Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Making a Bot.

AuthorMessageTime
Death-LoD
I am not really sure were to start on the actual making of a bot. Can you help?
July 29, 2003, 12:22 PM
Adron
Start by deciding what kind of bot you want - make a list of the features you want to have in it. Then spend a while thinking about whether you really want to spend all that time it's going to take to write the bot. If you're really up to it.

If you decide that you do want to waste so much time, next step is to pick a language to write it in, and start researching and making design decisions: Study the basic principles for how bots work. Decide whether you want to use something like csb or write your own code to manage the battle.net connection. Think about what kind of (if any) GUI you want - using VB/MFC/plain Windows/a web interface or whatever.

When all the decisions have been made, you just write out the code, debug it, and then enjoy running your bot.

July 29, 2003, 12:32 PM
Eternal
+1 to Adron for being so patient and helpful.
July 29, 2003, 12:34 PM
Death-LoD
Do u suggest any programs for Windows Xp for writing the script out cause that's one of things that through my off not nowing were to make it at.
July 29, 2003, 12:39 PM
Eternal
If you're starting from scratch, probably Visual Basic 6 is the easiest to pick up... Have a good look around this forum first though, there's a lot of information here. Think about what Aadron said too about studying the basic principles of a bot. The chosen language and bnet connection will depend on your programming knowledge/ability and how much time you can dedicate to it.
July 29, 2003, 12:43 PM
Death-LoD
Thanks Adron and Eternal.
July 29, 2003, 12:47 PM
iago
[quote author=Adron link=board=17;threadid=2122;start=0#msg16363 date=1059481957]Then spend a while thinking about whether you really want to spend all that time it's going to take to write the bot. If you're really up to it.[/quote]

I spent about 2 months of semi-steady work on my bot before I ever started programming, then I spent maybe a week to program it in c++ (not counting a couple classes I already wrote for Buffers and Winsock). If you do it right, you should expect a lot of work ahead of you, but it will feel damn good when you're done :)
July 29, 2003, 2:05 PM
Death-LoD
Do you guys have any tutorials that might be of use that help explain how to get started step by step? And what do you guys suggest is a good place to start learning about and were can i find things about it? :-\
July 29, 2003, 10:55 PM
FuZe
Hm.. If you wantd to make it in visual basic, you should buy the professional version (or enterprise version), and then pick up a book and start learning how to program. If you are really eager to learn how to make a bot, then you'll probably learn quickly. And if you get stuck theres always people here willing to help you out.
July 30, 2003, 1:03 AM
Death-LoD
Thanks ;D
July 30, 2003, 1:12 AM
hismajesty
If you get the vb6 program you could always enroll in vb 101, we've completed two classes...but I could get you caught up over aim if youd like to enroll head over to the computer science section and sign up

https://davnit.net/bnet/vL/phpbbs/index.php?board=24

Edit: WTF is with my karma i went from +2/-10 to +17/-26 to +23/-33 in less than 2 minutes
July 30, 2003, 1:13 AM

Search