Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | How did you make this forum's colors?

AuthorMessageTime
Pr0pHeT
How was this forum's colors changed from the default YaBB to this black and blue nice colors? How do I do this to my YaBB forum? Detailed explanations are welcome!

Thanks
September 1, 2003, 9:52 PM
Thing
CSS
September 1, 2003, 10:01 PM
Naem
[quote author=Pr0pHeT link=board=2;threadid=2537;start=0#msg19748 date=1062453125]
Detailed explanations are welcome!
[/quote]

[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=2537;start=0#msg19749 date=1062453675]
CSS
[/quote]

haha.
September 2, 2003, 5:55 AM
Yoni
[code]
<title>How did you make this forum's colors?</title>
<style type="text/css">
a:link
{
color: #c0c0c0;
background-color: transparent;
text-decoration: none;
}
a:visited
{
}
a:hover
{
text-decoration: underline;
}
.nav
{
color: #8080FF;
}
.nav:link
{
}
.nav:visited
{
}
.nav:hover
{
font-weight: bold;
color: #0000ff;
text-decoration: underline;
}
body
{
font-size: 12px;
font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, serif;
scrollbar-base-color: #000000;
scrollbar-arrow-color: #0000FF;
}
table
{
empty-cells: show;
}
td
{
color: #FFFFFF;
background-color: #000000;
}
input
{
font-size: 9pt;
color: #000000;
font-family: verdana,arial, helvetica, serif;
background-color: #FFFFFF;
}
textarea
{
font-size: 9pt;
}
select
{
font-size: 7pt;
}
.windowbg
{
background-color: #202020;
}
.windowbg2
{
background-color: #303030;
}
.windowbg3
{
background-color: #00FFFF;
}
hr
{
color: #0000FF;
}
.titlebg
{
}
.text1
{
font-style: normal;
}
.catbg
{
font-size: 13px;
background-color: #000077;
}
.bordercolor
{
background-color: #0000FF;
}
.bordercolor2
{
}
.quote
{
color: #00FF00;
font-family: arial, verdana, helvetica, serif;
}
.code
{
color: #00FF00;
font-family: courier new, helvetica, times new roman, serif;
}
.help
{
cursor: help;
}
.meaction
{
color: red;
}
.editor
{
width : 100%;
}
</style>
[/code]
September 2, 2003, 7:04 AM
Kp
Wouldn't it be better to store the CSS values in a stand-alone file that all the pages reference, thereby allowing regular visitors to get a cache hit on the CSS file and save redownloading all the styles with every page? :)
September 2, 2003, 2:51 PM
Thing
[quote author=Kp link=board=2;threadid=2537;start=0#msg19805 date=1062514309]
Wouldn't it be better to store the CSS values in a stand-alone file that all the pages reference, thereby allowing regular visitors to get a cache hit on the CSS file and save redownloading all the styles with every page? :)
[/quote]It is. It's called template.php
September 2, 2003, 4:56 PM
Camel
No Thing; you're talking about SSI-esque coding. Kp is referring to a '.css' file containing the CSS which the client could cache, thereby saving that much bandwidth on every hit after the initial one.
September 2, 2003, 9:27 PM
iago
template.php loads the .css file, doesn't it?
September 3, 2003, 3:36 AM
Camel
It doesn't matter, the client only sees the finished product. The finished product should be something like this (stolen from microsoft.com): [code]<LINK REL="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/library/flyoutmenu/default.css" />[/code]
Instead of (also stolen from microsoft.com): [code]<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
.hd1{font:bold 14px verdana;color:#787878}
.mnu1{color:#FFFFFF;text-decoration:none;}
.bt1{margin-bottom:8px;background:url('/homepage/gif/bulletK.gif') no-repeat top left;padding-left:15px;}
.bt2{margin-bottom:0px;background:url('/homepage/gif/bulletK.gif') no-repeat top left;background-repeat:no-repeat;padding-left:15px;}
.pd1{padding-left:15px}
A:link{color:#003399}
A:visited{color:#800080}
A:hover{color:#FF3300}
TD{font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica; font-size: xx-small;}
</STYLE>[/code]

In the former case, the entire stylesheet can be cached by the client, whereas it cannot be cached if the raw css is included as in the latter.

