Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Sleep sucks

AuthorMessageTime
UserLoser
Why sleep when you can do other things? ;D
August 17, 2003, 7:29 AM
Naem
Yeah, like trying to down two liters of Wild Cherry Pepsi and failing horribly. Fuck.
August 17, 2003, 7:38 AM
UserLoser
I wish I had two liters of pop right now. I have NOTHING in the basement, it sucks. I can't go up the basement stairs to get a drink, the stairs creek too much...going up it's self is loud enough. I think on my way up to my room, I'll stop at the garage and get a Fanta Orange if there's any left. ^^
August 17, 2003, 7:47 AM
mavrick_kr
User, trust me, I just went in my parents room. Theres two dogs in there. I went in grabbed my dads cigar pack and took one. Creeping stairs wont wake up crap.
August 17, 2003, 8:22 AM
UserLoser
Ok, I admit, I have to sleep.
August 17, 2003, 8:55 AM
hismajesty
[quote author=UserLoser link=board=2;threadid=2367;start=0#msg18511 date=1061110514]
Ok, I admit, I have to sleep.
[/quote]

I've lost all my respect for you.
August 17, 2003, 3:02 PM
Hitmen
Sleep is ok... in moderation.
August 17, 2003, 3:54 PM
Amphetamine
you cant deny this, but sleep is the best thing ever.
August 18, 2003, 3:23 AM
Douglife
Sleep is great, what sucks is waking up, I enjoy going for a good length of time without sleeping and doing something strenuous(sp?), then being able to go to sleep without worrying about having to get up again. ;D
August 18, 2003, 3:51 AM
mavrick_kr
I hate going to sleep and not being able to get up in the morning.
August 18, 2003, 4:00 AM
hismajesty
[quote author=Douglife link=board=2;threadid=2367;start=0#msg18592 date=1061178712]
Sleep is great, what sucks is waking up, I enjoy going for a good length of time without sleeping and doing something strenuous(sp?), then being able to go to sleep without worrying about having to get up again. ;D
[/quote]

in about 65 years that dream will become a reality
August 18, 2003, 6:34 AM
Adron
[quote author=hismajesty link=board=2;threadid=2367;start=0#msg18599 date=1061188499]
[quote author=Douglife link=board=2;threadid=2367;start=0#msg18592 date=1061178712]
[/quote]

in about 65 years that dream will become a reality
[/quote]

Sounds like heaven!
August 19, 2003, 4:14 PM
EvilCheese
I love to sleep, but very often I cant do it. I suffer from a type of insomnia caused by my inability to stop thinking, planning and processing. Sleeping pills dont help.. I fight them at a level I cant control, and anything strong enough to overcome that would have side-effects that I'm not willing to experience.

What I've always wondered is.... well... why do we need to sleep at all?

Not doing so seems to have a pretty detrimental effect on both our physical and mental wellbeing (after 65 hours without being able to sleep, I feel like death), but why?

Lots of theories have been put forward by the scientific community... most of them sound rather contrived, and none of them explain it all to my 100% satisfaction.

What do you all think?

And... if there was a pill you could take which meant you never had to sleep again, and could live a healthy and normal existence... would you take it?
August 19, 2003, 7:47 PM
mavrick_kr
Haha, but you have to remember what people do during the time they sleep. I mean if you take this so called pill, you will be bored out of your mind. Except if you're on the computer non-stop which isn't so bad.
August 19, 2003, 8:37 PM
Soul Taker
The military has been working on prototype pills that require you to not sleep, as well as reduce the craving to sleep, for some time now. It has a slew of side-effects so far, and is not good for your muscles, but they feel they can overcome that eventually.
August 19, 2003, 9:12 PM
j0k3r
Sleeping helps your muscles relax... But I don't get how you burn so many calories while you sleep... I Maverick is right, I've had some times I could just stay up all night but no one is on so I just go to bed.

[edit]OH OH I GOT IT! Your heart beats slower when you sleep, and since it's a muscle it needs to relax so while you sleep that is when your heart is relaxing. I have a feeling that the chemicals your brain releases stop while you sleep, so after a long time of being drugged by the chemicals in your brain it starts to tell your body to shut down and go to sleep... All theoretical though :P[/edit]
August 19, 2003, 9:18 PM
UserLoser
I hate going to sleep, but when I do go to sleep, and eventually wake up in the morning, I hate getting out of bed!
August 20, 2003, 3:25 AM

Search