Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | VB Programming Tutorials

AuthorMessageTime
DrivE
I'm aware Cuphead wrote one such tutorial and I have read it. I'm wondering if anybody else has suggestions as to where to find a well-done bot-programming tutorial for VB. I tried searching for more threads on this if I missed them post them below and I'll look at them. Thanks.

!~!HaZaRD!~!
July 26, 2003, 2:17 AM
hismajesty
http://botdev.valhallalegends.com

Edit: Why Not Also Sign Up For A Class Such As VB 101

https://davnit.net/bnet/vL/phpbbs/index.php?board=24;action=display;threadid=2047;start=new;boardseen=1
July 26, 2003, 2:20 AM
RhiNo
Talk to Stealth i guess he teaches people idk when or where but i know he does it in an aim chat room somewhere out there
July 27, 2003, 8:32 PM
hismajesty
he teaches vb 201
July 27, 2003, 9:32 PM
DaRk-FeAnOr
I learned from
www.vbtutor.net
Reading a book on it will also work. Something on the lines of Visual Basic 6 for Dummies. Also, the best way to learn the language is to play around programming in it, and to learn off of sources from www.pscode.com
July 28, 2003, 2:37 PM
Eternal
Beware of learning off sources. Sometimes they can help point you in a particular direction, but you can easily get sucked into sloppy programming habits etc.
July 30, 2003, 6:20 AM
DaRk-FeAnOr
Well it is the best way to learn such things as reading/writing to a .txt file. That most tutorials/books/leasons/means of learning do not cover.
July 30, 2003, 6:35 AM
Eternal
I disagree. Again, sloppy coding, poor habits can be picked up by learning off people. Reading and writing to a text file was certainly covered in a book I read. I guess it depends on what book you get. <shrugs>

For example, one source I was asked to help someone with was opening and closing the same text file way too many times. They had copied it from someone else without really understanding what it did. After some minor modifications, it was only opened once on loading and once on saving/exiting. It's little things like that which can be easily missed if the coder does not understand the best ways to optimize their code.
July 30, 2003, 10:11 AM
Soul Taker
On the flip side, if you get source from a coding guru, you can learn ways to code more efficiently. I have learned many optimizations from other people's code.
July 30, 2003, 10:14 AM
Eternal
Can't argue with that. You can learn some good things from others, particularly if you know the developer, or their work.
July 30, 2003, 12:46 PM
Grok
[quote author=Eternal link=board=17;threadid=2075;start=0#msg16486 date=1059559903]
I disagree. Again, sloppy coding, poor habits can be picked up by learning off people. Reading and writing to a text file was certainly covered in a book I read. I guess it depends on what book you get. <shrugs>

For example, one source I was asked to help someone with was opening and closing the same text file way too many times. They had copied it from someone else without really understanding what it did. After some minor modifications, it was only opened once on loading and once on saving/exiting. It's little things like that which can be easily missed if the coder does not understand the best ways to optimize their code.
[/quote]

Context can make a big difference, too. The code sample you speak of could have come from a project in which one requirement was that the file only be opened when needed to read or write. It could be that the file was shared among dozens of users, each required to wait for an exclusive lock to read+write.

This is why I emphasize to all you guys that there are often many "right" answers. Even with equal requirements, projects can be solved in lots of different ways and all be approximately equally good.
July 30, 2003, 6:23 PM
Eternal
I take your point. There's more than one way to skin a cat as they say. I guess some might be more 'efficient' than others, but they all get there :)
July 31, 2003, 6:14 AM
Styth
Would it be better if people learned QBasic first?
July 31, 2003, 6:23 AM
Camel
[quote author=Geek link=board=17;threadid=2075;start=0#msg16570 date=1059632598]
Would it be better is people would lear QBasic First?
[/quote]

I'm going to ignore the multiple gramatical errors in that question and just answer it:
Probably not. QBasic is so old that it would almost do no more good to learn it than it would to just learn VB. VB (version 6, that is) itself is already five years old.
July 31, 2003, 8:16 AM

Search