Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Anyone maybe interrested in helping out?

AuthorMessageTime
Skull
Well, looking for some good ASM people to help us out on PvPGN. Most ASM people (well the two of them) are not always around and we have alot of things to do which takes time are pretty rock hard.

Currently making loaders is the biggest problem. The loaders created are patching memory addresses. The guy currently making this (zap), current loader fixes the IX86ver request and patches the password hash with the sc/bw hash. It uses a public / private key algorithm to check if the server ip is authentic which you are therefore unable to emulate. So therefore the loader changes the one bit hash and thus making the check disapear.
The goal is of course to see if someone is able to make a autoadaptive no cd loader...
Also working on TIPS right now (the system blizz uses to merge servers and split the network load on multiple servers. A kewl thing for the community to use.
PvPGN is free source and free for all to download. If you think you can help then check us out on irc.pvpgn.org in #pvpgn
July 27, 2003, 10:51 PM
gosumoo
pvpgn is a bunch of stupid people have have no life... if they recreate bnet what are you gunna use it for? all you do is abuse ur power on it (aka warnet) people host it and ban people... who cares about another server go out side and do something other than sit on a game all day
~ NaKeD
August 1, 2003, 6:43 PM
UserLoser
I don't think that your reply (gosumoo) is appropriate. Someone here is looking for HELP, they don't need your attitude at all.

Also, Skull, I'm sure there are a lot of people here with well enough ASM knowledge to help you out, the only question is who, and will they. As for my self, I don't know ASM so I can't help you out. :-\

BTW, you should have posted this in Assembly or Advanced programming forum since it has to do with ASM. :P
August 2, 2003, 2:15 AM
Adron
Also, you should post details on exactly what you need done. If you just throw out a post at a time when you need something done, chances aren't that slim that someone will actually just do it to see how it can be done.
August 2, 2003, 10:34 AM
Skull
Well we kinda have problems with loaders mostly and the no-cd cracks. The two loader guys whos making all of this are in a troubled time with their life and we are dependet on aCID (which noone really knows who is) to make the no-cd cracks.
Anyway, if possible (I think it is, but not really my field) is to make some kind of auto adaptive no-cd loader that will apply itself in the right memory space on each new patch.
We did discuss this sometimes internally, but it never really came to much as the ASM people were not around.

gosumoo - some people cant afford to buy blizzard games and they need another service to play on for free. Also modders benefit from this very much because you can theoretically speaking create your own D2/Wc3 mod and host a game server (CS style).
Its all free source and I know that at least 20-30k people use this. Which is why I was hoping that someone might cut the string to the endless fight against patches from Blizz....
Anything else I can provice with, just tell me and I will do my best to explain it.
August 4, 2003, 9:43 AM
iago
No-cd crack? Sounds illegal, wouldn't want to dirty my hands in that.

[quote]some people cant afford to buy blizzard games and they need another service to play on for free[/quote]
Bull.
August 4, 2003, 10:15 AM
Adron
Aren't there generic safedisc or whatever cracks?
August 4, 2003, 11:57 AM
Raven
[quote author=Adron link=board=5;threadid=2107;start=0#msg16993 date=1059998231]
[/quote]

Each Blizzard title has a unique disk-check function (with the exception of D1, Hellfire, and I think SC pre 1.04 copies) and the later a Blizzard title, the more advanced it is, so a universal no-cd crack would be theoretically impossible (unless it's all the no-cd cracks packed together in one program). This is just one of the reasons Blizzard titles are so hard to crack completely.
August 4, 2003, 3:04 PM
Arta
PVPGN is a hopelessly useless emulator. It breaks the BNCS protocol regularly and, in my experience, has been extremely slow. If you're seeking programmers, you should also find some people to fix it. (No, I'm not volunteering)
August 4, 2003, 4:45 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Raven link=board=5;threadid=2107;start=0#msg17000 date=1060009475]
[quote author=Adron link=board=5;threadid=2107;start=0#msg16993 date=1059998231]
[/quote]

Each Blizzard title has a unique disk-check function (with the exception of D1, Hellfire, and I think SC pre 1.04 copies) and the later a Blizzard title, the more advanced it is, so a universal no-cd crack would be theoretically impossible (unless it's all the no-cd cracks packed together in one program). This is just one of the reasons Blizzard titles are so hard to crack completely.
[/quote]
Err.. No, that's'not true at all.
SC/BW (ALL versions), D1, Hellfire, and W2BNE also use the same cd check at the same spot in a shared library common to all Blizzard games.
Diablo II and Warcraft III both use generic SecuROM.
August 4, 2003, 5:31 PM
Raven
[quote author=Skywing link=board=5;threadid=2107;start=0#msg17007 date=1060018311]
[quote author=Raven link=board=5;threadid=2107;start=0#msg17000 date=1060009475]
[/quote]

[/quote]
SC/BW (ALL versions), D1, Hellfire, and W2BNE also use the same cd check at the same spot in a shared library common to all Blizzard games.
[/quote]

