Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Wither Be WMD?

AuthorMessageTime
Grok
The American President is doing a live speech. Lots of talk about IRAQ, lots of talk about terrorism.

Nothing said about weapons of mass destruction. Nothing said about how 25 million Americans are going to get a job. Nothing about our tumbling economy.

If you don't find any weapons of mass destruction, admit you were wrong.

I somehow doubt we'll hear either.
September 8, 2003, 12:43 AM
mavrick_kr
Obviously it was a bluff, but perhaps it was all about oil. My theory anyways.
September 8, 2003, 1:37 AM
Adron
Bacon. Canadian.
September 8, 2003, 3:32 AM
iago
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=2621;start=0#msg20572 date=1062991940]
Bacon. Canadian.
[/quote]

lol, the people of the US had to be united against a common enemy somehow, so Iraq was the natural choice :)

Also, on topic, I like how Bush's eyebrows both go upwards at the middle, making him look like he cares so much about everything.
September 8, 2003, 6:11 AM
iago
I'm watching it now, and it sounds to me a lot like on Star Trek DS9 when the Cardassians occupied Bajor, and the Bajorans could only do strategic terrorist attacks against the Cardassians because the Cardassians were so much more powerful than the Bajorans. I wonder if the Iraqis feel the same way, that they have been unjustly occupied and this is all they can do to fight back...
September 8, 2003, 6:25 AM
Soul Taker
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=2621;start=0#msg20583 date=1063002318]
I'm watching it now, and it sounds to me a lot like on Star Trek DS9 when the Cardassians occupied Bajor, and the Bajorans could only do strategic terrorist attacks against the Cardassians because the Cardassians were so much more powerful than the Bajorans. I wonder if the Iraqis feel the same way, that they have been unjustly occupied and this is all they can do to fight back...
[/quote]
Uh... what? :P
September 8, 2003, 6:59 AM
Adron
[quote author=Soul Taker link=board=2;threadid=2621;start=0#msg20587 date=1063004399]
Uh... what? :P
[/quote]

I didn't really understand that either, for I haven't watched DS-9. I googled for it though and came to the conclusion that the Cardassians were some much more powerful force than the Bajorans. The Cardassians were so much more powerful than the only thing the Bajorans could do to dent them were small terrorist attacks - you can't win against the evil enemy by going out with one against twenty, and trying would be stupid. So, make the best of it.

September 8, 2003, 11:18 AM
j0k3r
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=2621;start=0#msg20583 date=1063002318]
[/quote]
I've never seen DS9, But I've seen scenarios of this (maybe through history class, mostly through starcraft :P). Sometimes the opposed force will go all out with suicidal tendencies in order to do as much damage as possible to their oppressor (usually if they have an ally that is against the oppressor).

I (being a Canadian) decided to watch it because it is relevant to what goes on in Canada, and thought it was a load of bullcrap. He just said that they were countinuing a war against Iraq for 25minutes... Nothing else really along any matters such as Grok posted (unemployment, economy). Is it possible that he will let the economy slip and then bring it back up with some sort of a super plan? Doubtfully... He deosn't seem that intelligent.

My 2cents.
September 8, 2003, 11:44 AM
Adron
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=2621;start=0#msg20594 date=1063021478]
He just said that they were countinuing a war against Iraq for 25minutes... Nothing else really along any matters such as Grok posted (unemployment, economy). [/quote]

Is it possible that he is focusing on a war instead of on the difficult questions? Avoiding issues that are important to his people in their daily life because it's easier to deal with a war where there's "our side, we're the good guys" and "their side, they're the bad guys"?

[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=2621;start=0#msg20572 date=1062991940]
Bacon. Canadian.
[/quote]
September 8, 2003, 12:10 PM
iago
I noticed he said that, since Iraq is freed, Europe, the US, Japan, and the Middle East will benefit. I guess that means, screw canada, central america, south america, australia, and the rest of asia :(
September 8, 2003, 12:54 PM
Adron
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=2621;start=0#msg20597 date=1063025654]
I noticed he said that, since Iraq is freed, Europe, the US, Japan, and the Middle East will benefit. I guess that means, screw canada, central america, south america, australia, and the rest of asia :(
[/quote]

Haha, I wonder if that was carefully thought out of him... Taking every chance he can get to bash Canada? :P
September 8, 2003, 1:00 PM
iago
I doubt it, because he also failed to mention Australia, and Australia helped with the attack.
September 8, 2003, 1:21 PM
Adron
Well, maybe he holds a personal grudge against Australia or something :P
September 8, 2003, 1:33 PM
Grok
Wherever you live, you shouldn't be assessing whether or not some event will help you based on whether George Dubya says it will help you. Decide for yourself whether it will help you and don't be excited at being included in his opinion list, or disappointed at not being on the same list.

George Dubya has just asked for an 'additional' $87 billion to fight this war. Wasn't it only a few months ago that he asked for $80 billion for an approximate 5 years occupation?

How did we spend the whole $80 billion in 10% of the planned timeframe? Or was the original number just a lie.

Now they're saying "can't turn back now" ... "must finish the job" .. etc. I even heard congressmen saying "even if we were wrong about why we went in there ... even if no weapons of mass destruction were found ... we have a committment to complete the job we are there for..." HUH? Isn't the job we're there for to eliminate WMD?

My government lies.
September 8, 2003, 4:03 PM
Adron
Well, right now it wouldn't make sense to turn back, would seem too much like wrecking someones place without a cause and then leaving without helping to fix what you just ruined.
September 8, 2003, 4:29 PM
Soul Taker
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=2621;start=0#msg20614 date=1063037030]
Wherever you live, you shouldn't be assessing whether or not some event will help you based on whether George Dubya says it will help you. Decide for yourself whether it will help you and don't be excited at being included in his opinion list, or disappointed at not being on the same list.

George Dubya has just asked for an 'additional' $87 billion to fight this war. Wasn't it only a few months ago that he asked for $80 billion for an approximate 5 years occupation?

How did we spend the whole $80 billion in 10% of the planned timeframe? Or was the original number just a lie.

Now they're saying "can't turn back now" ... "must finish the job" .. etc. I even heard congressmen saying "even if we were wrong about why we went in there ... even if no weapons of mass destruction were found ... we have a committment to complete the job we are there for..." HUH? Isn't the job we're there for to eliminate WMD?

My government lies.
[/quote]
I thought one of the main reasons they were pushing for the war was also to liberate an oppressed nation, and set up a democratic government there.
September 8, 2003, 5:24 PM
K
Even though the author is obviously biased, this is still a good read:
http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=16700
September 8, 2003, 6:01 PM
indulgence
Well, I've got the greatest idea in the world - to try to reproduce Reagan's record-setting budget deficeit numbers lets give iraq 87 billion dollars or more. I mean really, what would American citizens and the working class need with that money when we could help poor Asaan Al-Abed Ali Shareq Fa Mussef?
September 10, 2003, 8:44 AM
Arta
This is what I've been saying all along, Grok, but you shot me down every time. Bah.
September 10, 2003, 2:27 PM
Grok
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=board=2;threadid=2621;start=15#msg20795 date=1063204020]
This is what I've been saying all along, Grok, but you shot me down every time. Bah.
[/quote]

You said we should carpet bomb the Middle East and anyone who complains.

I only want peace for everyone.
September 10, 2003, 3:58 PM

Search