Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | D2 Characters

AuthorMessageTime
iago
There hasn't been a poll in awhile, so here you go!

Mine is Sorceress, I like Firewall because, among other things, I can make jokes (It's impossible to hack a sorceress!)
August 4, 2003, 11:42 AM
j0k3r
I LOVE Necromancers~! They just rock, great party character, do fine on their own... Although sorceresses were close behind because of the amount of skills you can use.

I used to love playing through the game (single player, no MH) with druids and assassins too, fun classes.
August 4, 2003, 12:03 PM
UserLoser
Barbarian! ;D I miss my old legit 99 barb. BNet ate it when they banned UserLoser. All my gear was legit, however the amulet & one of rings were not legit - they were duped. Let's see if I can remember what I had...

Arreat's Face socketed with 15%IAS Jewel
Perfect JAH'd Grandfather (My brother found it and let me use it since he doesn't play barbarians)
Stormshield socketed with a 40%ED/15%IAS Jewel.
Perfect String of Ears.
Gore Rider for boots.
(Don't remember my gloves :'()
5% Bul Katho's Wedding Band for one of my rings.
Corruption Grip for my other ring.
Near perfect 1.09 Arkaine's Valor socketed with something that I don't remember
I had 22k defense, 6.5k one hand damage, 7.5k two hand damage with level ? berserk.

Edit: UserLoser > Iago :D
August 4, 2003, 1:31 PM
DrivE
I am personally very fond of the Paladin race. A well built Paladin has a drastic advangate over all the other races, although the same is true with Necormancers and Assassins.

!~!HaZaRD!~!
August 5, 2003, 4:00 PM
iago
[quote author=HaZarD link=board=2;threadid=2197;start=0#msg17103 date=1060099206]
I am personally very fond of the Paladin race. A well built Paladin has a drastic advangate over all the other races, although the same is true with Necormancers and Assassins.

!~!HaZaRD!~!
[/quote]

Any well-built character has a drastic advantage, but some are better in parties that others, like paladins.
August 5, 2003, 10:29 PM
DrivE
Yes iago my point was that a well built Paladin would have an advange over a well built character of another class. IMHO I believe that a Paladin is a very self sufficent character class, unlike other classes that can have huge flaws and/or dificencies. I also agree that even though they are self-sufficent, they thrive in groups, as do all character classes.

!~!HaZaRD!~!
August 5, 2003, 10:41 PM
Naem
I was always under the impression that the Paladins were one of the weakest classes, second to the Necro, in PvP anyway. Amazons have guided arrow and slow target which would screw over anyone, and Barbarians have whirlwind, frenzy etc. Sorceresses have FO, teleport, meteor, etc, but that's all gone to shit ever since Absorb was added. Necros have nothing. Paladins have...... FoH? Zeal?
August 6, 2003, 4:04 AM
iago
Zeal is nice, if you're using a pike or something else "very slow", you still get to attack nice.

I don't really care about PvP, but that's just my opinion.

What's FO? I can't seem to match that to any skill, and I'm not about to start a game to find out :)

In order from my favourite:
Sorceress
Necromancer
Paladin
Amazon
Druid
Barbarian
Assassin

Although I haven't been fair to assassins, since i haven't really used them.
August 6, 2003, 9:29 AM
Yoni
FoH is kind of ewwy, IIRC... Costs too much mana and generally isn't worth it.

Zeal is great though. You could use it on a "very slow" weapon to attack at normal speed, but that's not its strength... Try pushing the speed limit with a "fast" or "very fast" weapon, at least level 5 zeal, and for best effects, a big AR boost. The paladin attacks about 5 times per second, and with the extra AR, doesn't miss :).

Try to combine with a Holy Freeze aura. You're fast + they're slow = ownage.

Oh, btw... I never played PvP.
August 6, 2003, 9:36 AM
Soul Taker
[quote author=Naem link=board=2;threadid=2197;start=0#msg17166 date=1060142643]
I was always under the impression that the Paladins were one of the weakest classes, second to the Necro, in PvP anyway. Amazons have guided arrow and slow target which would screw over anyone, and Barbarians have whirlwind, frenzy etc. Sorceresses have FO, teleport, meteor, etc, but that's all gone to shit ever since Absorb was added. Necros have nothing. Paladins have...... FoH? Zeal?
[/quote]
Necromancers are widely accepted as the best 1v1 class actually. FoH is good vs everything but really good sorcs. Sorcs are overall the best duel chars, while barbs are the worst.
August 6, 2003, 10:03 AM
Eibro
I generally play Paladins, they're just so damn fun.
There's a few [amazing] combinations I see (or saw) used a lot:
Thorns + Conversion
Conviction + Vengence
Blessed Hammer + Something (I think it was Blessed Aim)
Zeal + Fanaticism

Before the last patch, putting > 7 or so points in Zeal would get you killed (aka Zeal lock)
That last combo really does justice for your attack speed :) That's what i'm going for with my current paladin.
Next to the Paladin... I'd say the Barbarian is my favorite class, followed by the Druid.
August 6, 2003, 11:19 AM
Adron
I don't like Paladins because I think they walk too slow. Trying to hunt down some annoying little critter that keeps jumping and running all over gets frustrating. The other classes either have a good ranged attack or a jump/teleport to catch up with runners.
August 6, 2003, 12:05 PM
iago
[quote author=Yoni link=board=2;threadid=2197;start=0#msg17180 date=1060162590]
FoH is kind of ewwy, IIRC... Costs too much mana and generally isn't worth it.

