Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Visual Studio .NET Disabled

AuthorMessageTime
DaRk-FeAnOr
I downloaded Microsoft Visual Studio .NET a few months ago, but never got around to using it. Now, when I open it, it informs me that I only was entitled to use the program for a certain amount of time and that it is now dissabled. Is there anyway to get around this/some sort of crack? Any help is appreciated.
September 4, 2003, 6:51 PM
CupHead
That would be illegal. We do not support that sort of activity here.
September 4, 2003, 7:06 PM
j0k3r
[quote] Is there anyway to get around this/some sort of crack? [/quote]

In a forum where there are programmers and aspiring programmers, that is quite possibly THE DUMBEST question to ask.

Everyone -1 him.
September 4, 2003, 8:19 PM
Camel
That's pretty low, j0k3r. Even if he is out of place, your flame doesn't benefit anybody.
September 4, 2003, 8:48 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Camel link=board=5;threadid=2585;start=0#msg20170 date=1062708480]
That's pretty low, j0k3r. Even if he is out of place, your flame doesn't benefit anybody.
[/quote]

Bleh. It should benefit *him*. He needs to realize that people who put work and effort into a product don't support piracy.
September 4, 2003, 10:17 PM
DaRk-FeAnOr
[quote]
Bleh. It should benefit *him*. He needs to realize that people who put work and effort into a product don't support piracy.
[/quote]
I assume that means that all of you went to the store and bought visual studio?
September 4, 2003, 10:32 PM
Kp
[quote author=DaRk-FeAnOr link=board=5;threadid=2585;start=0#msg20186 date=1062714769]
[quote]Bleh. It should benefit *him*. He needs to realize that people who put work and effort into a product don't support piracy.[/quote]I assume that means that all of you went to the store and bought visual studio?[/quote]No. Some of us had the sense not to use it at all. ;) (and therefore have no need to buy/download it)
September 4, 2003, 10:43 PM
Adron
And some of us just pirate everything we use.
September 4, 2003, 10:46 PM
Camel
[quote author=Adron link=board=5;threadid=2585;start=0#msg20194 date=1062715577]And some of us just pirate everything we use.[/quote]

Everything?
[me=Camel]tries to imagine Adron driving a pirated car, eating cereal with a pirated spoon, or sleeping with a pirated woman...[/me]
September 4, 2003, 11:29 PM
Adron
Well, I actually do have a purchased license for vs 97 :)
September 5, 2003, 9:15 AM
St0rm.iD
I got the full VS.NET prerelease...it might still work, I should check it out.
September 6, 2003, 3:41 AM
Zeller
Try setting the date on your system clock back. Am I the only one here who believes in helping others?
September 6, 2003, 5:07 AM
Noodlez
do you really think changing the date can fool *MICROSOFT*?!
September 6, 2003, 8:25 AM
j0k3r
[quote author=Noodlez link=board=5;threadid=2585;start=0#msg20319 date=1062836759]
[/quote]
Yes.

Some of us do use pirated software, but if we do it's usually kept to ourselves (we don't share information or anything about it)... We're kids (for the most part) and do not have money, but that doesn't give us the right to download everything we can find. I've bought all the games I play, Windows, and use freeware where possible.

I guess I came off a little harsh, you couldn't really know the ethics of a place without being around it for awhile.
September 6, 2003, 10:23 AM
Yoni
[quote author=Noodlez link=board=5;threadid=2585;start=0#msg20319 date=1062836759]
[/quote]

They make lots of silly mistakes. Ever tried installing Office 2000 Upgrade without having anything to upgrade from? It's really easy. :)
September 6, 2003, 11:53 AM
DarkVirus
What purpose do you have for switching to Visual Studio .net? So many factors make it yucky! I'm learning vb.net (I'm a vb6.0 programmer of ~5 years) and there are too many changes, good and bad, that make Vb6.0 much more appetizing than vb.net. If you can give me a really good reason besides just wanting to add it to your large notebook of pirated cds (Yea we all have one 8) ) then maybe someone can give you a hand in locating it. If not I suggest spending the $1500.00 + to buy a legit copy.
September 6, 2003, 12:34 PM
Hitmen
I could maybe send it to you; the guy I got it from was a wierdo though. It's broken into two parts and those parts broken into over a thousand 1.38 meg zips and two exe's that extract from all of them. So.. I zipped the entire thing. It's 1.5 gigs so if you want it expect it to take a long time.
September 6, 2003, 5:34 PM
St0rm.iD
My VB.NET cost $100.

