Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Working with 56k Modem

AuthorMessageTime
MesiaH
Im sure this is possible, but just to be sure.

I have cable internet, but if i were to hook up my phone line to my 56k modem, would i be able to tell who is calling, and make some advanced options, like disconnecting unwanted numbers, etc. Keep in mind this is without having Caller Id with my telephone service provider. All inputs are welcome on this one.
August 8, 2003, 11:20 PM
Adron
I highly doubt that it would be possible.
August 9, 2003, 1:01 AM
MesiaH
but wouldnt it work just like computers? each computer has to know the ip of the other in order to communicate, wouldnt the phone work the same way?
August 9, 2003, 1:21 AM
Arta
AFAIK:

No. When you make a phone call, the exchange routes your call to the line corresponding to the number you dialled - So your phone can just send blindly and trust that your data (It may be analogue, but it's still data) will end up in the right place.
August 9, 2003, 5:44 AM
MesiaH
i realized that earlier, damn.
August 9, 2003, 6:46 AM
zorm
Just to sorta expand on this idea. Is there any way to detect incoming phone calls while online? Im thinking there has to be a way because of internet call waiting and such but ive no idea were to even start.
August 9, 2003, 6:51 AM
iago
If you have caller-id, then your phone's box gets the name/number data. There is probably a way to get that with your computer.
August 9, 2003, 8:30 AM
Adron
Yes, I do that. But the assumption was that he didn't have caller id... If you do have caller id, most modern modems will have built-in decoding of it.
August 9, 2003, 10:01 AM
Camel
[quote author=zorm link=board=5;threadid=2255;start=0#msg17510 date=1060411883]
Just to sorta expand on this idea. Is there any way to detect incoming phone calls while online? Im thinking there has to be a way because of internet call waiting and such but ive no idea were to even start.
[/quote]

As I understand it, the way AOL does this is by detecting the beep or whatever noise Call Waiting makes. They advertise that Call Waiting is required, and they charge extra for it even though it probably costs them absolutely nothing. Clearly it is *possible* to read Caller ID data, but I doubt you're going to get anywhere without either Caller ID or Call Waiting as there's no other way to detect these things.
August 10, 2003, 9:02 PM
MesiaH
So if im understanding this correct, if you sign up for caller ID, its just an extra peice of data sent to your phone line, and the caller ID box just interprets it and makes it look pretty, so without it, you would have no way of telling. Ive convinced my mom to sign up for caller id (We used to have it, i still got the original caller id box from when it first came out, plus my phone has it built in). So i should be able to toy with it on my computer once i get it, correct?
August 11, 2003, 3:09 AM
Spht
[quote author=MesiaH link=board=5;threadid=2255;start=0#msg17740 date=1060571367]
So if im understanding this correct, if you sign up for caller ID, its just an extra peice of data sent to your phone line, and the caller ID box just interprets it and makes it look pretty, so without it, you would have no way of telling.[/quote]

That is correct... *watches people get technical with the "How come on movies the FBI can track down callers then HUH??"

Specifically, you'll get the TSPI LINE_CALLINFO message which is sent to your LINEEVENT call-back function. You wouldn't normally get this message without the caller ID service. You can then use TAPI function lineGetCallInfo() to get the caller information.
August 11, 2003, 3:53 AM
Adron
[quote author=Spht link=board=5;threadid=2255;start=0#msg17743 date=1060573997]
Specifically, you'll get the TSPI LINE_CALLINFO message which is sent to your LINEEVENT call-back function. You wouldn't normally get this message without the caller ID service. You can then use TAPI function lineGetCallInfo() to get the caller information.
[/quote]

Did you get all this working?
August 11, 2003, 8:51 AM
EvilCheese
Of course, you could always switch to ISDN, that way you only have to deal with the digital protocol of the phone service at the same level that the exchanges do.

Using a properly configured ISDN setup it's possible not only to detect incoming calls and their origination, but also to temporarily free up channel space to allow you to receive the call whilst remaining connected to the Internet.

An additional advantage of ISDN is the ability to receive information about the precise number dialled by the call originator, allowing the specification of extensions and allowing you to route calls to specific telephones within your internal network dependant upon extra digits specified as a suffix to your main number.

Of course... the main disadvantage is that ISDN is prohibitively expensive in most countries, which I find peculiar since the installation of an ISDN endpoint to your house actually involves the removal, rather than the addition, of conversion hardware.
August 11, 2003, 3:00 PM
j0k3r
[me=j0k3r]begins to wonder about digital display calls (you know those ones where you talk and can see each other)[/me]
August 11, 2003, 4:34 PM
Spht
[quote author=Adron link=board=5;threadid=2255;start=0#msg17776 date=1060591870]
[quote author=Spht link=board=5;threadid=2255;start=0#msg17743 date=1060573997]
[/quote]

Did you get all this working?
[/quote]

Yes, it works fine. I haven't looked in to answering the phone yet (and playing back message and recording message).
August 11, 2003, 6:45 PM
Adron
[quote author=Spht link=board=5;threadid=2255;start=0#msg17826 date=1060627553]
Yes, it works fine. I haven't looked in to answering the phone yet (and playing back message and recording message).
[/quote]

Nice! I haven't been able to test TAPI's support for caller id myself because my modem doesn't support it.
August 11, 2003, 6:51 PM
Spht
Has anyone tried supporting call waiting notifications (caller identification while system is using phone line)?
October 17, 2003, 1:29 AM
Adron
Not me...
October 17, 2003, 7:46 AM

Search