Zeal is great though. You could use it on a "very slow" weapon to attack at normal speed, but that's not its strength... Try pushing the speed limit with a "fast" or "very fast" weapon, at least level 5 zeal, and for best effects, a big AR boost. The paladin attacks about 5 times per second, and with the extra AR, doesn't miss :).

Try to combine with a Holy Freeze aura. You're fast + they're slow = ownage.

Oh, btw... I never played PvP.
[/quote]

I only recently tried that combo, it was fun, but that was the character who was killd by the Smith (see my other post about d2 being stupid) and I moved onto a different class after that.
August 6, 2003, 12:48 PM
DrivE
I am personally almost a solid PvP player. All that follows is simply my humble opinion. In a duel a Paladin can be the most fearsome foe, if it is built correctly. If you set it up right it can easily dodge/block the attack of an amazon, tank the whirlwind of a barbarian, shrug off the effects of a Sorceress (A well built Paladin must have high resistances), etc., etc. I think you see where I am going with that. The trick, as Adron pointed out, is that typically they are slow. In order to make up for this there is an attack known as "Charge" in which the speed of the Paladin is greatly increased and there is an auora that increases stamina and speed that you use when you are in pursuit of a runner. In a melee duel there is no substitute for Zeal. It is faster and more powerful than other melee attacks (with the possible exception of the Jab Javelin skill on the Amazon) which will stun your attacker and never give them the chance to run or get a single shot off. SoulTaker I have to smite you for your post. Necromancers are accepted as a great class if it is well built, but Barbarians are by far not the worst and Sorceress' by far not the best. I agree with Yoni that in most cases FoH is pretty much useless. If any of you happen to be curious to learn more about how to build a very fearsome Paladin post below and if there is any interest I will post some points and tips on how to built a fearsome and LEGIT Paladin. Thats just my 2 cents.

!~!HaZaRD!~!
August 6, 2003, 3:54 PM
Soul Taker
Play in pro. duel tournies and you'll see what I mean.
August 6, 2003, 5:18 PM
DrivE
All I do is duel I know my PvP SoulTaker.

!~!HaZaRD!~!
August 6, 2003, 6:55 PM
Hitmen
[quote author=Eibro link=board=2;threadid=2197;start=0#msg17185 date=1060168790]
Thorns + Conversion
[/quote]

Generally not a good idea, when they revert back they keep the thorns aura for a short time which can be dangerous. :-\
August 6, 2003, 6:56 PM
iago
[quote author=Hitmen link=board=2;threadid=2197;start=15#msg17223 date=1060196185]
[quote author=Eibro link=board=2;threadid=2197;start=0#msg17185 date=1060168790]
Thorns + Conversion
[/quote]

Generally not a good idea, when they revert back they keep the thorns aura for a short time which can be dangerous. :-\
[/quote]

Yeah, that's dumb, but it's ok if you have a ranged mercenary (act 1 or 3) and you're careful about attacking them in melee.
August 6, 2003, 10:50 PM
j0k3r
I've made a level 50 pally for PK/Duel in HC, max FoH, max Thorns, Might Merc. I'm gunna see how it goes this was a huge test but I think it should turn out OK with a lot of +skills.
August 6, 2003, 11:29 PM
Adron
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=2197;start=15#msg17259 date=1060210258]
[quote author=Hitmen link=board=2;threadid=2197;start=15#msg17223 date=1060196185]
[/quote]

Yeah, that's dumb, but it's ok if you have a ranged mercenary (act 1 or 3) and you're careful about attacking them in melee.
[/quote]

And from what I can seee it's also being fixed in D2 1.1?
August 7, 2003, 8:03 AM
j0k3r
What is, the reverting with thorns or being able to kill it with ranged?
August 7, 2003, 12:50 PM
UserLoser
Nobody likes assassins? :-\ What I think, assassins are probably one of the best PVP characters in the game if they're built right. I know my brothers assassin was the best assassin I've ever seen before. He used all legit gear, and could easy take out anything. And no, he wasn't a trapper either. Dragon flight one time on to an amazon and sometimes even a sorceress, and he'd kill them in only one hit. As for dueling barbarians, assassins can't melee barbarians when they're whirlwinding, if barbarians were to melee him, the assassin would attack much faster, but doing less damage, and still take out the barbarian.
August 7, 2003, 2:09 PM
DrivE
I agree with UserLoser. Assassins are far from weak, if they are built right. If they are built well then they are a formidable foe.

!~!HaZaRD!~!
August 7, 2003, 3:36 PM
Skywing
[quote author=HaZarD link=board=2;threadid=2197;start=15#msg17309 date=1060270605]
I agree with UserLoser. Assassins are far from weak, if they are built right. If they are built well then they are a formidable foe.

