hosts server not mine so I cannot run the bot off of the server. Well anyways I can connect to sql server remotly no prob, I have a password a port all that good stuff. I just need to write an app to update the stuff which is why I said java because java is wonderful for internet applications. I dont use php by the way. I use ASP.NET
September 13, 2003, 9:03 PM
peofeoknight
Also the way you have it setup is not the way I want it. I want Something that when a user joins will get the members id from the data base then it will update the current record and rank, this will be inserted into the data base then it will log the time this took place. It will not add new members to the data base (thought if I setup a trigger to do that it might be nice but I doubt i would) this is only updating the things I mentioned above. Because I am so picky as to what I want I will need to just do it myself because I no nothing out there is going to be exactly what I want. Right now I am just toying with this idea too.
September 13, 2003, 9:07 PM

Search