Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Damn!

AuthorMessageTime
Thing
Crackers owned the primary file servers of the GNU Project from mid-March until two weeks ago,...
August 17, 2003, 2:40 AM
Grok
Yes, read about that on slashdot a couple/few days ago.

http://www.slashdot.com

News for Nerds.
August 17, 2003, 5:08 AM
Invert
Lets all blame Microsoft for not having their products open source because if they had their products open source I'm sure people would add back doors into Windows and not Linux.</sarcasm>

At least I know that when I $buy$ my software no one intentionally placed a back door in it.

Edit: Long live the open source movement!
August 17, 2003, 8:32 AM
Raven
[quote author=Invert link=board=2;threadid=2365;start=0#msg18507 date=1061109150]
Lets all blame Microsoft for not having their products open source because if they had their products open source I'm sure people would add back doors into Windows and not Linux.</sarcasm>

At least I know that when I $buy$ my software no one intentionally placed a back door in it.

Edit: Long live the open source movement!
[/quote]

Windows XP was a rare exception, eh? ;)
August 17, 2003, 2:05 PM
Adron
[quote author=Invert link=board=2;threadid=2365;start=0#msg18507 date=1061109150]

[/quote]

When you buy closed-source software, you do not know if anyone intentionally placed a back door in it.

When you compile open-source software, you have the opportunity to check for yourself if anyone placed a back door in it.
August 17, 2003, 4:03 PM
Invert
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=2365;start=0#msg18526 date=1061136212]
When you buy closed-source software, you do not know if anyone intentionally placed a back door in it.

When you compile open-source software, you have the opportunity to check for yourself if anyone placed a back door in it.
[/quote]

Yes I do, why would Microsoft risk a lawsuit that can bankrupt the company and intentionally place a backdoor in their software?

I know 100% that there is no intentional backdoor in my OS.
August 17, 2003, 9:14 PM
Adron
I don't know what your OS is, but, if it's a Microsoft OS, you can't know 100% if there is an intentional backdoor in it or not. You don't have source. They could've been pressured by the FBI or some other agency to install a backdoor somewhere.
August 17, 2003, 9:56 PM
Raven
There's an internal backdoor in Windows XP. I believe there was one also in Windows ME. It was essentially spyware that could be easily exploited. When Microsoft realized this wasn't gonna fly, they began to patch XP to close that hole. I think this was actually on the news, as well.
August 17, 2003, 11:03 PM

Search