Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Starting out in programming

AuthorMessageTime
GoaT-
Where do you think newbies should have to start out in programming? (vb6, & c++)
February 11, 2003, 12:11 AM
Crypticflare
I started out with a huge ass book, which I'm glad to say I have about 10 chapters left in it, and I've completed it.
February 11, 2003, 8:50 AM
KBL_BlackIce
Because I only have one vote, I voted for VB6 and Form Design.  In C++, I would have to say read a big book, a VERY BIG book.

VB6 I said form design due to the fact that 99% of your code will be for standalone stuff, unless you go the web design route. Due to that, by designing forms, you can get a feel for what VB does when you see the code for elements ON the form. However, newbies should ALSO read a book for VB>
February 11, 2003, 8:52 AM
iago
When I say game, I don't mean a 3d shooter.  I think programming games like hangman, number-guessing, tic-tac-toe, etc. are a good exercise for learning.
February 11, 2003, 11:50 AM
Tuberload
Don't learn to program in VB because it will only teach you bad habits. Vb.Net might be an exception since it is now object oriented. Get at least a beginners book on a language such as Java or C++ and read through it, then start working on simple games, and other applications working towards professional written code until you feel you have a good grasp on the language and the concept of OOP. Teach yourself the right way to program from the beginning, otherwise you will regret it later on. Now others might have a different opinion on the best ways to learn, but this is my two sense. You must pick the right way for you.
February 11, 2003, 12:52 PM
St0rm.iD
I *highly* recommend Python.
February 11, 2003, 9:05 PM
Thing
Bah!

I think all programmers should be confined in a locked room with two hot programmer chicks.  This room should be filled with wires and vacuum tubes and large circuit boards.  They should be forced to drink warm gin with a human hair in it.

[img]https://davnit.net/bnet/vL/files/eniac.jpg[/img]

Why wasn't THAT one of the choices!!!
February 12, 2003, 12:28 AM
St0rm.iD
Shut up, you're one of them.

Sorry, but you've said comments like this so much I just had to say it.
March 5, 2003, 10:25 PM
MrRaza
[quote]two hot programmer chicks. [/quote]

GOGOGOOG two hot programmer chicks!
March 5, 2003, 11:54 PM
St0rm.iD
[quote]hot programmer chicks![/quote]

Oxymoron?
March 6, 2003, 4:07 PM
Zakath
Yeah...I have yet to meet a hot programmer chick. ???
March 6, 2003, 6:28 PM
MesiaH
Lol, programmer chicks, i didnt know they existed..

I know of some fat grotesqe females that program, but thats far from being declared a *chick*

And if your going to learn Visual Basic, id say start out using BASIC with microsoft's QBasic program, its small, simple, and fast, and the syntax is very similar.

But nevertheless, a book is the way to go, along with form design, anybody can use visual basic's drag and drop objects to create a form, but its useless without understanding. Reading a book will help u go along with it and say "hey i get it, this textbox has some functions, and by executing a subroutine i can make that textbox do exactly what i want it to do, neat!"
March 7, 2003, 12:56 AM
Grok
My exwife is physically one of the most beautiful women I've ever known and she can program circles around many men.
March 7, 2003, 8:23 AM
MrRaza
heh Grok got wiped... ;D
March 7, 2003, 12:53 PM
iago
Married to a hot programmer chick.. suck to lose that :(
March 7, 2003, 2:28 PM
Atom
ALERT TO EVERYONE READING THIS!
GO OUTSIDE... NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FIND SOMEBODY, AND TALK TO THEM WITH YOUR VOICE.
FIND A GIRL, KISS HER, BLOCK THE CODING OUT OF YOUR HEAD.
THERE NOW YOU CAN STOP MASTURBATING ABOUT "HOT PROGRAMMER CHICKS"!

Hey your a normal person now!
March 7, 2003, 6:52 PM
warz
"w00t w00t! Atom[vL] hahahahahaha not. " - Atom's signature

Too bad you're not. Hahahhahaahahahahahahahha.
March 7, 2003, 9:18 PM
dRAgoN
[quote]Yeah...I have yet to meet a hot programmer chick. ???[/quote]

My ex-gf has extensive knowledge of c++ (hot yes also a bitch).
March 9, 2003, 5:52 AM
Yoni
A few days ago I went to the 2nd stage of a national (Israeli) competition of computer science. Since it was the 2nd stage, it required having passed the 1st stage to be there, so all competitors were positively non-stupid. Girls were quite existent there.
March 9, 2003, 7:34 AM

Search