Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Winsock vs API Calls

AuthorMessageTime
ioSys
I wonder how much faster it would be to make the anaroch program with API calls instead of using a winsock control in it. just curious if it is some big winnings. (at leeast in the long run) :)

(Its a program that retreives a page, filtering the data it gets and then its sending back the right request to the page again gaining experience)
July 28, 2003, 3:27 PM
Adron
[quote author=ioSys link=board=5;threadid=2118;start=0#msg16247 date=1059406041]
I wonder how much faster it would be to make the anaroch program with API calls instead of using a winsock control in it. just curious if it is some big winnings. (at leeast in the long run) :)

(Its a program that retreives a page, filtering the data it gets and then its sending back the right request to the page again gaining experience)
[/quote]

You can expect an unnoticable improvement. The overhead from using a control instead of api is magnitudes smaller than the overhead of round-trip-times.

July 28, 2003, 5:29 PM
ioSys
okey thanks! then my question got an answear.
I tried a bot made by someone else. it seemed to be made in java and it was quite much faster than the one in vb....strange i think because i thougt that vb one was quite optimal.
July 29, 2003, 3:49 PM
Adron
[quote author=ioSys link=board=5;threadid=2118;start=0#msg16378 date=1059493778]
okey thanks! then my question got an answear.
I tried a bot made by someone else. it seemed to be made in java and it was quite much faster than the one in vb....strange i think because i thougt that vb one was quite optimal.
[/quote]

Was it really faster or did it only seem faster? Perhaps it loaded urls blind instead of waiting for a response to the previous request?
July 30, 2003, 6:13 AM

Search