Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Signature images

AuthorMessageTime
Arta
Please can we disable them, or at least limit their size to something reasonably minute?

It's immensely annoying to have to scroll past 3 massive signature images when reading a thread.

If the forum does not have the capability to limit the size of signature images I will gladly make any necessary modification.
August 9, 2003, 5:47 AM
iago
You can't limit the size, it uses the image's size. There should be an option to disable seeing signatures, or there should be a warning about signatures when creating an account and if it isn't followed an admin should delete the signature.
August 9, 2003, 8:25 AM
Raven
Notice how one of the admins (Grok) has one of the bigger signatures images. ;)

But really, they're not that bad, right?
August 9, 2003, 1:32 PM
DrivE
Some are just delightfully tacky.

!~!HaZaRD!~!
August 9, 2003, 2:07 PM
Raven
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~mferker/hypn.gif[/img]

:)
August 9, 2003, 3:08 PM
iago
You can always remap the hosts that they're stored at to 0.0.0.0 .. that's what I did for somebody's avatar that was giving me a headache :)
August 9, 2003, 3:46 PM
Grok
[quote author=Raven link=board=2;threadid=2257;start=0#msg17525 date=1060435943]

[/quote]

Bah.
August 9, 2003, 4:45 PM
Kp
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=2257;start=0#msg17553 date=1060447505]
[quote author=Raven link=board=2;threadid=2257;start=0#msg17525 date=1060435943]

[/quote]Bah.[/quote]... even though his does clash horribly with my color scheme. However, several of the ones on the botdev board are getting out of hand (in particular, Craz3d and Feanor come to mind). I'm inclined to just start deleting posts that drop in excessively large images until their authors get the message.

One possible solution to the problem would be that the images must be linked through BB code and that the BB only allows linking to images on certain "whitelisted" hosts, such as vl.com, the icq is-online server, etc. Random personal webhosts wouldn't be on the whitelist and so wouldn't be able to provide signature images.
August 9, 2003, 5:14 PM
Adron
That doesn't sound like such a good idea to me. It is nice if people are able to pick their own personal image, not an image from a set of pictures that everyone uses.

I think that the best way to solve this would be through a rule and moderating. Do signatures on existing posts change dynamically when a poster modifies his signature, or are they stored to the post when it's posted? If they're not dynamical, just delete all posts with large signatures as being off-topic.
August 9, 2003, 5:21 PM
Kp
I'm reasonably sure that all posts made by a particular user show the user's present signature, regardless of their age. It makes sense that this is the case, since the entire thread appears to be dynamically generated at view time anyway.
August 9, 2003, 6:09 PM
Adron
OK; then it doesn't make much sense to delete posts with a large signature because then you'd have to delete all their posts... Hmm, hard to find a good answer to the problem.
August 9, 2003, 7:36 PM
Arta
The solution is simple for anyone with access to the box: Just edit their signature directly (using mysql.exe)
August 9, 2003, 9:02 PM
Adron
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=board=2;threadid=2257;start=0#msg17573 date=1060462965]
The solution is simple for anyone with access to the box: Just edit their signature directly (using mysql.exe)
[/quote]

Actually, as administrator, you can edit anyone's signature without resorting to mysql.
August 9, 2003, 9:16 PM
Grok
Hmm, does this version use MySQL? I thought it used flat files.
August 9, 2003, 10:28 PM
Naem
Profile -> Hide images in signatures
August 9, 2003, 10:31 PM
Arta
I think it uses mssql, come to think of it.

Adron: In that case, the solution is even simpler :)
August 9, 2003, 10:31 PM
mavrick_kr
I didn't read the whole thread but I got the simple grasp of it. Why not just put the certain size you want of the peoples Signature Images to be in the Forum Guide Lines, so then the people can just re-size it to the size you want it, if it's possible to do so on this forum. For example

making your text bigger and smaller. It's worked on forums that wanted the sigs to be smaller and less huge on gamers boards in the past. Well my Two Cents.
August 9, 2003, 10:35 PM
Thing
Ok this is the solution I have implemented. Go to your profile and you will see a new check box "Hide images in signatures?". Put a little check mark in there and you will see the images as links instead of having them load. Thanks to sparkiegeek for the code.
August 9, 2003, 10:38 PM
Adron
Nice!
August 9, 2003, 10:51 PM
CrAz3D
It would've been nice for someone to tell me that my sig was too big, I was thinking it was a little large, but insstead my posts have been deleted.

Thanks for the new option though.
August 9, 2003, 11:10 PM
DrivE
Don't you think it would be faster just to tell RhiNo, Feanor, and Craz3d to take the pictures out of their signatures?

!~!HaZaRD!~!
August 10, 2003, 12:03 AM
Kp
[quote author=HaZarD link=board=2;threadid=2257;start=15#msg17603 date=1060473832]
Don't you think it would be faster just to tell RhiNo, Feanor, and Craz3d to take the pictures out of their signatures?[/quote]Possibly, but what about when someone else (for example, another JoeCool) wanders in and starts making a mess of things complete with massive signature image? Being able to suppress all signature images is much nicer, IMO.
August 10, 2003, 12:06 AM
DrivE
I was just talking about a short term solution Kp but you're right on your point.

!~!HaZaRD!~!
August 10, 2003, 12:19 AM
iago
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=2257;start=0#msg17584 date=1060468135]
Hmm, does this version use MySQL? I thought it used flat files.
[/quote]

I think the php version of the bbs uses sql, but I could be wrong.
August 10, 2003, 2:54 AM
Thing
MySQL
August 10, 2003, 3:17 AM

Search