Ok Sky, go put together a universal no-cd crack that authenticates constantly, and log the different "unforseen problem" that you encounter.
August 4, 2003, 5:54 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Raven link=board=5;threadid=2107;start=0#msg17008 date=1060019688]
[quote author=Skywing link=board=5;threadid=2107;start=0#msg17007 date=1060018311]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Ok Sky, go put together a universal no-cd crack that authenticates constantly, and log the different "unforseen problem" that you encounter.
[/quote]
That has already been done for the SC/BW/D1/W2 check many times before.
I never tried to hack the SecuROM; however, a generic crack ought to work for that.
August 4, 2003, 7:06 PM
Skull
Yea true, its SecuRom on the Wc3. But I dont see how you can actually apply this to face all the future patches. Well guess you might know this...anyway, anyone welcome to help as I said.
August 4, 2003, 10:51 PM
CupHead
[off-topic] Hey, Skull, long time no see. Been three or so years, I think.[/off-topic]
August 5, 2003, 1:21 AM
Skywing
[quote author=Skull link=board=5;threadid=2107;start=0#msg17042 date=1060037512]
Yea true, its SecuRom on the Wc3. But I dont see how you can actually apply this to face all the future patches. Well guess you might know this...anyway, anyone welcome to help as I said.
[/quote]
There is a limited amount of things they can change with SecuROM as the physical game CDs themselves are already "set in stone" so to speak.
Since most of the checking will have to be done with DeviceIoControl, perhaps you could 'train' it to work with a specific SecuROM version; for instance, record IOCTLs made with a "legitimate" CD and "fix up" these for a burned CD.
August 5, 2003, 6:34 AM
Adron
[quote author=Skywing link=board=5;threadid=2107;start=0#msg17077 date=1060065299]
Since most of the checking will have to be done with DeviceIoControl, perhaps you could 'train' it to work with a specific SecuROM version; for instance, record IOCTLs made with a "legitimate" CD and "fix up" these for a burned CD.
[/quote]

I did this for the D2 beta and it worked just fine. I'm sure it'll work for War3 too. I haven't fixed mine up for current version, but I wouldn't mind having one, it's annoying to have to find and insert the CD when you want to play. Lots of unnecessary wear on the disc.

Still, I don't think that no-cd cracks is something that belongs in a b.net server distribution. Having a hack for the server IP check is one thing, that's a must to fix up the compatibility issue between game and server. If all of your people need a no-cd crack to be able to play, then you're really just all about pirating? I thought there was a desire to produce something that was better than b.net too?

August 5, 2003, 11:37 AM
Adron
Btw, about the server IP authentication... Would it be possible to just hack winsock into always tell War3 that it was connecting to IP X where X was a b.net server IP and use a real, fixed hash that you got from that server?
August 5, 2003, 11:39 AM
Skull
I guess it was. But I talked to some of the WF guys and hacking the dll and changing the one bit was always the easiest. Why fake it instead of just skipping the auth?
About the no-cd...no its not warez. A no-cd crack is used by the people who wants to play with their backup cd to keep their original cd unscrathed ;)
Warez is the game itself and PvPGN doesnt support warez. Just rogue servers with modding capabilities.
Hey Cup ;D
Btw what realm are you guys in? Adron you said Bnet but what server and channel?
Cheers
August 5, 2003, 2:46 PM
Adron
The advantage of faking it would be that there's no need to make a new patch for every new version. Just what you were asking for...

About no-cd cracks: One of those should let you play without any cd at all. Not with a backup cd.
August 5, 2003, 5:13 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Adron link=board=5;threadid=2107;start=15#msg17109 date=1060103618]
The advantage of faking it would be that there's no need to make a new patch for every new version. Just what you were asking for...

About no-cd cracks: One of those should let you play without any cd at all. Not with a backup cd.

[/quote]
Note that War3 might not use getpeername and may just save the IP it tried to connect to, so you may have to catch and rewrite that in more than one place.
Additionally, this would probably make the in-game server selector useless if you're just going to be overriding it always anyway. Maybe you could put a selector in the patcher itself.
August 5, 2003, 6:16 PM
Skull
Well I got someone else that answered this for you Adron and Sky as I couldn get this right so here it goes:

<Lord-Z> yeh but you'd technically spoof the ip
<Lord-Z> it encrypts not only the ip
<Lord-Z> but also a tickcount
<Lord-Z> passed by the client
<Lord-Z> we can obviously decrypt it
<Lord-Z> cause we got the public key
<Lord-Z> which is in the client
<Lord-Z> but the private key is server-side
<Lord-Z> so we can't possibly encrypt the right tick
<Lord-Z> and if you patch the tick, then you need a loader again :)
<`Skull> yes but for an emulated server will this be nescesarry?
<`Skull> to have both keys
<Lord-Z> yes
<Lord-Z> unless
<Lord-Z> you patch the public key in the client
<Lord-Z> but that also requires a loader :)

This should answer it....
August 5, 2003, 9:25 PM
iago
Ugh, it's so annoying when people press <enter> every 3 or 4 words.
August 5, 2003, 10:32 PM
Adron
Ah, I was wondering if it encrypted the tick count from the client too. I guess faking it is out of the question then. Too bad.
August 6, 2003, 11:01 AM
Skywing
[quote author=Adron link=board=5;threadid=2107;start=15#msg17184 date=1060167698]
Ah, I was wondering if it encrypted the tick count from the client too. I guess faking it is out of the question then. Too bad.
[/quote]
Interesting. My client currently only decrypts the server IP address; I suppose I'll update it some time.
Still, you could easily hook GetTickCount.
If they call it from multiple threads, you could try something like checking the threadid requesting a tick count and making a decision on whether to returrn the modified value or not.

Additionally since the public key doesn't change much in the client it would really be trivial to just search memory for the old key and patch in a new key.
August 6, 2003, 6:03 PM
Adron
[quote author=Skywing link=board=5;threadid=2107;start=15#msg17214 date=1060193035]
Additionally since the public key doesn't change much in the client it would really be trivial to just search memory for the old key and patch in a new key.
[/quote]

*That* was a good idea. If that particular public key is only used for the server verification it should be very easy to make a generic hack to search for it in memory and replace it with one that authenticates your server.
August 6, 2003, 6:11 PM
Skull
So Skywing what you say is that making a request to see where the changes are and then auto patch it should work eh....
Well sounds like a good idea yea, lets just hope our loader guys actually still exsists *coughAdroncough*
August 7, 2003, 7:52 AM

Search