VB.NET takes out everything you like about your old VB, but makes a lot of non-VB'ers like VB more.

BTW I'd be interested in that crack...my full version .NET RC is restricted :(
September 6, 2003, 5:56 PM
Hitmen
[me=Hitmen]is thinking of a good way to send it...[/me]

Well, I could probably turn IIS back on, but cable's upstream sucks so don't expect more than a ~30KB/sec download. And at 1.5 gigs that's a loooong time.

Edit: I love how the windows 2000 disk says "Do not make illegal copies of this CD".
Yes, I'm sure people listen to that :P
September 6, 2003, 6:15 PM
St0rm.iD
No I've got the DVD
September 6, 2003, 7:43 PM
dRAgoN
There's a way around it but it's expensive compared to being free.

~l)ragon
September 7, 2003, 12:07 AM
Skywing
[quote author=Yoni link=board=5;threadid=2585;start=0#msg20328 date=1062849237]
[/quote]

They make lots of silly mistakes. Ever tried installing Office 2000 Upgrade without having anything to upgrade from? It's really easy. :)
[/quote]
Or that they don't see it as much of an issue.

Especially for something like Office, that gets used for a lot of work-related things, it's the large companies with lots of money (as opposed to individual users) who are buying copies. These companies probably aren't going to try and pirate it, because they'll typically have deep enough pockets for it to be (profit-wise) worth filing a lawsuit against them for software piracy.
September 7, 2003, 12:44 AM
DaRk-FeAnOr
My problem is not that I dont have the software, it is just that when I open it, I get a message that it has been disabled since date x.
September 7, 2003, 2:20 AM
WinSocks
VB.Net just suck in general they made it seem like your too stupid to program, automatically adding source for you, some o fit may be conveinent but alot of it you end up deleting anyways, VB 6.0 much better and i'm better at it.

Besides them changing the code and taking out some Functions that were in other VB Versions it more Web Based, which i find is disturbing....

btw anyone get to check out LongHorn yet?
September 7, 2003, 3:27 AM
St0rm.iD
[quote author=LoRD`NiKKoN link=board=5;threadid=2585;start=15#msg20429 date=1062905227]
VB.Net just suck in general they made it seem like your too stupid to program, automatically adding source for you, some o fit may be conveinent but alot of it you end up deleting anyways, VB 6.0 much better and i'm better at it.

Besides them changing the code and taking out some Functions that were in other VB Versions it more Web Based, which i find is disturbing....

btw anyone get to check out LongHorn yet?
[/quote]

I've found it to be opposite; it assumes you know object-orientented programming pretty deeply, and requires knowledge of the .NET library.
September 7, 2003, 3:36 AM
Grok
[quote author=Skywing link=board=5;threadid=2585;start=15#msg20398 date=1062895452]
Especially for something like Office, that gets used for a lot of work-related things, it's the large companies with lots of money (as opposed to individual users) who are buying copies. These companies probably aren't going to try and pirate it, because they'll typically have deep enough pockets for it to be (profit-wise) worth filing a lawsuit against them for software piracy.
[/quote]

Plus the price is no big deal. $1500 per developer for a enterprise license is no big deal. Figure an average of $65000 per year salary, $2000 computer, $250 for Windows 2000, $500 for Office 2000, $5000 for 3rd party software tools I won't bother describing for this crowd, maybe $1250 for the desk, and $12/sqft per month for the floor space. Toss in 38% worth of company benefits and you're talking $100k+ per year per developer. You only have to buy Visual Studio once every 5 years. It's a drop in the bucket.
September 7, 2003, 4:00 AM
Noodlez
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=5;threadid=2585;start=0#msg20321 date=1062843799]
[/quote]
Yes.

Some of us do use pirated software, but if we do it's usually kept to ourselves (we don't share information or anything about it)... We're kids (for the most part) and do not have money, but that doesn't give us the right to download everything we can find. I've bought all the games I play, Windows, and use freeware where possible.

I guess I came off a little harsh, you couldn't really know the ethics of a place without being around it for awhile.
[/quote]
shut up and put some <sarcasm> tags around my quote
September 7, 2003, 6:04 AM

Search