Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Karma idea.

AuthorMessageTime
Grok
* Allow only selected members to give karma points.

* Allow selecting karma givers by forum. Such that vL members could mod karma in one forum, while selected botdev community members could mod karma in BotDev, and CupHead would be the only one who could mod karma in his.

* When karma reaches a configurable threshold or formula, trigger a rule. This could be a warning, or a temporary or permanent ban.

The motivation for the idea comes from the deterioration of the botdev post quality, which we all know is attributable to CSB, but that can still be addressed as a discrete problem.

Were it possible for the top 20, say, respected bot developers to be able to mod karma, they could realistically, over time, keep the level of intelligence up. Maybe.

Comments?
August 6, 2003, 10:44 PM
Arta
A brilliant idea, however, I'd implement it independently of the current karma system. It could even be something all members could use to 'vote' on nonmembers.
August 6, 2003, 11:58 PM
j0k3r
It sounds great, no more negative karma from little disputes... Top (number) respected and RESPONSIBLE people would be allowed to modify...

The bannings should (as always) be left up to the admins/mods I believe.

Would this restart the Karma or be an independant system as arta suggested?
August 7, 2003, 1:14 AM
Raven
Yeah, I agree, take away that devious Invert's ability to constantly zap my karma. ;)
August 7, 2003, 1:25 AM
Invert
Um... I'm not responsible for the majority of your negative Karma. You have given me like -10 yourself.
August 7, 2003, 1:30 AM
DrivE
I have to agree with the idea. It really would be nice to know what members and select people think of us rather than just random people who smite you because you smited them.

!~!HaZaRD!~!
August 7, 2003, 1:38 AM
iago
You could make it like AIM, people can "warn" them, and if they get too many warnings in too short of a time they get temporarely banned.
August 7, 2003, 4:38 AM
Raven
Not true Invert, I only gave you like -4 as retal for you giving me -10. :)
August 7, 2003, 5:26 AM
Adron
Suggestions:

Split karma into global karma and karma for forum X. This way you can have good karma in one forum, bad karma in another, and average karma overall.

Store information on which post you received your good/bad karma from. This provides for:

* A post that gave its writer good karma could get an extra glow, or stars, or something like that - something to make other people notice that post in particular when searching that forum for answers. The opposite for bad posts.

* A poster could look at what posts he got good or bad karma from and use that to improve his postings.

Alternatives to limiting karma giving to very few select members (which I don't think you should, if you do limit to very few people, you could as well make them moderators and be done with it):

# Ensure that each user can only give +1/0/-1 for each post. Make it visible who gave karma, and make it possible to later write a small log analyzer program that bans people who always give karma in the other direction from everyone else.

# Allow only moderators and users with a positive karma (by X amount) to modify karma for others.

August 7, 2003, 8:02 AM
Naem
Ah, but who would have the motivation to code such a system? :P
August 8, 2003, 4:57 AM
Adron
If it wasn't in php...
August 8, 2003, 8:01 AM
UserLoser
What about two bot dev forums? One you have to have special access to get there, while the other is for everyone else to use. I think it was DM who liked this idea. :D
August 8, 2003, 1:59 PM
DrivE
I don't think thats such a good idea UserLoser. I think it would be best if "newbs" were just invited to *Read* just like in the advanced programming secition.

!~!HaZaRD!~!
August 8, 2003, 3:02 PM
Adron
Note that there's no automatic enforcement of the "newbies are welcome to read, not post" rule of advanced programming. Me and the other moderators will manually delete any posts we deem too basic for the forum.

You can just make a rule against posting questions answered in the faq (oooh, maybe you should make a faq first? :P) and then trashcan all posts that break the rule.
August 8, 2003, 3:55 PM
Arta
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=2230;start=0#msg17413 date=1060329697]
If it wasn't in php...
[/quote]

PHP is C based. You could learn it in 5 minutes.
August 8, 2003, 11:15 PM
Adron
Really? I thought it was more like Perl based with $variables and stuff. Guess perhaps it isn't so bad after all then.
August 9, 2003, 12:58 AM
Arta
No, it's very C based. $ does indicate a variable, but so far as I know, that's where the similarity with PERL ends - that said, I don't know PERL, so I could be wrong. The rest of the syntax is all taken straight from C, with a few additions. Most PHP library functions are named after their C counterparts, although the order of arguments sometimes differs.

Variables are pretty much the only different thing, really. You don't need to declare them, as PHP will work out by itsself what type a variable is. There's an extra equality operator (===) which means 'is the same, and is the same type', so that you can distinguish between '0' and 0, if you needed to. Arrays can be indexed using strings as well as numbers which is quite useful. Include is implemented as a language construct instead of a directive. Functions don't have return types, since that's worked out automatically too.

There are probably a few other bits, but I think that's most of them :)
August 9, 2003, 5:40 AM
mavrick_kr
I think this would be the best method for the Karma Idea. I mean when people only roast but not toast its pretty negative. :-[

[code]

# Ensure that each user can only give +1/0/-1 for each post. Make it visible who gave karma, and make it possible to later write a small log analyzer program that bans people who always give karma in the other direction from everyone else.
[/code]
August 14, 2003, 12:29 AM
Camel
Calculate karma dynamicly (but not on-the-fly; calculate it every time it is modified) based on the actual stored records of +/- karma. This way, users who are given karma by other users banned for giving "incorrect" karma can have their karma restored. This would help to eliminate grudges.
August 14, 2003, 7:30 AM

Search