Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Download or Retriving Data from a website.

AuthorMessageTime
Tubby
What im trying to make is a program that will startup when windows starts up, connect to the internet(using cable modem) and get the Joke of the Day, Comic of the day etc from certain websites. I looked at Skywings code that connects to battlenet and downloads certain files. How would i go about making this program?
August 4, 2003, 6:17 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Tubby link=board=5;threadid=2199;start=0#msg17010 date=1060021031]
What im trying to make is a program that will startup when windows starts up, connect to the internet(using cable modem) and get the Joke of the Day, Comic of the day etc from certain websites. I looked at Skywings code that connects to battlenet and downloads certain files. How would i go about making this program?
[/quote]
You'd probably want to write your program as a service (assuming you're using Windows NT/2000/XP/2003).

The Platform SDK includes a sample which shows how to do this (search for service.c, service.h). Additionally, there's an ActiveX component called NtSvc.ocx which you could use to easily make a simple service from VB.

The WinInet functions (see MSDN) might be sufficient for your HTTP downloading needs.
August 4, 2003, 7:08 PM
Tubby
Im using windows ME. Can i still make it?
August 4, 2003, 7:18 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Tubby link=board=5;threadid=2199;start=0#msg17017 date=1060024692]
Im using windows ME. Can i still make it?
[/quote]
Not as a service. I'm not sure how much luck you'll have in easily writing something which will work before somebody logs on for Win9x/WinMe.
August 4, 2003, 8:02 PM
Tubby
I just need it to get what ever the joke of the day is from a website. Could it be done tho?
August 4, 2003, 8:29 PM

Search