!~!HaZaRD!~!
[/quote]
That's really not all that meaningful - from what I can tell, almost any class is a "formidable foe" with a properly constructed character.

Detailed reasoning is more helpful in this case -- e.g. Assassin skill X works very nicely against Barbarians with skill Y.
August 7, 2003, 3:43 PM
j0k3r
I don't know about skills working well against each other but I know why assassins can be great (well sort of know why, don't actually play them myself).

Firstly, Burst of Speed gives the assassin a huge advantage over other characters that is hard to makeup, run speed and attack speed. If they are in trouble they can get away with no problem, and if they are in hand to hand combat with other classes, the burst of speed gives matches it's attack speed with the other class, any extra attack speed will put it ahead.

Tiger Strike is another thing, adding 1200(?)% to their damage with 3 charges, a good assassin can take out almost any character with 1 hit (+the hits it takes to charge up).

Dragon flight can place an assassin next to hard to reach character classes like amazons and sorceresses, although it doesn't do alot of damage, if you have Tiger Strike charged you can hit them right after you teleport and fortunately those two classes don't have a lot of life.

Their maneuverability and damage is largely underestimated for the most part, but made right (speed+damage) can be formidable.
August 7, 2003, 4:17 PM
Skywing
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=2197;start=15#msg17313 date=1060273053]
I don't know about skills working well against each other but I know why assassins can be great (well sort of know why, don't actually play them myself).

Firstly, Burst of Speed gives the assassin a huge advantage over other characters that is hard to makeup, run speed and attack speed. If they are in trouble they can get away with no problem, and if they are in hand to hand combat with other classes, the burst of speed gives matches it's attack speed with the other class, any extra attack speed will put it ahead.

Tiger Strike is another thing, adding 1200(?)% to their damage with 3 charges, a good assassin can take out almost any character with 1 hit (+the hits it takes to charge up).

Dragon flight can place an assassin next to hard to reach character classes like amazons and sorceresses, although it doesn't do alot of damage, if you have Tiger Strike charged you can hit them right after you teleport and fortunately those two classes don't have a lot of life.

Their maneuverability and damage is largely underestimated for the most part, but made right (speed+damage) can be formidable.
[/quote]
Any information on how an amazon with Slow Missile would do against that, for instance?
August 7, 2003, 4:26 PM
Eibro
Thorns + Conversion
[/quote]

[/quote]Ahh, I remember a few times playing Hardcore with random people... I warned them about the thorns bug, but they never listened. I remember at least three people that died because of it.
August 7, 2003, 4:28 PM
iago
That's a lot like Starcraft, although carriers are good, valkeries will kill them. Valkeries will be killed by goliaths. Goliaths will be killed by tanks. Tanks will be killed by zerglings. Zerglings will be killed by lurkers. Lurkers will be killed by carriers.

Everything has a strong point and a weak point in Starcraft, and D2 is a lot like that, too.
August 7, 2003, 4:30 PM
Eibro
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=2197;start=15#msg17316 date=1060273838]
That's a lot like Starcraft, although carriers are good, valkeries will kill them. Valkeries will be killed by goliaths. Goliaths will be killed by tanks. Tanks will be killed by zerglings. Zerglings will be killed by lurkers. Lurkers will be killed by carriers.

Everything has a strong point and a weak point in Starcraft, and D2 is a lot like that, too.
[/quote]With all those interceptor sprites on the screen, I'd be suprised if the Valkeries ever got a shot off.
August 7, 2003, 4:48 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=Skywing link=board=2;threadid=2197;start=15#msg17314 date=1060273608]
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=2197;start=15#msg17313 date=1060273053]

[/quote]
Any information on how an amazon with Slow Missile would do against that, for instance?
[/quote]

Slow missile is only for range (missiles) ;D Assassins are melee. Dragon Flight just teleports the assassins to the targets side and kicks.
Also note that the assassins damage is largely based on ONE attack (the final), so 75% block and Amazon dodges are vital VS an assassin.
August 7, 2003, 5:31 PM
iago
[quote author=Eibro link=board=2;threadid=2197;start=15#msg17319 date=1060274915]
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=2197;start=15#msg17316 date=1060273838]

[/quote]With all those interceptor sprites on the screen, I'd be suprised if the Valkeries ever got a shot off.
[/quote]

With equal numbers (say, 12 vs 12) the valkeries have enough spread to kill most of the intereceptors in the first barrage, and they have enough health to get off a second one, which would take care of the rest of the interceptors and start damaging the carriers.
August 7, 2003, 8:10 PM
Eibro
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=2197;start=30#msg17340 date=1060287022]
[quote author=Eibro link=board=2;threadid=2197;start=15#msg17319 date=1060274915]

[/quote]

With equal numbers (say, 12 vs 12) the valkeries have enough spread to kill most of the intereceptors in the first barrage, and they have enough health to get off a second one, which would take care of the rest of the interceptors and start damaging the carriers.
[/quote]Yes, ignoring the stupid sprite bug which hinders the valkeries attack.
August 8, 2003, 12:26 AM

Search