The payoff is only significant if the raw css is large enough that it takes up a significant percentage of the entire final html document. The raw css used via a STYLE tag on microsoft.com is acceptable for an additional reason as well: it is very specific to that page, and no other page.
September 3, 2003, 6:46 AM
Thing
Camel, you are under the misconception that lusers deserve consideration. Wrong! Their only purpose in life is to be enslaved by our technology and be manipulated like puppets. We give them a taste of the yummy goodness that we ourselves bathe in and when they beg for more, we make them pay and pay and pay until we give them another taste. Lusers dwell in a mist of uncertainty and despair and it is our job to keep them there.

Iago, no it doesn’t load a. css file. It was written the way it is so that the admins can edit it through the GUI. It would be a simple task to make a .css and have the template load it but until somebody emails me $299.99, I won’t do it.

I’m off to another Micro$oft seminar.
September 3, 2003, 1:17 PM
Yoni
hmm... Why not something like

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="template.php" />
September 3, 2003, 2:18 PM
iago
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=2537;start=0#msg19919 date=1062595027]
Iago, no it doesn’t load a. css file. It was written the way it is so that the admins can edit it through the GUI. It would be a simple task to make a .css and have the template load it but until somebody emails me $299.99, I won’t do it.
[/quote]

Ok, I emailed you $299.99!
September 3, 2003, 5:38 PM
Camel
Hrm, mailto:lmao@u, eh? I tried to email you $299.99 but there were no active mail exchangers for the domain...
September 4, 2003, 1:37 AM
Thing
Iago, thanks for the money. I will piss it away this November when I go to Vega$ for Geeks Gone Wild.

Camel, thanks for trying.

You will be happy to find vlsite.css in your cache now. Remember that all of the colors in that file are copyrighted to Valhalla Legends. Any rebroadcast is subject to the terms detailed in some document somewhere.
September 4, 2003, 4:04 AM
Camel
Damn, now I'll just have to download every page twice to make up for the bandwidth.
September 4, 2003, 6:38 AM
iago
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=2537;start=0#msg20089 date=1062648247]
Iago, thanks for the money. I will piss it away this November when I go to Vega$ for Geeks Gone Wild.

Camel, thanks for trying.

You will be happy to find vlsite.css in your cache now. Remember that all of the colors in that file are copyrighted to Valhalla Legends. Any rebroadcast is subject to the terms detailed in some document somewhere.
[/quote]

I don't think they'll accept it, seeing as though it's worth no more than writing $299.99 on a piece of paper. In fact, it's worth about the same amount as Canadian money. :(
September 4, 2003, 9:40 AM
Camel
The Canadian dollar was doing better last time I checked; it was at $0.75 US. For a while it was down to almost $0.65 US.

[way ot]Why do the Canadians use the $ symbol? The fucking thing was derrived from a U slapped on top of an S![/way ot]
September 4, 2003, 7:51 PM
Soul Taker
Not according to the History Channel!

Edit: "The Spanish royal family used on its escutcheon, two pillars (representing the Pillars of Hercules in Gibraltar and Morocco) crossed by an unfurled banner reading "Plus Ultra." This symbol appeared on the Peso, and looked much like the modern $ sign. It was adopted as a symbol for the Peso in the American colonies, and was transferred to the dollar."
September 4, 2003, 9:26 PM
Adron
So in truth, the Americans are using the fucking peso sign thing? :P
September 4, 2003, 10:35 PM
Camel
[quote author=Soul Taker link=board=2;threadid=2537;start=15#msg20176 date=1062710783]Not according to the History Channel!

Edit: "The Spanish royal family used on its escutcheon, two pillars (representing the Pillars of Hercules in Gibraltar and Morocco) crossed by an unfurled banner reading "Plus Ultra." This symbol appeared on the Peso, and looked much like the modern $ sign. It was adopted as a symbol for the Peso in the American colonies, and was transferred to the dollar."[/quote]

Note to self: school teachers are always wrong.
September 4, 2003, 11:58 PM

Search