Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Drawing a focus rect for an owner-drawn listbox

AuthorMessageTime
Maddox
I'm trying to draw a focus rect when a user clicks an item in my owner-drawn listbox. So far I've only been able to draw one when a user mouses over an item. I tried processing the ODA_FOCUS and ODA_SELECT messages to no avail. I also tried using DefWindowProc() following the advice of DM, but this did not work either. Any help would be appreciated.
August 5, 2003, 5:16 AM
Skywing
[quote author=Maddox link=board=5;threadid=2211;start=0#msg17074 date=1060060617]
I'm trying to draw a focus rect when a user clicks an item in my owner-drawn listbox. So far I've only been able to draw one when a user mouses over an item. I tried processing the ODA_FOCUS and ODA_SELECT messages to no avail. I also tried using DefWindowProc() following the advice of DM, but this did not work either. Any help would be appreciated.
[/quote]
The best way to handle this is to simply check the item state for the item being currently drawn in WM_DRAWITEM and draw a focus rect there if necessary.

Edit: Use WM_DRAWITEM and not WM_PAINT.
August 5, 2003, 6:38 AM
DarkMinion
Sky, I'm curious as to how that works, because in MSDN documentation, it says that both wParam and lParam are unused in WM_PAINT.

I guess the documentation is wrong?
August 5, 2003, 6:06 PM
Skywing
[quote author=DarkMinion link=board=5;threadid=2211;start=0#msg17112 date=1060106814]
Sky, I'm curious as to how that works, because in MSDN documentation, it says that both wParam and lParam are unused in WM_PAINT.

I guess the documentation is wrong?
[/quote]
No, that should have been WM_DRAWITEM and not WM_PAINT. Sorry (although you could still use the item-from-point stuff with WM_PAINT).
August 5, 2003, 6:17 PM
DarkMinion
Ah, I knew I wasn't crazy!
August 5, 2003, 6:59 PM
Maddox
[quote author=Skywing link=board=5;threadid=2211;start=0#msg17078 date=1060065489]
[quote author=Maddox link=board=5;threadid=2211;start=0#msg17074 date=1060060617]
[/quote]
The best way to handle this is to simply check the item state for the item being currently drawn in WM_DRAWITEM and draw a focus rect there if necessary.

Edit: Use WM_DRAWITEM and not WM_PAINT.
[/quote]

I've already tried this and it draws the rect only when the cursor is over an item.
August 5, 2003, 9:51 PM
Adron
Maybe you have some kind of modern listbox? Normally focus will stay on an item you've clicked
August 6, 2003, 12:21 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Adron link=board=5;threadid=2211;start=0#msg17194 date=1060172465]
Maybe you have some kind of modern listbox? Normally focus will stay on an item you've clicked
[/quote]
To my knowledge there's no built in way to do that with class "LISTBOX".

Here's what I use:
[code]
   if(DrawStruct.itemState & ODS_SELECTED) {
      FillRect(DrawStruct.hDC, &DrawStruct.rcItem, GetSysColorBrush(COLOR_HIGHLIGHT));
      TextColor = RGB(0xff, 0xff, 0xff);
   }

if(DrawStruct.itemState & ODS_FOCUS && GetFocus() == DrawStruct.hwndItem)
      DrawFocusRect(DrawStruct.hDC, &DrawStruct.rcItem);
[/code]
Note that this only draws the focus rect when your program has focus. If you activate a window not in the tree which the ListBox is a member of, the focus rect will disappear.
August 6, 2003, 6:12 PM

Search